Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ear protection: MSA Sordin supreme pro X or Pro Ears Pro Tac Mag Gold?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RifleEnthusiast, Mar 18, 2012.

1. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

I am looking at picking one of these two:
    1. MSA Sordin supreme pro X - MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X hearing protection headset
    Or,
    2. Pro Ears Pro Tac Mag Gold - Pro Ears Pro Tac Mag Gold NRR 33 Electronic Ear Muffs

The price is pretty much the same and thus not a deciding factor (the pro ears can be had from Amazon for ~$280). It seems that the Sordin is NRR 18 vs NRR 33 for the Pro Ears, looking at just this number alone I would pick the Pro Ears, do you guys have opinions/pros/cons to say about either of these?
    My first and utmost concern is ear protection (mostly outdoor) but it would be nice to use indoor too, as well as being comfortable of course. I am hoping that either will be usable with a rifle stock. I know that the Pro ears is a lot bulkier (or at least it looks that way).

2. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

I've used the model of Pro Ears you considering since 1995. I'm on my second pair and I wear mine a lot! As long as you shoulder and index your rifle correctly it will not interfere. If you shoulder incorrectly then the larger cup will interfere. I hunt with mine, compete, and train in mine in all sorts of non tradition positions and never had any issues. Again proper indexing is the key. The only weak spot is heavy rain can seep into the outer microphones and cause static in the electronics. But this is semi rare. I slowly dry mine after use and keep them in a hard protective case with Dessicant to keep them dry.

3. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

If you decide to get MSA, make you sure you get gel ear pads. (MSA Pro X is not really designed for long time continues shooting)

At indoor, always double up for the maximum protection.

4. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

+1

5. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

I ordered the Pro Ears based on the reviews I saw about them (they're still on the way), thanks for the advice re: doubling up..I've come to know this is EXTREMELY important at all times really.