Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Dying?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by M.Link, Jan 9, 2010.

1. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Not like dead dying but color dying. I have some body armor that is white and I want to dye it black. Anybody know how to do it or what to use? Any help is great. I'm talking about just the cover/carrier, not the ballistic panles.

2. kentsboots

kentsboots Oregon Member

Use createx paint, its for airbrushing clothing. You can heat set it with a hairdryer too. get it at michaels.

3. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Thanks. Do I have to use a airbrush? I don't have one...

4. kentsboots

kentsboots Oregon Member

Its a liquid paint, so you would have to spray it on somehow. Any spray gun will work tho. Its about $4 per bottle... could find someone who airbrushes in your area and have them do it, wouldn't take long.

5. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Soooo ummm what area are you in?

6. kentsboots

kentsboots Oregon Member

Im in troutdale

7. ZachS

ZachS Eugene/PDX Active Member

The paint or dye you use may affect the bullet resistance of the vest. I'd contact the manufacturer for advice.

8. Gunner69

Gunner69 Hillsboro Member

He's only dying the carrier not the panels... personally I'd use RIT dye...Should be available at you Alberstons or for sure the nearest Freddie's

9. M.Link

M.Link Guest

What is RIT dye? How do you apply it?

10. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

RIT dye is easy to use and commonly applied using a wash machine or stovetop. You can buy it in fabric stores and even in some grocery stores. I have even used the RIT liquid type of dye to stain maple tomahawk handles. If you will be dying your carrier black you may well wish to stain it blue first. RIT has a website that will give you good information.

11. therifleman

therifleman kennewick Member

Just use it in the snow. No dye needed!

12. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Hahaha If I was in the snow I would have more layers over it!

13. TAT2D

TAT2D Portland Member

That's what I was going to suggest. Like for doing tie-dye shirts.

Alternatively if you wanted to go with the first idea, I can't find 'em on the Harbor Freight site now, but I'm sure I've seen in the store 'refillable aerosol sprayers' -- look like hair-spray cans, with a screw-on lid and some means for pressurizing 'em -- likely a Schrader valve.

MrB

14. M.Link

M.Link Guest

Thanks for all the ideas. I just looked online and I can buy a brand new carrier for 20 bucks. I think I'm just going to go that route.