JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today's easy action of the day from the Washington Civil Rights Association:

LEAVE A COMMENT ON HB1164 & SB5078 – MAGAZINE BANS

TWO EASY STEPS!

STEP 1: Visit this link to leave a comment on HB1164: https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill/1164
This is the HOUSE Bill to ban magazines. Enter your address, click Verify District, select ALL your legislators with REP in front of their name (House), enter your contact information, click OPPOSE, and paste your comments (talking points below). Then click SEND COMMENT.

STEP 2: Visit this link to leave a comment on SB5078: https://app.leg.wa.gov/pbc/bill/5078
This is the companion SENATE bill to ban magazines. Repeat the same process as above, but select your legislators with SEN in front of their name (Senate).

TALKING POINTS
Please oppose HB 1164 (or SB 5078) relating to high capacity magazines. Magazine restrictions present a safety issue for the citizens of the State of Washington and are unconstitutional (District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570)

• There is no data to support magazine capacity restrictions having any impact on public safety.
  • These bills would be in direct conflict of law on day one with the US 9th District Court ruling (Duncan vs Becerra, CA 2018), which determined magazine restrictions an unconstitutional restriction.
  • Magazine restrictions disproportionately affect low-income, racial, and ethnic minorities, the elderly, and people with disabilities who rely on the current standard capacity of magazines when defending themselves from multiple assailants.
  • Criminals by definition do not comply with the law and will always find a way to gain access to high capacity magazines. This bill puts more firepower into the streets while restricting law-abiding citizens' ability to defend themselves and their loved-ones with equal protection.
  • This bill puts unnecessary financial burden on our citizens living in low-economic neighborhoods, as they would have to purchase new magazines to conform to the proposed bill. This effectively renders those affected less safe.

Feel free to add your own points as well.
---
Your voice absolutely matters. We only win if you take action!

Visit https://wacivilrights.org for current information.
Join the discussion on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/walegislativeactiongroup/
PS: Find your Legislative District: https://app.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/

xOVtboQ.jpg

A very well put together set of arguments against magazine bans, thanks for sharing that! ( Bookmarked, for when this comes to MY state.)

I watched it & I thank you for posting the link.
My short analysis is this..
A. The bill supporters want this mostly due to emotions and are operating under the premise that reducing mag capacity would somehow stop/prevent/reduce mass shootings.
B. The bill opposition mostly addressed the illegality of going against the 2A, the ability to defend ones self. the fallacy of tracking the magazines, the hundreds of thousands of new gun owners and the ability to reload when being attacked.

Like I said..just a short view from what I seen. The proponents did mention the AG's desire to push this through..Wasn't that a surprise..NOT! The meeting was cut to 1 minute to speak vs two but Dan (Sporting Systems) got in on the two minute schedule so kudos to him.
Not one question from any of the legislators.
One piece of advice I'd offer should anyone desire to speak before those legislators, GET YOUR SH*T TOGETHER so you don't look like an uneducated moron! There were a couple of pro supporters that were shall we say...:confused:

I believe I heard there were 1500 comments sent but I can't verify that. Only one (I think I'm right) of the supporters placed any type of blame on the shooters, everything was blamed on those high cap mags.
Lastly, the prime sponsor (Marko Liias) was almost clear that we already have a way to track those mags using our existing laws that are in place. HUH? He did say the experts could/would explain that aspect.. I hope so because it makes me curious.
Let the war begin..:rolleyes:

Dan

I watched it & I thank you for posting the link.
My short analysis is this..
A. The bill supporters want this mostly due to emotions and are operating under the premise that reducing mag capacity would somehow stop/prevent/reduce mass shootings.
B. The bill opposition mostly addressed the illegality of going against the 2A, the ability to defend ones self. the fallacy of tracking the magazines, the hundreds of thousands of new gun owners and the ability to reload when being attacked.

Like I said..just a short view from what I seen. The proponents did mention the AG's desire to push this through..Wasn't that a surprise..NOT! The meeting was cut to 1 minute to speak vs two but Dan (Sporting Systems) got in on the two minute schedule so kudos to him.
Not one question from any of the legislators.
One piece of advice I'd offer should anyone desire to speak before those legislators, GET YOUR SH*T TOGETHER so you don't look like an uneducated moron! There were a couple of pro supporters that were shall we say...:confused:

I believe I heard there were 1500 comments sent but I can't verify that. Only one (I think I'm right) of the supporters placed any type of blame on the shooters, everything was blamed on those high cap mags.
Lastly, the prime sponsor (Marko Liias) was almost clear that we already have a way to track those mags using our existing laws that are in place. HUH? He did say the experts could/would explain that aspect.. I hope so because it makes me curious.
Let the war begin..:rolleyes:

Dan

I watched it all the way through. I would agree with your (short) analysis Dan :) and DEFINITELY a couple of those pro supporters didn't "help". I get that every one communicates at varying levels, and some articulate their thoughts/facts better than others, but please don't have your AR/SBR's in the background... IMO it really doesn't help.

I too am curious what he meant by (already have) the ability to track magazines, background checks, etc etc. More details would be enlightening, and I'm sure open up yet another can of worms :confused:

It's interesting that so many of those people (IMO) in favor of this bill "truly" believe that by having a max capacity of 10 rounds, means that all "bad guys" will only be using 10 round magazines, need to reload after said 10 rounds have been used, and prevent more deaths.

I hope that the opposing side gains more support and can ensure that the bill does not pass. The loss of life/loved ones/friends is tragic, and my thoughts and prayers are with those people whom were affected in that way, but this wouldn't be a step in the right direction.

James

Please remind them as I will as well to Oregon legislators, that their actions to defund police and ignore valid threats against innocent cilvians, until there is more evidence of unity now is not the time to chase firearm issues.

The majority of gun purchases in 2020 were 1st time buyers. Democrats. White college graduated women, black people. LGBT. People who just invested in firearms with standard capacity magazines.

Last Edited:
Curious that no one has demanded the legislatures answer why they made a decision to allow BLM and ANTIFA to openly flout laws that were witnessed by the whole world, while simultaneously passing new laws. I think people here should throw that in the faces of their legislators. This is what I sent them today.
---------------

Before you propose NEW gun laws, you owe the public an explataion as why you made a deliberate decision to NOT ENFORCE existing gun laws that were openly broken last year in Seattle. The whole world watched you give free reign to BLM and ANTIFA members to break laws. So, stop using law breaking as an excuse to pass more laws that are going to be selectively enforced against PEACEFUL citizens.
--
"Raz Simone, the so-called warlord of the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone carved out of Seattle by activists, has been filmed handing out assault rifles to minors. That's a state felony, if only there were anyone to enforce the law."

Hand me a weapon & it's not going to get returned... :eek:

44Brent... No 'proof' the person is a minor, no matter what's printed/stated but I do agree with your premise/view on the law.
As for the transfer itself, RCW 9.41.113 for 1 charge

Dan

Just heard back from Sen. Wilson. She mentioned HB1234. WOW!!!

She also passed along a list of others to contact!

Dear _______,

I will absolutely vote against any and all bills that infringe on our second amendment rights. Unfortunately, the Democrats are feeling quite emboldened this year on many fronts. For years, they have whittled away at our gun rights and I fear they will finally have the votes to actually get these bills through this year.

You might not be aware, but I am a certified firearms instructor and have been for several years. I fought on several gun rights issues in Clark County even before I was an elect official. Rest assured I will continue to be a solid advocate for our gun rights. Thank you for being involved and trying to make a difference. I hope you will also contact the sponsors of the 'assault weapons', high (standard) capacity magazines, and open carry on campus bills noted below. They need to feel the pressure.

Here are their email addresses for your convenience:

HB 1229/SB 5217 is sponsored by Representatives Peterson, Dolan, Pollet, Ryu, Berry, Valdez, Fey, Ramel, Ortiz-Self, Bateman, Hackney, Davis, Bergquist, Kloba, Wylie, Lekanoff, Macri, Stonier, Riccelli, and Senators Kuderer, Darneille, Dhingra, Hunt, Liias, Nguyen, Pedersen, Wilson, C. and Attorney General Bob Ferguson.

HB 1164/SB 5078 is sponsored by Representatives Valdez, Peterson, Ormsby, Davis, Hackney, Macri, Pollet, Gregerson, Ramel, Bateman, Simmons, Fitzgibbon, Harris-Talley and Senators Liias, Kuderer, Darneille, Hunt, Nguyen, Pedersen, Wilson, C. and Attorney General Bob Ferguson

HB 1234 is sponsored by Representatives Senn, Lovick, Dolan, Pollet, Kirby, Ryu, Berry, Fitzgibbon, Valdez, Frame, Fey, Ramel, Ortiz-Self, Bateman, Hackney, Ramos, Davis, Thai, Bergquist, Peterson, Santos, Kloba, Callan, Cody, Lekanoff, Macri, Slatter, Stonier, Tharinger, Ormsby, Riccelli

You can copy and paste these links right into your email address bar for easy contact. You'll have to contact AG Ferguson separately by clicking on his name above since he only provides an online contact form rather than a direct email address. Take care!

Yours in service,

Senator Lynda Wilson

17th Legislative District

Olympia Office - 205 Irv Newhouse Building

PO Box 40417 - Olympia, WA 98504

* [email protected] ( 360.786.7632)

So they changed the original bill 5078 from reading 10 round to reading 17 round as the max capacity. apparently they think Glocks are the only handguns out there and we should outlaw standard capacity magazines for non-clock handguns that hold 1 more round (CZ SP-01 for example holds 18 standard)

Off the top of my head though it seems they looked up 1 single pistol and went off its capacity to try to wiggle around the pistol capacity issue and push the bill through anyway... So far not looking good though. It got a majority vote pass in the senate.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top