JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
...needing a good laugh, I emailed ol' earl b. to get a rundown on his stance on 2nd Amendment issues. Here is the frightening reply:

:(February 2, 2010

Dear Mr. ********,

Thank you very much for writing to me about gun-related legislation in Congress.

Gun control continues to be one of the most reactionary and divisive topics in America. It's interesting to me that it's almost impossible to have a rational conversation about gun control in Congress. It should happen soon, but it probably won't because emotions run so deep regarding this issue.

I believe that safe, responsible gun ownership should be protected, but there is no reason why this cannot be done while simultaneously cracking down on those who give gun owners a bad name.

The most important step in protecting Americans from gun violence is to keep guns away from felons and domestic abusers. In the past, I have signed onto legislation which would require that guns be monitored by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in order to protect Americans from an industry without external controls. I will continue to look for legislation that closes loopholes on the tracking and registration of guns which will ultimately make our communities safer.

We must also ensure the safety of legally purchased guns. There are several technological solutions available today that can keep our children safe from guns that are not locked away. We must invest in "smart gun" technology that will prevent unauthorized users from gaining access to handguns. A second, hidden serial number should be placed on every gun, thereby allowing guns used in crimes to be tracked, and all handguns should feature a load display to prevent accidental shootings. Toy guns, and teddy bears all face more stringent safety oversight and regulation than guns. The powerful gun lobby succeeded in exempting guns from consumer protection standards, and today there is no regulatory body to ensure that guns are properly manufactured - and no one who can issue a recall if they are not. I don't agree with this and think that stronger consumer protections for guns will benefit all Americans

Thank you for your letter. I appreciate hearing from you on this important and controversial issue.

Sincerely,
Earl Blumenauer
Member of Congress

Every gun should also have an integrated webcam that snaps a picture of the person you are about to shoot, and uploads it to the ATF. Then the ATF can decide whether or not to allow your gun to fire. Seems like common sense to me.

...The most important step in protecting Americans from gun violence is to keep guns away from felons and domestic abusers. In the past, I have signed onto legislation which would require that guns be monitored by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in order to protect Americans from an industry without external controls.

This is the exact thing the people are fighting against. The 2nd amendment is there to ensure the state of free people maintains itself. We the people NEED to be able to buy, own, and carry firearms to ensure the gov't doesn't reserve the ability to forcefully take away our rights. An act of tracking our guns and monitoring the firearms gives the govt the loaded deck to be able to do just what our forefathers fought against.
If I want to enslave/kill/run a certain people an I know who has the ability to fight against me I would kill them first and then there's no fight.

One of my favorite quotes,
I thoroughly disapprove of duals. If a man should challenge me I would take him calmly and forgivingly by the hand to a quiet place and kill him.
-Mark Twain

so, this radical considers his seat at the public pig trough to be safe? Time he gets his someuppance. Find out when he next stands for reelection, and work toward fielding a candidate that can beat him, and help him do so.

This sort of thinking is talking out of both sides of his head. On the one side, he says "I'm all for protecting our right to firearms", and on the other, he actively persues all manner of restrictions, requirements, restrictions.... oh, and registration. Anyone who does not fear registration falls into one of two camps.... first, HE wants registration in place as a tool to disarm his probable opponents, or camp number two, he is totally unaware of history.

Time this character sits down on his "safe seat" and rides it right out of town.

I think all politicians' mouths should contain the same items Mr. Blumenauer contends guns should contain....there mouths are way more dangerous than any gun.

Having met Earl and having had more than one conversation with him I find that he fits the exact mold of most politicians and it drives me absolutely bonkers.

He gets elected to represent the people that elected him but once in office he does what he wants and how he wants according to his personal convictions which may have absolutely nothing to do with the convictions of the majority of people that elected him.

Gordon Smith was of the same mold (although at one time I actually worked on his campaign). It just drives me nuts that they get elected by a majority and then ignore that same majority if it serves their personal purpose.

You lot have done a great work of detailing his weaknesses and faults. Time to take those, find a few more, and get to work finding, and fielding, a candidate who will address those weaknesses and beat him.

Find some promises he's made and not actualised. Find needs he remains incapable of meeting. Find places where he has fallen short of the great expectations he raised in the campaigns. Find sectors of his constituency he fails to represent. Make a lot of noise about it..... there is NO political seat that is totally secure. (although some, like Ted Kennedy's, took more than people's campaign efforts to empty)

Think what you want about him, but really? That seems over the top. I'm not saying that I agree with and support what he is saying but making a comment like that is just pathetic.

PKMN_PI makes comments like that all the time, about a lot of different people (and whole groups of people). They're universally disturbing and over-the-top, and just as universally hilarious. Even this last one, even to this bike commutin' liberal. Relax.

I take comments like that personally. I am a bike commuter and have lost a coworker who was hit by a garbage truck. I'm not trying to open a can of worms and start an off subject feud, but some people should really think before they speak.

I'm a kind of left-winger, and I am always disgusted when creeps like Blumenauer get falsely associated with the left-wing. Guys like him give us a bad name!

But I am always confused when politicians who swore the oath to protect and defend the Constitution are working earnestly to the contrary, picking and choosing which Articles and Amendments they want to kill.

Isn't that TREASON?.......................elsullo :huh:

Please, please, please vote this dipstick out. He is so entrenched in my district and has no clue what goes on in it.

Unfortunately career politicians like this never truly leave the government tit, when they are voted out of office one of their cronies appoints them to a pontificated position somewhere like a State University while they bide their time until their next campaign bid.

Look what it took to get rid of Ted Kennedy! On a more serious note Ted Kennedy has been sober nearly 6 months............................

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top