JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do any of you go shooting out in this area? There is one good place up there that I know of, and I hear other shots in the area, so there must be at least one other place up there. I'm picking up a pair of new 9mm Beretta CX4 Storms tomorrow. If anyone wants to take them for a test drive with me this weekend, let me know:s0155:

No problem, they looked like a lot of fun to shoot.

As for Lolo pass, i used to go shooting there as a kid all the time, but i thought most of the ranges had been shut down. been years since i have been up there for anything other then hunting that i don't really know.

Where I go is about 7 miles up, on the left side as you head up the road. It is a rock pit that can be used for shooting out to around 100 yards. There are is an area for parking your vehicle, and large boulders clearing defining a firing line. I have had contact with both Clackamas County and Oregon State Police while there, and both agencies said it is a legal safe place to shoot. I have been using this spot since I moved back to Oregon in August 2002.

Where I go is about 7 miles up, on the left side as you head up the road. It is a rock pit that can be used for shooting out to around 100 yards. There are is an area for parking your vehicle, and large boulders clearing defining a firing line. I have had contact with both Clackamas County and Oregon State Police while there, and both agencies said it is a legal safe place to shoot. I have been using this spot since I moved back to Oregon in August 2002.

I've been to this place (I think).

I did not like it ONE BIT. For one, there isn't really a safe backdrop, and you're shooting TOWARD THE INCOMING ROAD!!! If you're there all alone, you can walk to the end, turn 90 degrees and shoot into the hillbank, but that's the only way to shoot there that I would feel to be safe (in my humble but often accurate opinion).

Furthermore, sadly, the place is (or was the one time I was there) TRASHED. The only beni I can see to this place is one would be able to shoot on the way to or from Mount Hood Meadows... skiing and guns are meant to go together, afterall.

Do any of you go shooting out in this area? There is one good place up there that I know of, and I hear other shots in the area, so there must be at least one other place up there. I'm picking up a pair of new 9mm Beretta CX4 Storms tomorrow. If anyone wants to take them for a test drive with me this weekend, let me know:s0155:

Were you there last week-end ? (17-18 July) Cause we were fishing trout on the lake (the lost kind...of lake) and we heard a lot of shooting going on ... When we returned home, the woods were crawling with cops and they stopped us and asked us if we saw somebody shooting there ...

Do you know of any "legal" shooting sites in the woods? 'Cause we don't !!!

As I am aware of, the only "legal" shooting sites are the gun ranges ... Just my 2c

They exist. There are definitions as to what is legal discharge of a firearm defined by state law or agency managing the land. Gun ranges are a legal area in populated areas. If you're out in the woods, you just need to make sure that you're not shooting across a road, toward buildings or places where people may be. Some places have a shooting ban.

ORS 166
166.220 Unlawful use of weapon. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful use of a weapon if the person:
(a) Attempts to use unlawfully against another, or carries or possesses with intent to use unlawfully against another, any dangerous or deadly weapon as defined in ORS 161.015; or
(b) Intentionally discharges a firearm, blowgun, bow and arrow, crossbow or explosive device within the city limits of any city or within residential areas within urban growth boundaries at or in the direction of any person, building, structure or vehicle within the range of the weapon without having legal authority for such discharge.
(2) This section does not apply to:
(a) Police officers or military personnel in the lawful performance of their official duties;
(b) Persons lawfully defending life or property as provided in ORS 161.219;
(c) Persons discharging firearms, blowguns, bows and arrows, crossbows or explosive devices upon public or private shooting ranges, shooting galleries or other areas designated and built for the purpose of target shooting;
(d) Persons lawfully engaged in hunting in compliance with rules and regulations adopted by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife; or
(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, discharging a firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.
(3) Unlawful use of a weapon is a Class C felony. [Amended by 1975 c.700 §1; 1985 c.543 §1; 1991 c.797 §1; 2009 c.556 §5]

DISCHARGING WEAPONS

166.630 Discharging weapon on or across highway, ocean shore recreation area or public utility facility. (1) Except as provided in ORS 166.220, any person is guilty of a violation who discharges or attempts to discharge any blowgun, bow and arrow, crossbow, air rifle or firearm:
(a) Upon or across any highway, railroad right of way or other public road in this state, or upon or across the ocean shore within the state recreation area as defined in ORS 390.605.
(b) At any public or railroad sign or signal or an electric power, communication, petroleum or natural gas transmission or distribution facility of a public utility, telecommunications utility or railroad within range of the weapon.
(2) Any blowgun, bow and arrow, crossbow, air rifle or firearm in the possession of the person that was used in committing a violation of this section may be confiscated and forfeited to the State of Oregon. This section does not prevent:
(a) The discharge of firearms by peace officers in the performance of their duty or by military personnel within the confines of a military reservation.
(b) The discharge of firearms by an employee of the United States Department of Agriculture acting within the scope of employment in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife.
(3) The hunting license revocation provided in ORS 497.415 is in addition to and not in lieu of the penalty and forfeiture provided in subsections (1) and (2) of this section.
(4) As used in this section:
(a) “Public sign” includes all signs, signals and markings placed or erected by authority of a public body.
(b) “Public utility” has the meaning given that term in ORS 164.365 (2).
(c) “Railroad” has the meaning given that term in ORS 824.020. [Amended by 1963 c.94 §1; 1969 c.501 §2; 1969 c.511 §4; 1973 c.196 §1; 1973 c.723 §118; 1981 c.900 §1; 1987 c.447 §113; 1991 c.797 §2; 2009 c.556 §7]

166.635 Discharging weapon or throwing objects at trains. (1) A person shall not knowingly throw an object at, drop an object on, or discharge a bow and arrow, air rifle, rifle, gun, revolver or other firearm at a railroad train, a person on a railroad train or a commodity being transported on a railroad train. This subsection does not prevent a peace officer or a railroad employee from performing the duty of a peace officer or railroad employee.
(2) Violation of subsection (1) of this section is a misdemeanor. [1973 c.139 §4]

166.638 Discharging weapon across airport operational surfaces. (1) Any person who knowingly or recklessly discharges any bow and arrow, gun, air gun or other firearm upon or across any airport operational surface commits a Class A misdemeanor. Any bow and arrow, gun, air gun or other firearm in the possession of the person that was used in committing a violation of this subsection may be confiscated and forfeited to the State of Oregon, and the clear proceeds shall be deposited with the State Treasury in the Common School Fund.
(2) As used in subsection (1) of this section, “airport operational surface” means any surface of land or water developed, posted or marked so as to give an observer reasonable notice that the surface is developed for the purpose of storing, parking, taxiing or operating aircraft, or any surface of land or water when actually being used for such purpose.
(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not prohibit the discharge of firearms by peace officers in the performance of their duty or by military personnel within the confines of a military reservation, or otherwise lawful hunting, wildlife control or other discharging of firearms done with the consent of the proprietor, manager or custodian of the airport operational surface.
(4) The hunting license revocation provided in ORS 497.415 is in addition to and not in lieu of the penalty provided in subsection (1) of this section. [1981 c.901 §2; 1987 c.858 §2]

US Forest Service Regulations
§ 261.10 Occupancy and use.
The following are prohibited:
[snip]
(d) Discharging a firearm or any other implement capable of taking
human life, causing injury, or damaging property as follows:
(1) In or within 150 yards of a residence, building, campsite, developed
recreation site or occupied area, or
(2) Across or on a National Forest
System road or a body of water adjacent thereto, or in any manner or place
whereby any person or property is exposed to injury or damage as a result
in such discharge.
(3) Into or within any cave.

Were you there last week-end ? (17-18 July) Cause we were fishing trout on the lake (the lost kind...of lake) and we heard a lot of shooting going on ... When we returned home, the woods were crawling with cops and they stopped us and asked us if we saw somebody shooting there ...

I was there on July 24. Had a great time. This a legal place to shoot. Think what you want, but I found out about this place from Clackamas County officers while shooting at the PSTC.

I know the area that is being discussed and YES it is legal to shoot there. I know this because I stopped and asked the rangers at the ranger station. They actually recommended the location and gave me directions to that area.
Also Dr. Tatu, this is not the area that you are thinking of. This place has a great back stop and does not face the road.

Here is a pic from about 3 years ago............

View attachment 203022

Here are a couple of links that show the area. First is a overhead view where you can see the layout.

FYI. I made friends with a local fire fighter up there who advised me to watch out for bears there. He mentioned that several times he has been there that bears have actually been coming into the range while he was shooting. They seem to be looking for trash.

Google Maps

Since I live 15 minutes from the site,, I've tried to keep it''s location under the radar. Ah well, so be it. The biggest issue I've seen over the years is people not cleaning up after themselves. As you can see from the photo that Sawdust provided, there's a lot of brass laying on the ground and quite a bit of junk. Last year I hauled out 2 tv's and 3 parabolic reflectors for satellite systems. All of this is pretty common on a week-to-week basis. If your going to use the site, please pick up after yourself as most of you do anyways... I usually go up once a week and plan to be up there both Saturday and Sunday. For those that haven't been there, the earthen bank is a full 100 yards away in case you want to bring up your rifle also. Good shooting.

SOG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads