JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
URGENT: MAGAZINE BAN WILL HIT THE SENATE FLOOR FOR A VOTE THIS WEEK

Contact your legislators TODAY demanding they VOTE NO on SSB 5078

SPEAK UP NOW TO PROTECT YOUR RIGHTS!

We MUST stop this now or wait 10 years for court challenge!

Share with ALL to push back HARD and LOUD!

URGENT:
SSB 5078 Banning magazines > 12 rounds will most likely be voted on THIS WEEK by the Senate.

Contact your Senators TODAY and demand they VOTE NO on SSB 5078!

This is one of the anti-gunner's signature bills. They claim that it will save lives (without evidence), reduce gun violence (without a shred of evidence), and that the majority of WA supports this bill.
**LET'S PROVE THEM WRONG. **

Contact your Senators RIGHT NOW and tell them just how wrong they are.

Note: the legislature has made it harder to contact them. They don't want your email and have hidden them; they're trying to force you to fill out forms instead. AND there is an error in their online forms that is assigning people to the wrong districts. We're going around them and DIRECTLY to the legislators.

STEP 1: Visit this link to find your representative: https://wacivilrights.org/legislators/
Enter your address, click Verify District. Jot down your legislator's first/last name with Sen. in front of their name (Senator). There is only one. Close that window and go back to the Legislators page above.

STEP 2: Click Senate Members, and scroll down or search for your legislator (the list is sorted by legislator first name).
Click on their name copy their email address. Paste it into your mail program (save it—we'll be using it a LOT).

STEP 3: Copy and personalize your email. For Republicans, thank them for opposing (as they all will)

Subject: Use your own subject because they WILL just delete all email with the same subject!

Senator LAST NAME, I am in in your district and I live at ADDRESS (Important! They cannot delete if you live in their district!).

TALKING POINTS (select a couple from this list or add your own)
Please oppose SSB 5078 that will prohibit firearm magazines in common use.

1. Magazine prohibitions are almost exclusively enforced against the marginalized poor. Creating a new crime for nonviolent possession of a magazine will inequitably worsen our twin issues of over-criminalization and over-incarceration

2. This law is ripe for abuse and will disproportionately be applied to BIPOC. Supporting these laws is supporting racism. In Illinois, 97% of people charged with concealed carry without a license were Black

3. Magazine restrictions disproportionately affect low-income, racial, and ethnic minorities, the elderly, and people with disabilities who rely on the current standard capacity of magazines when defending themselves from multiple assailants

4. There is no impact on violent crime. Last year, the Rand corporation reviewed scientific research on gun violence published between 1995 and 2018. They found no studies that showed in any reasonable way that public policy implementing magazine bans or semi-auto rifle bans had any impact on violent crime

5. Magazine capacity limits failed to prevent crime in Colorado—in fact, gun homicides are UP 23%

6. Passing a law that the Supreme Court has already indicated needs to be reviewed for constitutionality is an affront to our judicial system. New Jersey's Magazine capacity law is currently before the US Supreme Court, pending a decision on NYSRPA v. Bruen

7. (Feel free to add your own! More in resources links below)

Please do not eliminate Washingtonian's rights to defend their lives in the more than 44,572 violent crimes they experienced in 2018. Please OPPOSE SB 5078.

**Resources: **

You can find a ton of talking points here: https://bit.ly/EAOD3-Points
A summary of our opposition to the magazine ban: https://bit.ly/EAOD3-Summary
You can find the actual bill here: https://bit.ly/EAOD3-5078. Pay close attention to the striker amendment that drops magazine capacity back down to 12!
Let's push back HARD and LOUD to show the legislators just how many of us there are who will VOTE THEM OUT in November!
---
Your voice absolutely matters. We only win if you take action!
Visit https://wacivilrights.org for the latest Easy Action of the Day, updated bills, and current information.
Join the discussion on our new Discord server @ https://discord.gg/7nZae42umd
Or on Facebook @ https://bit.ly/EAOD-FB

oWEJPn2.jpg

And . . . done. Email sent to my senator, Bob Hasegawa.

I know it feels like a lost cause, emailing your senator if he/she is a Democrat, but it doesn't take much -- if we can convince just a couple of them to vote no, we can beat this thing!

See also Firearms Law & Legal section above.

MODS please consider consolidating this thread with my original post in THIS section.

WA MAG LIMITS CLOSER TO PASSING.
The WA state House bill on magazine limits is now moving forward as SB 5078. Originally filed a year ago with a 10 round max limit, as it stands today it is defined as more than 17 rounds. If passed, it becomes effective within 90 days. If you own a mag with more than 17 rounds after the effective date, you are grandfathered in and can keep it, however you can only use it at home, place of business, or a range. It must be unloaded and locked up during transport.

Comment online here: https://app.leg.wa.gov/billsummary?BillNumber=5078&Year=2021&Initiative=false

My read is respectfully the restrictions on where they can be used are not open for much interpretation, and hoping LEO will look the other way depends on that specific LEO. While 17 rds won't affect a majority of handguns, the point is it's still unnecessary infringement only on the law abiding.

Between the recent changes in the legislature, and the (not my word) "reasonable" 17 round limit, this is more likely to pass than the last five consecutive years. Don't get defeated, make your voices heard by your local representative. Speak out!

Last Edited:
I got response from an intern that works for Senator Wellman. I have cut out all of the names information.

Good afternoon Anthony,

Thank you so much for reaching out to Senator Wellman about SB 5078. This bill was reintroduced at the beginning of this session and is currently awaiting action in the Senate Rules Committee. It can be tracked using the hyperlink included above.

While Senator Wellman appreciates your position on this issue, she is in favor of restricting the manufacture, sale, and possession of high capacity magazines. According to the Giffords Law Center, shootings in which high capacity magazines were used resulted in a 62% higher death toll than those without. Additionally, nine other US states have already restricted magazine capacity, and six of those states have a lower rate of gun violence than Washington.

As a representative of a district that has historically been in favor of gun regulation, the Senator believes that this bill is an important step towards ensuring the safety of our communities which aligns with the values of a majority of her constituents.

Thank you once again for engaging with this important issue. Senator Wellman appreciates hearing from her constituents as she is proud to represent the diverse voice of the 41st district. Feel free to call or email the office with further questions or concerns!

I provide the link here where she the senator got this information:

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-laws/policy-areas/hardware-ammunition/large-capacity-magazines/

I got response from an intern that works for Senator Wellman. I have cut out all of the names information.

Good afternoon Anthony,

Thank you so much for reaching out to Senator Wellman about SB 5078. This bill was reintroduced at the beginning of this session and is currently awaiting action in the Senate Rules Committee. It can be tracked using the hyperlink included above.

While Senator Wellman appreciates your position on this issue, she is in favor of restricting the manufacture, sale, and possession of high capacity magazines. According to the Giffords Law Center, shootings in which high capacity magazines were used resulted in a 62% higher death toll than those without. Additionally, nine other US states have already restricted magazine capacity, and six of those states have a lower rate of gun violence than Washington.

As a representative of a district that has historically been in favor of gun regulation, the Senator believes that this bill is an important step towards ensuring the safety of our communities which aligns with the values of a majority of her constituents.

Thank you once again for engaging with this important issue. Senator Wellman appreciates hearing from her constituents as she is proud to represent the diverse voice of the 41st district. Feel free to call or email the office with further questions or concerns!

I provide the link here where she the senator got this information:

https://giffords.org/lawcenter/gun-laws/policy-areas/hardware-ammunition/large-capacity-magazines/
Methinks Ms. Wellman should read something containing real facts, instead of Giffords' ginned-up, anti-gun propaganda...

1642890676521.png

More BULLSH!T from the tyrannical anti-2A libtards in Olympia! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
It's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack...

Just got a notice from NRA-ILA that SB 5078 is back! Today, the WA Senate amended the earlier version down to just 10 rounds now! :eek:
I just shot a letter off to Senator Sharon Brown, who is staunchly pro-2A. Even so, I sent the letter anyway. The more of us she hears from, the better!

Get on your keyboards and phones now, ladies and gentlemen! A battle may have been won a coupla weeks ago, but the War rages on! :s0042:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR