JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Page 207 of "Firearms Curiosa" by Lewis Winant ,has a side view photograph of the pistol.
The multiple cylinders are held to the the gun by a bar , running through the "cylinder drum" and to the bottom of the revolver's grip.

Joseph Enouy , obtained British patent #1359 in 1855 for this gun.
42 shots.
It is equipped with a revolving framework having an axle fashioned to the grip and to the barrel.
Seven spokes to the wheel , and at the outer end of each spoke is a cylinder , with six chambers.
When one cylinder is empty the framework is turned so a loaded cylinder is in position for firing.*
Taken from Firearms Curiosa , page 208.
Its nice to have a library in my house....:D
Andy

Well I won't sue ya tac.
My book is only one source and it could have the name wrong...

What is more important is that the gun was invented , ideas tried and we had progress in firearm design.

Your post prompted discussion and folks looking up the revolver and Enouy or however his name is spelled...:D
I thought that was one the reasons for a forum.
Andy

I'm called 'tac' because not only can hardly anybody spell my name, most folks down where YOU live can't pronounce it either [unless you live in Lweezyanna], so I use a few spare initials I have hanging around instead, and have done for going on 40 years.

tac

en·nui
änˈwē/
noun
  1. a feeling of listlessness and dissatisfaction arising from a lack of occupation or excitement.
    synonyms: boredom, tedium, listlessness, lethargy, lassitude, languor, weariness, enervation; More

I'm called 'tac' because not only can hardly anybody spell my name, most folks down where YOU live can't pronounce it either [unless you live in Lweezyanna], so I use a few spare initials I have hanging around instead, and have done for going on 40 years.

tac

So is your name Welsh by any chance? Next guess would be French from your Lweezyanna. Lots of French surnames in the UK for almost a 1,000 years now.

So is your name Welsh by any chance? Next guess would be French from your Lweezyanna. Lots of French surnames in the UK for almost a 1,000 years now.

Naw, come to think of it, there are no detectably Welsh surnames these days, unless you count those that have become part of the rest of the mélange of so-called English surnames.

Apart from the obvious, one, 'Welsh/Walsh', the following are actually Welsh surnames, made by adding the letter 'P' to the name of the family. That letter 'P' as actually the 'P' of the Welsh word 'ap' meaning 'son of', soooooooooo....

1. Pritchard - ap Richard.

2. Price/Preese - ap Rhees.

3. Powell - ap Hywel.

4. Bowen - ap/b Owen/

5. Upjohn - ap John.

These are the most common surnames in Wales -
  1. Jones (5.75)
  2. Williams (3.72)
  3. Davies (3.72)
  4. Evans (2.47)
  5. Thomas (2.43)
  6. Roberts (1.53)
  7. Lewis (1.53)
  8. Hughes (1.23)
  9. Morgan (1.16)
  10. Griffiths (0.96)
  11. Edwards (0.93)
  12. Smith (0.85)
  13. James (0.82)
  14. Rees (0.81)
  15. Jenkins (0.69)
  16. Owen (0.67)
  17. Price (0.67)
  18. Phillips (0.65)
  19. Moss (0.63)
  20. Driscoll (0.53)
  21. Collins (0.48)
As for first names, this list [in Welsh. of course] of the current most popular boys' and girls' names might help you to choose a name for your next child, after all, Welsh was spoken in ALL of Great Britain until well after the Romans left....

Bechgyn [boys]

1) Dylan 163 (1)
2) Osian 127 (3)
3) Harri 120 (2)
4) Jac 97 (6)
5) Rhys 95 (4)
6) Evan 92 (5)
7) Tomos 76 (8)
8) Cai 70 (9)
9) Ioan 68 (10)
10) Morgan 67 (7)[4]

Unlisted names for boys are Gwalchmai, Glafis, Emrys.

Menywod [girls]
1) Seren 119 (1)
2) Ffion 105 (4)
3) Erin 101 (3)
4) Megan 91 (2)
5) Mali 64 (5)
6) Nia 48 (-)
7) Alys 47 (7)
8) Carys 44 (-)
9) Efa 43 (-)
10) Cadi 37 (6)

Unlisted names for girls are - Gaenor [often spelled with a 'y'], Elinor and Blodwen
Hope this helps.

tac

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews