Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Earl Bluemenauer's Gun Control Survey

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Grizzly_A, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

This just got posted today about Gun Control following the tragedy in Colorado. You might make your thoughts and positions known.

Your Thoughts on Gun Safety

2. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

It's already closed, ya Twit !! It's great to have a Member of Congress, that doesn't even know the laws in his own state,.................. jump in on gun control !!

3. VW_Factor

VW_Factor Woodburn Oregon Active Member

I made sure to send an email to his office letting him know that its a bad idea to parrot material from anti-2A firms, when the law has been on the books for 12 years in the state of Oregon. I cannot in good conscience take a poll from a guy who really doesn't even know what hes talking about.

Edit : The bit about "history of DV" is great as well. Does he not know that people with a history of DV are not going to pass the check for a weapon or CHL without going through the court system?

fd15k and (deleted member) like this.
  4. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Sent a message but dont expect a reply other than an automated one.

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Laughable!! But, I filled out the poll anyway!

6. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Not that it will do any good, but here's what I wrote...

7. Cigarlvr313

Cigarlvr313 Washougal Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I wish I could write like that!! 2 Thumbs up!

8. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Kevin at the OFF just sent out an alert about this. Hopefully he won't mind if I paste it here:
    So I am thinking either A: He's such an idiot he can't remember he already helped close the "gun show loophole" in Oregon 12 years ago
    or B: He thinks the voters are such idiots they won't know this "loophole" is already closed. After all, those are the bright minds that keep putting him back in office.

I'm betting B.

9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WHAT since when have private sales at any gun show in Oregon been banned????? Yes you need to do a background check on the buyer but that is hardly a Ban.

10. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Yeah, it's not that private sales are banned, just background checks required.

Although very few private sellers bother with gun shows anymore.

11. ArgyleAdams

ArgyleAdams Portland, OR Active Member

I got the same email. I didn't fill out the poll, but instead sent him the following 2-page response:

(note: I did sign my actual name, not my forum handle ;))

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  12. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

It would appear from the intelligence involved in framing the questions in the survey that someone may have already won the 'race to the bottom'.
    :lolbeat:

13. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You can't possibly take someone who wears a bow tie to work seriously right :laugh:

PhotogUSA3 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Of course you can!

s22404.jpg

s22404.jpg

Darknight and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I know am chiming in rather late, but I commend you for your outstanding reply. Cogent, articulate and very well reasoned. Even though I agree that it will likely do no good in this particular context, please consider speaking up whenever the opportunity presents itself. It is people like you that should be speaking for us. Thanks.

16. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

17. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

I thought I might put a finer point on it for some of you guys.

Dear Congressman Blumenauer,

As a frequent visitor to your lovely district, I was interested to see your recent poll regarding current firearms legislation and regulation. As a person who is involved in the firearms industry I am very well informed as to current regulations involving firearms, and wanted to point out a few ambiguous details in your survey:

Regardless of the size of the ammunition feeding device, very few people are capable of firing 100 shots in a minute due simply to limitations of human physiology. Further, "armor piercing" ammunition is already a highly regulated item per 18 USC sec. 921(a)(17).

For questions 2-4: While I do support the use of background checks, the "No Fly List" often includes babies, grandmothers, and other individuals who have been added to the list in error or omission, it is at best a capricious standard and would needlessly obstruct the free exercise of citizens' second amendment rights.

For those convicted of a "misdemeanor crime of domestic violence" are already prohibited from possessing, purchasing, inheriting or transporting firearms and ammunition. This regulation was passed in 1997 and is 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(9)

At present, the "gun show loophole" exists more on paper than it does in reality. Responsible sellers usually check for a Concealed Weapons License before transacting business with another person. This practice protects the seller from criminal prosecution, as it is a crime to provide a firearm to a convicted felon, a resident of another state, or anyone convicted of misdemeanor crime of domestic violence. Federal penalties for these crimes may exceed $10,000 and up to 10 years in federal prison. Therefore, the "loophole" only exists so long as those who sell firearms to prohibited persons are not prosecuted for these crimes.

The Clinton AWB (aka Brady Bill) did not have a significant effect on violent crime, as very few crimes are committed with AW's. Handguns are the most frequent choice of criminals, and the National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS) has played a significant role in keeping guns out of the hands of criminals while ensuring law abiding citizens have a ready means to defend themselves.

Firearms are tools that know no master, a gun in the hand of a police officer or an American Soldier are comforting, while guns in the hand of the criminal or the terrorist are frightful. The regulation that really needs to come from atrocities like the Aurora, CO shooting are improvements to the NICS system that keep the guns out of the hands of criminals, terrorists, and the criminally insane; yet keep them available to all those who would protect society.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Andrew Van Lahr

PS: Thank you for representing such a vibrant business-friendly district.

18. ecmartinson

ecmartinson Beaverton Oregon New Member

I completed the online Blumenauer survey. I found the questions to be poorly formed and did little to address specifics other than emotional questions.

In response I wrote it office via his web site and provided a narrative of my opinion about each of the questions. I thought there would be a reply at some point but so far nothing. Has anyone who wrote to the congressman else received a response? I realize he isn't the congressman for my zip code but thought a response might be given regardless.

19. Darknight

Darknight Salem Active Member

I think what was meant was the guy walking around the gun shows with a sign and guns for sale. I have seen these people at gun shows in smaller towns. I was at one earlier this year and saw a guy just walking around with guns on him selling them. Those type of sales do not have backgrounds done. Usually anyone involved with the show has to do background checks. So yes, those type of private sales have been banned for many years at most gun shows, but not all.

20. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Sales at a gun show in OR require a backround check. A gun show is when more than 25 guns are available for transfer at the venue. These statutes are relevant. Transfer of Firearms at Gun Shows http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.438 A gun show with more than 25 guns available for transfer in ORS 166.432. http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.432