Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Ear/Eye protection

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by hatchj, Feb 23, 2012.

1. hatchj

hatchj Milwaukie, OR Member

I'm not 100% sure if this is the right section for this, but...
    I want to pick up my own eye/ear protection so I don't have to borrow my dad's stuff all the time.

Pretty much everywhere I've looked only has like..1 or 2 of each and half of them are usually pink. ha.

Anyways. Does anyone know of a good place to look with a good selection of quality eye/ear protection? Preferably somewhere between pdx and milwaukie?

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Any power equipment store.

My stuff is not stylish but is all stuff that is Sthil branded because my brother use to work for them and I got great deals.

3. RifleEnthusiast

RifleEnthusiast Close to Oregon City Active Member

Walmart has some in the outdoors sports section, not a huge selection though, same for ACE hardware.

4. OR4X4

OR4X4 Hour south of portland Member

harbor freight in milwaukee, hard to beat $1.99 earmuffs.

5. glockman99

glockman99 Hoquiam, WA. Active Member

Big5 Sporting Goods stores have a pretty good selection of shooting glasses & hearing protection. I bought a pretty good "Mossy Oak" set (amber shooting glasses, & ear muffs) for $19 as a "spare set".

6. hatchj

hatchj Milwaukie, OR Member

Thanks for the replies so far. Anyone have input about the electronic muffs? (as in are they worth the extra money) I planned on checking out big 5 in the next day or so.

7. OR4X4

OR4X4 Hour south of portland Member

I have the electric (I believe caldwell) earmuffs and I like them alot. They are a "thinner" muff to begin with so even when the report of the firearm turns off the speakers they let more sound through than the cheap harbor freight muffs. However my hearing is bad enough that I like being able to hear people talk without pulling one ear out all the time.

8. pietro beretta

pietro beretta Spokane, WA Active Member 2016 Volunteer

I like my electronic muffs, but they were a tad expensive at 100 compared to their non electronic brethren

9. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

No opinion on electronic, but form-factor-wise I like my Howard Leight headset. Thinner profile, which helps when I'm shooting long guns. I normally throw either a cheap pair of foam plugs in as well or on the rare occasion I can remember where I put them, I'll wear my custom in-ear plugs too.

Most of the time I can still hear conversation with both in, but if not odds are I probably don't care what they're saying anyway.

10. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Caldwell makes the E-MAX line of electronic hearing protection. Their low-profile. 23db model happens to be on sale at Midway right now for $21.99, and has better customer ratings than many other brands costing way more. A friend of mine has this exact set, and I tried them at the range the other day, and they really work!

E-MAX Low Profile Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 23dB) Green

11. thewhitebuffalo83

thewhitebuffalo83 Gresham/Boring Well-Known Member

Howard Leight Impact Sports are awesome electronic earmuffs. I just picked up a pair a couple months ago and they are well worth the money and highly recomended. Big-5 has them on sale every month or two for $50 and if they are out you can get a rain check. Here is a review from Nutnfancy on Youtube.
    Howard Leight "Impact Sport" Earmuff review by Nutnfancy - YouTube

12. farpolemiddle

farpolemiddle Portland Member

You get what you pay for with eye pro. I feel its better to pony up and find a set of Oakley M frame 2.0s on evilbay. I also have a set of Howard leights but depending on what kind of shooting you do they can effect cheek weld(more prone than standing)