JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Back in 1971, when I was a Calif. police officer, Ruger sent out a flier to all the PDs about their new Ruger DA revolver, in .38 and .357. The cops got first crack at them. $97.00
They were in 2.75, 4 and 6 inch barrel length, blued only at that time. Stainless came out in '75.
I bought one for the novelty of it. Not as smooth an action as my S&W model 19, but rugged and very easy to disassemble. I liked them....still do.
Manufactured from 1971-1988, I am wondering why we don't see more of them for sale.
Would it be because they seemingly last forever and few want to part with them?

Tall order for an opinion.:eek:

Yep, these "Sixes" are pretty indestructible. With just a little internal polishing, they could be made as smooth as any S&W of the day.

Security/Speed/Police Service Sixes were an absolute bargain for many years. Almost not worth selling, especially considering what a sweetheart revolver they are.

Skip forward a few decades. Folks are now realizing how they should have given these revolvers just a tad more respect, as they now are learning that there's no modern revolver to compare to the old Security Sixes. Folks are clamoring for them. Prices are escalating on them.

So today, they are relatively scarce in the classified ads. But the folks that are buying these guns are mostly on the mature side. When we've aged-out, the youngsters that would not understand the reasoning behind an all-metal gun that shoots only six rounds will pass the Security Sixes up, and I expect the market to be saturated with these and other quality guns.

WAYNO.

P1000583.jpg

Last Edited:
Thank you for that opinion. Nice photo.
Lucky for me, I found a .38 stainless, 4" Service Six, a couple years ago, with a bobbed hammer(DA Only) at a very good price. I would say that it had been worked over, because it has a nice, smooth, lighter trigger.
Went to visit my son near Portland last summer and brought that gun along. I told him that I hadn't shot it yet and would give it a try when we got to the Mt. Hood Nat. Forest.
I set up an orange clay and dropped back 50 yards, loaded up 6 of my pet reloads, with my own cast bullets, and asked him to spot with the scope to see how close I got, when it hit the dirt.
Much to my surprise, I hadn't lost anything on my control of double action shooting, as the clay blew into little pieces with the very first shot.
My son called it the best shot ever...... and I told him, it was one of my best shots. :D
I was very pleased with my purchase after that.

I met my wife when she took my gun class, 23 years ago. She had shot a little with friends, and had her own stainless, .357 4" Security Six for the shooting portion.
After I married her, I found out that she had a stubby, blued .38, Speed Six as well.
So between the two of us, we own all three examples of these fine Ruger guns.

I have both a new (4" GP-100) and old (6" Security-Six) I find others like the GP better to shoot because of the rubber grips but I like the Security -Six with it's factory wood target grips better.

As a former Security Six owner (two actually) I would like to know just what is the difference with the GP 100 styles...

I put Hough Grips on my 4" Stainless... it was my EDC, I had no desire, then for semi-automatic pistols.

I still prefer a revolver and have considered the GP100, but have never taken the "next step" and gone shopping or even studying... I could not believe it when they shut down production of the Six'es... I knew a "real" bayou hunter, who only used his Service Six Four Inch for hunting, and ate his Venison Jerky in camp, Four of them living on Horseback, in the back country of NE Washington... Probably into Idaho by now!!!!

Now, all my Rugers are for Woods, and hunting... A (rare) Super Single Six, and an Old Model 7 1/2" barrell 45 Colt, the dual cylinder one... 45 acp as well as the old fashioned 45 Colt.

Thank you in advance, for replying....

philip

The GP100 and Security Six are similar in design, but with a few differences. The GP cylinder locks on the crane, where the Security Six locks on the ejector rod. The GP has a grip stud, where the Sec Six has a full gripframe. Bill Ruger complained that the Security Six was very expensive to make, and the change to the GP made the manufacturing costs cheaper on the GP. Why, I don't know, as they're so similar.

The GP is a little bit tanky compared to the Security Six which I feel is quite suave.

Although I absolutely prefer the Security Six, I will never disrespect the GP100. It's a dandy revolver too.

And a little history with the Security Six series...During Vietnam, Army aircrews carried the old S&W Victory .38 Special, the predecessor to the Model 10. These guns were old. When the Army figured they needed more survival revolvers, they went to Ruger and ordered a batch of Police Service Sixes to augment the Victory Smith.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:
The GP100 and Security Six are similar in design, but with a few differences. The GP cylinder locks on the crane, where the Security Six locks on the ejector rod. The GP has a grip stud, where the Sec Six has a full gripframe. Bill Ruger complained that the Security Six was very expensive to make, and the change to the GP made the manufacturing costs cheaper on the GP. Why, I don't know, as they're so similar.

The GP is a little bit tanky compared to the Security Six which I feel is quite suave.

Although I absolutely prefer the Security Six, I will never disrespect the GP100. It's a dandy revolver too.

And a little history with the Security Six series...During Vietnam, Army aircrews carried the old S&W Victory .38 Special, the predecessor to the Model 10. These guns were old. When the Army figured they needed more survival revolvers, they went to Ruger and ordered a batch of Police Service Sixes to augment the Victory Smith.

WAYNO.

I agree!

Last Edited:
Wolff Springs makes a spring pak that will lighten the double action trigger pull weight by almost half.
Here is a good write up by David Tong describing the history and value of the "Sixes"

<broken link removed>

Wolff Springs makes a spring pak that will lighten the double action trigger pull weight by almost half.
Here is a good write up by David Tong describing the history and value of the "Sixes"

<broken link removed>
I've read this before...a very good review. He doesn't mention the initial offering police price from Bill Ruger....$97, but I was there when it happened. Within the first 2 months of introduction, I bought one in all 3 barrel lengths. My Dept. gave us an initial $600 for clothing and equipment allotment, and then $350 per year thereafter for the duration of your service. I was flush with everything else I needed at the time ........and didn't know what I was going to do with the money for 1971. Ruger answered that question. My Capt. and Chief were big gun guys with their own FFLs....and approved all three guns for me. After that purchase, I still had $59 left over.
I'll check into those Wolff spring kits.....thanks.

When you were with the department and received the annual equipment allotment, you should have bought a Python and tucked it away.
I did ....in 1975. I bought a used blued 6" one, in excellent condition, with a total action job....for $150.
The action is as smooth as any I have ever felt, on any gun....

Back in 1971, when I was a Calif. police officer, Ruger sent out a flier to all the PDs about their new Ruger DA revolver, in .38 and .357. The cops got first crack at them. $97.00
They were in 2.75, 4 and 6 inch barrel length, blued only at that time. Stainless came out in '75.
I bought one for the novelty of it. Not as smooth an action as my S&W model 19, but rugged and very easy to disassemble. I liked them....still do.
Manufactured from 1971-1988, I am wondering why we don't see more of them for sale.
Would it be because they seemingly last forever and few want to part with them?

In 1982 I bought a stainless Security Six, .357, with 2.75 inch barrel for $257.00 My complaint then, as now, was that Ruger revolver springs were much too heavy. Because of this, it languished in a drawer for years. But as the years passed and I became more adept, I've made it into a very shootable little gun. The Wolff reduced power hammer spring for this gun, when installed, gives a double action trigger pull of around 14 lbs. Much too heavy. I told Wolff so, and they sent me their reduced power GP100 hammer spring, a light spring. I cut two coils off of it and installed it. I've also smoothed and tuned the action and replaced the other springs. (The inside of the channel for the hand spring was particularly rough.) Now I've got a smooth running gn with a double action trigger pull around 8.5 lbs., and a single action pull just a little over 2 lbs.

It's not iconic like the S & W snake guns, but it is well made, very reliable, durable, and best of all it's fun to shoot. I wouldn't even consider parting with it.

As a former Security Six owner (two actually) I would like to know just what is the difference with the GP 100 styles...

I put Hough Grips on my 4" Stainless... it was my EDC, I had no desire, then for semi-automatic pistols.

I still prefer a revolver and have considered the GP100, but have never taken the "next step" and gone shopping or even studying... I could not believe it when they shut down production of the Six'es...

Thank you in advance, for replying....

philip

Here's the difference between my two pistols (4" GP-100 and 6" Security -Six) The GP is more rugged and I use if for desert carry, places where I might want to take longer shots at jackrabit size targets and the like. It carrys well and comes to battery easily. I've left the heavy stock springs in but polished the action a bit. It fits well in my perceived needs between my M&P 40 Shield that I have as a concealed carry weapon and my 45colt that I hunt with. I also feel more comfortable carrying it with a round under the hammer than I do a 1911. So kind of utilitarian but a very good tool, none the less.
The Security-Six is more of a BBQ gun, It's Stainless and made in the 200th year of American Freedom. I've got the Ruger target grips on it so it's a pretty piece. The frame is slightly smaller than the GP but is the longer barrel makes them weight about the same I think. I've polished the action and put the lighter Wolfe main spring in. It shoots groups about half the size of the GP and I shoot it as a target pistol rather than a carry piece.

Since starting this thread about 3 weeks ago, I have seen no less than 8, Ruger DAs for sale on this site ..and the brand X site.
I must have triggered... a response! :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top