JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice! Did you have to do a state background check when you picked it up?
Yea filled out the forum and walked out the door right away. Not sure if it was processed as an instant or the FFL just let me go. Either way this was my first can I got happy to have it… but it's pretty insane the amount of steps and wait time you have to go through for some hearing protection.

Yea filled out the forum and walked out the door right away. Not sure if it was processed as an instant or the FFL just let me go. Either way this was my first can I got happy to have it… but it's pretty insane the amount of steps and wait time you have to go through for some hearing protection.
Filling out a 4473 to complete the transfer and having the FFL submit a BGC to the state are two separate things. Just because you filled out a 4473 does not automatically indicate that a BGC was also run.

-E-

The 4473 is just to document the transfer of the NFA item from the dealers possession to your own. No BGC is run because you passed one already from the FBI when applying for the NFA item on the NFA application, hence why the transfer is taking place. Form 4473 has section 28 which reads "No NICS check is required because a background check was completed during the NFA approval process on the individual who will receive the NFA firearm(s), as reflected on the approved NFA application."

The 4473 is just to document the transfer of the NFA item from the dealers possession to your own. No BGC is run because you passed one already from the FBI when applying for the NFA item on the NFA application, hence why the transfer is taking place. Form 4473 has section 28 which reads "No NICS check is required because a background check was completed during the NFA approval process on the individual who will receive the NFA firearm(s), as reflected on the approved NFA application."
Unless you're my FFL, "it says NICS, Oregon uses FICS".

Sigh.....

If they didn't charge you an extra $10, they did what they were supposed to. They should fill it out then say have a nice day. As @solv3nt said, our local ffl is not very knowledgeable or willing to utilize what the law actually allows.
Nice to hear that you got 8.5mo rather than 10+. Form 3 for my Hybrid 46M got approved, or at least updated, today on SS. Hope it'll get to the shop next week and get the form 4 filed so I can submit for the $200 SilencerCo credit and order a couple brakes or flash hiders (5.56 brake is out of stock so I might order a 9mm flash hider for the Evo 3 instead).

Filling out a 4473 to complete the transfer and having the FFL submit a BGC to the state are two separate things. Just because you filled out a 4473 does not automatically indicate that a BGC was also run.

-E-
Its all about a paper trail that the item was transferred to another entity. Maker(Form 3)>>FFL>>get ATF OK>>FFL>>You . Ther is NO BGC on the last pass to you, just a form

Its all about a paper trail that the item was transferred to another entity. Maker(Form 3)>>FFL>>get ATF OK>>FFL>>You . Ther is NO BGC on the last pass to you, just a form
Try telling my local FFL that. BGC required after BGC is cleared by FBI.
But, the wait just got longer for my Hybrid 46M. Eforms is down and unable to certify.

Try telling my local FFL that. BGC required after BGC is cleared by FBI.
But, the wait just got longer for my Hybrid 46M. Eforms is down and unable to certify.
So after waiting 8 months + you now have to wait another week, 2 or 3 weeks to have the OSP do a background check on you thru the FBI???

God, I am so thankful I moved.

Well . . . As I was in the neighborhood of my can dealer, I stopped in to say hi and see what was up.

He sez, "We are looking at around 10 months right now." Reason: Back last spring, when the ATF said "90 days", everyone and their mother jumped on the collective bandwagon and bought cans. So, like what happened with the passing of M-114, a whole lot of 'extra' stamp requests went in to clog up the system. This is on top of all the paper Form 4's they are trying to finish up too. As any normal person would expect (knowing the gov'ment as we do), the ATF did not bring in any extra processors to help out with the increased load. Thus, that "90 day" claim is now 10 ± months.

I 'certified' back in early May. I hoped to get it in September; then I hoped to get it by November; then by Christmas, then by New Years . . . Now we are looking at a birthday present in mid March, maybe. Now, to qualify things; I have a semi-common name and this is my first can. You can take that for what it's worth.

Have a nice day.

Last Edited:
No, no waiting on OSP after a can comes in. A stamp came in and I picked it up in December.
See, I agree that that is correct. Filling out the 4473 when you pick it up is just creating a paper trail that the can was transferred from the FFL to you. They check that it all matches your drivers license info and off you go. I kept reading people saying that they had to go through it all over again. I had never gone through another BGC at pickup.

Bossman submitted his eForm4 back on April 7th 2022, was accepted to ATF on April 20th of 2022.

Still waiting. We were concerned it had errors but was not rejected by SilencerShop and is just waiting.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top