JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started out on a RCBS Reloader Special. Since I wasn't doing Magnum cases it was strong enough. Then when I started shooting USPSA and IDPA, I bought a Dillon 500B and can't say enough good about Dillon. With the cases you mentioned, you are eventually going to want a progressive, but starting with a single or turret is a great way to learn, and like me you keep the single or turret for hunting rifle loads.

I have both a balance beam scale and a Franklin Armory digital scale. Can't be too careful. I also use Dillon case gauges to check brass before and after reloading. I keep powder and primers stored in a heavy cabinet. And never have more than I need out on the bench. No smoking or drinking or distractions while reloading. I have a Uniflow Powder measure for pistol loads and a powder trickler (for accuracy loads). I'd like to have a better powder measure but they are expensive. Watch your primer pockets as you reuse the cases, eventually you will need to clean those primer pockets to get good primer seating. And examine all cases for split necks, bulges, etc. Some bulges can be taken out with resizing, some not, keep an eye on cases after resizing.

I have a hand primer. I like to resize and deprime. Then I take a bunch of brass into the LV room and install primers while in my easy chair. A hand primer gives you a good feel for seating.

Okay now u have all the press advice now when u buy dies buy the best u can afford. If not buy good resizing dies but but get the best seater dies u can if ur doing rifle. Pistol seaters are not to critical. Rifle seaters get Forester micrometer seating dies or redding. You will be glad u did even if ur making plinking rounds.

Okay now u have all the press advice now when u buy dies buy the best u can afford. If not buy good resizing dies but but get the best seater dies u can if ur doing rifle. Pistol seaters are not to critical. Rifle seaters get Forester micrometer seating dies or redding. You will be glad u did even if ur making plinking rounds.
+1 on the Forster micrometer bullet seating die. I'll never go back to a standard one!

The first thing I would buy and never part with would be the best single stage press you can find. When you want to try just a few of something you don't need to disturb the setup on a more sophisticated press. Plus models with compound leverage can size large rifle cases with minimal effort. Always handy for pulling bullets too. My favorite is still an RCBS A2 that is probably from the 1960's. Well made by people in America. (Loading since 1962)

The first thing I would buy and never part with would be the best single stage press you can find. When you want to try just a few of something you don't need to disturb the setup on a more sophisticated press. Plus models with compound leverage can size large rifle cases with minimal effort. Always handy for pulling bullets too. My favorite is still an RCBS A2 that is probably from the 1960's. Well made by people in America. (Loading since 1962)

I heard ya the first time! :):D

Please don't buy anything to start with but powder, primers and a bullet that works with your twist rate. It's a Ford, Chevy, Dodge question as to what else to buy. Your friend has everything you need to learn and watch him load safely. Experience is the only thing you need otherwise. Don't waste money on cheap stuff, Rcbs, Redding, Forester, all make quality dies, presses, dispensers. I learned in 1967 on a RCBS single stage press from a high school friend. Don't start out with a multi stage yet.
My 2 cents

Please don't buy anything to start with but powder, primers and a bullet that works with your twist rate. It's a Ford, Chevy, Dodge question as to what else to buy. Your friend has everything you need to learn and watch him load safely. Experience is the only thing you need otherwise. Don't waste money on cheap stuff, Rcbs, Redding, Forester, all make quality dies, presses, dispensers. I learned in 1967 on a RCBS single stage press from a high school friend. Don't start out with a multi stage yet.
My 2 cents

Thank you for the knowledge! The amount of outreach on this thread is almost overwhelming haha! It's hard to keep up with all of it. I appreciate ALL of your guys info!!

I started out on a RCBS Reloader Special. Since I wasn't doing Magnum cases it was strong enough. Then when I started shooting USPSA and IDPA, I bought a Dillon 500B and can't say enough good about Dillon. With the cases you mentioned, you are eventually going to want a progressive, but starting with a single or turret is a great way to learn, and like me you keep the single or turret for hunting rifle loads.

I have both a balance beam scale and a Franklin Armory digital scale. Can't be too careful. I also use Dillon case gauges to check brass before and after reloading. I keep powder and primers stored in a heavy cabinet. And never have more than I need out on the bench. No smoking or drinking or distractions while reloading. I have a Uniflow Powder measure for pistol loads and a powder trickler (for accuracy loads). I'd like to have a better powder measure but they are expensive. Watch your primer pockets as you reuse the cases, eventually you will need to clean those primer pockets to get good primer seating. And examine all cases for split necks, bulges, etc. Some bulges can be taken out with resizing, some not, keep an eye on cases after resizing.

I have a hand primer. I like to resize and deprime. Then I take a bunch of brass into the LV room and install primers while in my easy chair. A hand primer gives you a good feel for seating.

I definitely am going to start with the basics. Get a good hands on feel on how to do it the barebones way, then progressively step up my equipment the more I learn.

I was thinking about selling an RCBS single stage press kit with everything needed to reload and include a slightly discounted buyback opportunity for the press kit, tools and dies. This might work for those who want to try out reloading and be able to sell back the kit if they decide it's not for them. Does this sound like a good or bad idea?

I may be the minority here, but my vote is the Dillon XL750. It's my first press, and just started 11 months ago. I've only loaded pistol so far...9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP and 10mm. I completely learned everything on my own from the internet and I'm not very mechanically inclined at all. So if I can do it, you can too, trust me. They have good videos on YouTube for setup.
Plus you get Dillon's amazing warranty. Even if you break anything on accident, they'll replace it.
Oh, and it's paid for itself already just from loading 9mm by itself at $115 per 1,000 rounds, let alone my other calibers mentioned above.

Don't really understand the unnecessary "laughing" emoji, I didn't say anything funny.

Probably because We're immature.

Its pretty easy to take "what does your friend have for equipment" taken out of context....and when you replied "Hornaday" we thought you we also having a bit of a laugh.

I may be the minority here, but my vote is the Dillon XL750. It's my first press, and just started 11 months ago. I've only loaded pistol so far...9mm, 40 S&W, 45ACP and 10mm. I completely learned everything on my own from the internet and I'm not very mechanically inclined at all. So if I can do it, you can too, trust me. They have good videos on YouTube for setup.
Plus you get Dillon's amazing warranty. Even if you break anything on accident, they'll replace it.
Oh, and it's paid for itself already just from loading 9mm by itself at $115 per 1,000 rounds, let alone my other calibers mentioned above.

Good to know!

Probably because We're immature.

Its pretty easy to take "what does your friend have for equipment" taken out of context....and when you replied "Hornaday" we thought you we also having a bit of a laugh.

I'm not "hip with the lingo" when it comes to all the specifics of reloading. I will learn as time goes on. I'll find out more out my friend (mike)'s set up once I go to his shop and see it. (More so a work friend) reason for not knowing much about it.

I will second sl93z on the Dillon opinion... warranty, reliability, no bs. I have reloaded thousand of rounds pistol .380acp to S&W .500magnum and rifle .223 to .308 on 550b with nothing but great results(when I have done my part) for twenty years. If something breaks including plastic call Dillon, first thing they ask you for is your address...

Not to throw a wet blanket on the new to reloading, but your first attempted purchase should be at buying primers for the load you intend to make.
I say this because they will be fairly non-existent well into 2021 if you do some looking(especially spp). Those that stay ahead of the political wave typically don't have this problem but it still slows down the frequency of practice not knowing the longevity of depletion in supply chain.
In time hopefully this will change, sooner than later?
Just my two cents...

The Redding micrometer seating die is a joke according to Fortunecookie45..

I wonder if he had the correct seating stem for that profile of bullet?

Admittedly I've only used the micrometer seating stems for my rifle loads. Should have clarified that I guess. Forster is my favorite though I do have a Redding for the .224 Valkyrie, but only because the Forster wasn't yet available.

I'm not "hip with the lingo" when it comes to all the specifics of reloading. I will learn as time goes on. I'll find out more out my friend (mike)'s set up once I go to his shop and see it. (More so a work friend) reason for not knowing much about it.

I've been know to ask for joke explanations more than once, so let me help you out. The laugh was because "equipment" has multiple meanings, one of which refers to genitals. It isn't reloading lingo. ;-)

Be aware, having set the stage with equipment, there's also this:

... Get a good hands on feel ...

I have no experience with the micrometer style die however I can recommend the Forster Bench Rest dies.

The major advantage of them is they have a spring loaded bullet channel on the seating die that keeps the bullet, case & seating stem in perfect alignment during seating.

I only have one set, for .223, but plan to get just the seating die only for my other rifle calibers.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top