JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some excellent Honeywell earmuffs with Bluetooth. But they're, well, big! I'd like to get something more low profile. However, off-the-shelf earplugs/inserts never work for me. Something about the shape of my ears just isn't compatible with them - either they don't fit snugly enough (or even worse, spontaneously fall out), or else they're so tight that they hurt like hell after only a short amount of time.

I was watching a concert the other day and thought, 'Wait a minute, they all have custom stuff in their ears these days so that they can hear the rest of the band. Can I get something like that, custom-fitted to my ears?'

So...can I? Do you guys have anything like this that you can recommend?

And for bonus points, are there any with Bluetooth so that I can sync with my phone, answer calls, listen to music, etc.? (This wouldn't just be for shooting. I go to a lot of noisy environments in my job, too, which is why I bought the Honeywells.)

I dont have anything I can recommend only because I have not -yet- tried.
So I dont know how any of these custom fit in ears but I have a few in ear options I can share that Im considering, both connect to bluetooth.

The Caldwell brand offers 23db noise reduction
The Go Axil Sig Sauer brand offers 29db noise reduction

Side note for hearing loss: they are also advertising hearing amplification. I read somewhere the FDA is drafting definitions for "OTC Hearing aids" because earbud technology and hearing aid tech are supposedly merging. The Go Axil (not sig endorsed) has some offerings of hearing protection earbuds more specific to slight hearing loss but cost a lot more.

I have some excellent Honeywell earmuffs with Bluetooth. But they're, well, big! I'd like to get something more low profile. However, off-the-shelf earplugs/inserts never work for me. Something about the shape of my ears just isn't compatible with them - either they don't fit snugly enough (or even worse, spontaneously fall out), or else they're so tight that they hurt like hell after only a short amount of time.

I was watching a concert the other day and thought, 'Wait a minute, they all have custom stuff in their ears these days so that they can hear the rest of the band. Can I get something like that, custom-fitted to my ears?'

So...can I? Do you guys have anything like this that you can recommend?

And for bonus points, are there any with Bluetooth so that I can sync with my phone, answer calls, listen to music, etc.? (This wouldn't just be for shooting. I go to a lot of noisy environments in my job, too, which is why I bought the Honeywells.)

I dont have anything I can recommend only because I have not -yet- tried.
So I dont know how any of these custom fit in ears but I have a few in ear options I can share that Im considering, both connect to bluetooth.

The Caldwell brand offers 23db noise reduction
The Go Axil Sig Sauer brand offers 29db noise reduction

Side note for hearing loss: they are also advertising hearing amplification. I read somewhere the FDA is drafting definitions for "OTC Hearing aids" because earbud technology and hearing aid tech are supposedly merging. The Go Axil (not sig endorsed) has some offerings of hearing protection earbuds more specific to slight hearing loss but cost a lot more.
I do NOT recommend squirting Cheez-Whiz into your ears in the hopes of getting a custom mold of your outter and middle ears……. Just for the record.

:s0131:

If you don't find anything, I'm a big fan of the Surefire Sonic Defenders. I like the EP4's.

I hate foamies because I always have a hell of a time getting them inserted properly. My right ear is fine but something about my left ear always gives me fits. These are much easier to insert.

Note that there are two sizing factors here...the size of the plugs themselves (which depend on the size of your ear canals), and the size of the outer part that fits your concha (your outer ear). The size of both of these components increases as you move up from, say, a medium to a large. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Tetra Hearing looks like the Cadillac of this product sector, with the price tag to match!

These look interesting. Anyone heard of them? https://www.decibullz.com/hearing-protection/
Those didn't work well for me. Couldn't get a good ear fit and finally gave up.

Sorry to hear that the foam plugs didn't work for you since I've seen them with up to 28db reduction. Try different sizes in right & left ears?

ETA: I use the Surefire ET7's and double up. My ear canals are different sizes so having the additional sizes available is a plus.

These are fantastic. Extremely comfortable, excellent battery life, excellent sound (exactly like normal speaking and like my ComTac3 Peltor over ear), and normal hearing protection levels. Downsides are $400 is expensive. Got mine on sale for $325 but ouch. Totally worth it once you know how good they are. Also I wish volume control was more incremental. It's either normal speaking or 5x hearing which can be too much if not outdoors. Still I haven't used anything else for a couple years since owning them, unless at an indoor range where I always double up. I did shoot them indoors just to see and they are tolerable which they are. Really do think they are the best going right now for a reasonable price

Last Edited:

These are fantastic. Extremely comfortable, excellent battery life, excellent sound (exactly like normal speaking and like my ComTac3 Peltor over ear), and normal hearing protection levels. Downsides are $400 is expensive. Got mine on sale for $325 but ouch. Totally worth it once you know how good they are. Also I wish volume control was more incremental. It's either normal speaking or 5x hearing which can be too much if not outdoors. Still I haven't used anything else for a couple years since owning then, unless at an indoor range where I always double up. I did shoot them indoors just to see and they are tolerable. Really do think they are the best going right now for a reasonable price
Otto makes really good stuff, with really good customer service. They build custom radio mics and headsets for my application/

Otto makes really good stuff, with really good customer service. They build custom radio mics and headsets for my application/
Interesting to know. So far I've never had a problem or a hiccup. I'll go shoot and have them in my ears for 3 hours straight no problem. I can wear beanies with eyes in the winter and not worry about breaking a seal on over the ear muffs.

Skip the Axil GS Extremes. Even though I was able to use the different sized ear foams to get a good fit they didn't didn't knock down the sound at all. I tried the blutooth for music and the sound quality wasn't great. I didn't buy them to play music. I wanted something similar to my noise canceling headphones but less bulky. After shooting a few 9mm rounds and fussing with them a bit I came to the conclusion that they do not work as advertised or at all. Save yourself some earache and don't waste your time on them.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top