JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lee Classic Turret for a press, for reasons already stated. Lee dies are excellent for the price, but if money isn't a big issue (and to most who reload, it is), RCBS are better and Redding are top-notch. I have some of all three and have had no issues with either.

A good scale - balance or digital - is a MUST, and read up all you can before starting.

Treat primers as the explosives they are. They can make for a bad day if not respected. Also, store them cool and most of all, DRY. They aren't sealed and will degrade if exposed to moisture including humidity and condensation.

You can't go wrong with either the Lee Classic Turret or RCBS Rock Chucker - both will serve you for years to come. As stated before, a good scale is an aboslute must, as is a good powder trickler.

I started with the Rock Chucker then went to the Dillon. I gave the Rock Chucker to friend who was getting started and wish I still had it. Even with a good progressive, a single stage press has a lot of uses - specially if you are making your own 300 blackout cases.

Most of what you need has been covered by previous posts - the one thing I'd add is a good chronograph. It's invaluable when you are building up rounds, checking consistency, changing powders, etc - imho.

"I started with the Rock Chucker then went to the Dillon. I gave the Rock Chucker to friend who was getting started and wish I still had it. Even with a good progressive, a single stage press has a lot of uses - specially if you are making your own 300 blackout cases."

I started with a Dillon 550 and never looked back.

The first thing I would buy and never part with would be the best single stage press you can find. When you want to try just a few of something you don't need to disturb the setup on a more sophisticated press. Plus models with compound leverage can size large rifle cases with minimal effort. Always handy for pulling bullets too. My favorite is still an RCBS A2 that is probably from the 1960's. Well made by people in America. (Loading since 1962)

The first thing I would buy and never part with would be the best single stage press you can find. When you want to try just a few of something you don't need to disturb the setup on a more sophisticated press. Plus models with compound leverage can size large rifle cases with minimal effort. Always handy for pulling bullets too. My favorite is still an RCBS A2 that is probably from the 1960's. Well made by people in America. (Loading since 1962)

Wow thank you EVERYONE for all the feedback. I have a surplus of info now.. I will keep the updates coming as the education process starts! This forum is awesome!

I got bit by the reloading bug at 12yo with my neighbor. A older fella I refer to as my third grandfather. I still use his press and have his old scales. They work just fine 28y later. Just used them both for some 7-08 for bear season for my wife's gun.
If you get into it a bit further and have multiple presses. I would highly recommend the inlinefabrication.com mount system. I built my bench and it allows a press swap easier then changing socks.
Most every part of shooting is expensive. But reloading supplies you can get usually cheaper and in higher quantity then bulk bullets. Primers now are insane. Glad I stocked up a couple months b4 the kungfu-flu hit.
Get what fits your needs. Not what you think you want. There usually is a difference. Yup buy once cry once. I'm with that.

image.jpg

Looks like these guys have you started on the right track.

I started on an RCBS JR and it is still with me today. I think that thing is probably about as old as I am. I have turrets and progressive presses, but I still spend more time at the single stage press loading precision rifle ammo. Currently my main single stage is the Rock Chucker Supreme. I would recommend this one as it will provide you with the capability to load precision ammunition, and you'll likely never wear it out. You'll always have a need for a single stage press even if and when you step up to a progressive.

Don't be afraid to spend a little money now to get a good product. Amortized over several years the increased cost will be negligible.

Buy quality measuring tools and a scale for the same reason.

Lots of knowledge here on the forums with people eager to help.

EDIT: nevermind -- they're in Canada. Primers still available there.

@RyanG90 Your main bottleneck right now is small pistol primers. I found some online at a store I've never used so not vouching for them. The price is NOT a good price - it's the available at the end of the world price. You should buy them anyway. A couple thousand at least because you're going to have to pay a hazmat fee for shipping on top of the regular shipping costs and primer costs. But don't buy more than 10,000 primers -- in WA storing more than 10k at home is a crime (a felony I think too).

$5.95/100 for Winchester SPP: Winchester ** Small Regular Pistol Primers Item # WSP 100 PK

$4.25/100 for Remington 5.5 SPP (these are sorta magnums -- but only in cup thickness rather than power if a random person on the internet is correct): Remington ** PRIMERS 5-1/2 Small Pistol Item #X22626 100/Box

They have one single hundred primer CCI 500 pack left -- don't bother -- you'd use half of it in load development and good luck finding more for when you want to make shooting ammo.

If you want some small rifle primers for 5.56, they have these at about 1.50 over normal price -- only 11 left, buy them all: Federal * SMALL RIFLE PRIMER - "AR RIFLE", Item #GM205MAR, 100/Box

Last Edited:
Looks like these guys have you started on the right track.

I started on an RCBS JR and it is still with me today. I think that thing is probably about as old as I am. I have turrets and progressive presses, but I still spend more time at the single stage press loading precision rifle ammo. Currently my main single stage is the Rock Chucker Supreme. I would recommend this one as it will provide you with the capability to load precision ammunition, and you'll likely never wear it out. You'll always have a need for a single stage press even if and when you step up to a progressive.

Don't be afraid to spend a little money now to get a good product. Amortized over several years the increased cost will be negligible.

Buy quality measuring tools and a scale for the same reason.

Lots of knowledge here on the forums with people eager to help.
Thank you for reaching out! All the help is very much appreciated. I have more than enough info to get on the right track. I will be posting updates as I move along. You guys are awesome!

@RyanG90 Your main bottleneck right now is small pistol primers. I found some online at a store I've never used so not vouching for them. The price is NOT a good price - it's the available at the end of the world price. You should buy them anyway. A couple thousand at least because you're going to have to pay a hazmat fee for shipping on top of the regular shipping costs and primer costs. But don't buy more than 10,000 primers -- in WA storing more than 10k at home is a crime (a felony I think too).

$5.95/100 for Winchester SPP: Winchester ** Small Regular Pistol Primers Item # WSP 100 PK

$4.25/100 for Remington 5.5 SPP (these are sorta magnums -- but only in cup thickness rather than power if a random person on the internet is correct): Remington ** PRIMERS 5-1/2 Small Pistol Item #X22626 100/Box

They have 1 hundred primer CCI 500 pack left -- don't bother -- you'd use half of it in load development and good luck finding more for when you want to make shooting ammo.

If you want some small rifle primers for 5.56, they have these at about 1.50 over normal price -- only 11 left, buy them all: Federal * SMALL RIFLE PRIMER - "AR RIFLE", Item #GM205MAR, 100/Box
I'm going to look into this thank you for all the links!

Personally I hope the PRIMER scalping comes to an end soon.

My theory is there are far fewer reloaders buying primers than ammo buyers and I am thinking this will run its course much faster than ammo.

Not needing primers myself but Just a thought.....

Wow -- this is ridiculous. $10 for 100 primer tray, limit 2 trays, plus $30 hazmat fee, plus shipping.

Personally I hope the PRIMER scalping comes to an end soon.

My theory is there are far fewer reloaders buying primers than ammo buyers and I am thinking this will run its course much faster than ammo.

Not needing primers myself but Just a thought.....

Yeah -- I'm close to my WA maximum but having a couple thousand on order is a good motivator to do an extended reloading session. No way I'm paying $25 for a tray of 100 (after hazmat). I'll figure out the DIY primer thing before I ever do that.

I've been reloading for nearly 45 years, and had all sorts of different presses. I started out with an RCBS starter kit, which had an RCBS Jr. press. A very good setup, but I quickly sold the small press and went to an RCBS Rockchucker press for the better leverage the bigger press gave me. It just makes sizing brass much easier on your hand and arm.
I've had various progressive, and automatic presses, and still have a Lyman Turret press I bought used at a gun show decades ago. It sits bolted to my bench, and mostly neglected, as I just don't use it at all. I have sold all the other various presses I've owned, and still use the RCBS Rockchucker for all my loading needs.
If I was starting out today, I'd begin by looking on Craigslist, or attending a gun show (if we ever have them again!) and look at buying all the equipment used. Good loading equipment never wears out, and you can save a lot of your initial cost buying used clean equipment.
I'd start with an RCBS Rockchucker press, a good powder scale, RCBS, Lyman 55, Hornady, etc., a Hodgdon loading manual, and what ever dies you need to begin loading for your needs. I like the Hodgdon manual because it covers such a wide variety of calibers, bullets, and loads. My Hornady covers very little cast bullet loads, so it's pretty worthless for anything but jacketed bullets. Likely because Hornady sells mostly jacketed bullets. I tossed my lube pads, and any other lube stuff years ago, and I only use Hornady spray lube. I put my brass on an old cookie sheet and spray them all. Then shake them to move them, and give them another quick spray. They size easily, and no sticky lube to clean off after sizing, or to build up inside my does. Fast and clean.

Other than that I'd get the help of friends who load, and try to get input from more over time. Lots of people doing loading for decades have tips that will be valuable to you as a newcomer.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top