JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a DW Bruin, which is also a 6" 10mm. From my experience, any ammo that is less than 1250fps, will give you trouble. I shoot Sig 180gr ball ammo for practice and stick to the hotter hunting rounds. The watered-down ammo doesn't have enough energy to move that slide.

FWIW, my Sig P220 5" 10mm needs the full power loads to run properly, as well.

For the money it should flawlessly feed any factory ammo for this but dont expect them to warranty it for you if your using reloads or 3rd party mags. Dan Wesson mags are quality anyways, I think they are made by Checkmate if I recall.

I have had a RAZORBACK and currently have a VBOB & VALOR. All 3 have run flawlessly with the factory mags and Cobra 9 rnd mags. All 3 have had no problem with S&B, MagTech, Blazer (Brass), as well as the hot UNDERWOOD stuff.

I love my Dan's, but I am not a fan of their customer service. Its a shame that they can't treat their customers better.

As stated before i think you got a ammo issue, 10mm ammo is all over in its load ratings, some cheap 10mm chronos basicly the same as 40cal and your gun is likely sprung for hot or at least full power loads and limp ammo just wont fully cycle it especialy if you limp wrist it. I bought 10mm cause i wanted 10mm not a watered down version. I run only underwood ammo in the 10 and have never had 1 single issue. With ammo prices bieng stupid i can buy underwood 10mm for basicly the price of range 9mm right now, his prices havent gone up but availibility is not as wide but i check once a week or so and something in 10mm is almost always available.

Have you let somebody else shoot it ?
Whats the reason for having someone else shoot it? Ive heard this before but someone who buys a Dan Wesson and in 10mm doesnt seem like a person new to shooting and hes put over 500rds thru it.

I hate to use this Term Cause folks take offence, but it is called limp Wristing. It is often the cause of a problem in 1911s. It is just one item to check off a list, 2nd Use a Wilson mag. I bet Dan Wesson would not have sent it back if it was not working for them. Thats why i suspect limp wrist.

Whats the reason for having someone else shoot it? Ive heard this before but someone who buys a Dan Wesson and in 10mm doesnt seem like a person new to shooting and hes put over 500rds thru it.
If you have a marginal charge in your ammo to cycle the gun and you are a limp wrist shooter you essentially take up some of the inertia with your wrist and the gun can short cycle and fail to feed.

If you have a marginal charge in your ammo to cycle the gun and you are a limp wrist shooter you essentially take up some of the inertia with your wrist and the gun can short cycle and fail to feed.
I suppose if its possible an experienced shooter can also be a limp wristed shooter? Ive just never seen this the case with an experienced shooter though.

Can you get them on the phone and actually talk to them? Or at least email them and get a response?

You need to understand what ammo they used? 180gr tells you the bullet weight which is a good start but nothing about how the round was loaded. What brand (s) specifically do they use? Or is it their own special load? And is loaded "hot?" How much powder are they using and what velocity does it generate? Is their gun designed to run on most standard factory 10mm loads or one very specific load? And if so, what the hell is it and why isn't that communicated in the product literature? They've got to have some recommendations on ammo specs.

Also, when you sent the gun in, did you send it in with the mags that came with it and are they using those mags to test fire or are they using their own in-house mags?

My bet here is that you've got an ammo issue. More specifically, that this gun likes a fairly hot load to move that big slide around.

But after two trips back to the factory, you need more from them than just the service log. Why do THEY think the gun can't get through a full mag on your end but for them it seems to run fine?
I hate to use this Term Cause folks take offence, but it is called limp Wristing. It is often the cause of a problem in 1911s. It is just one item to check off a list, 2nd Use a Wilson mag. I bet Dan Wesson would not have sent it back if it was not working for them. Thats why i suspect limp wrist.
shhhh

Can you get them on the phone and actually talk to them? Or at least email them and get a response?

You need to understand what ammo they used? 180gr tells you the bullet weight which is a good start but nothing about how the round was loaded. What brand (s) specifically do they use? Or is it their own special load? And is loaded "hot?" How much powder are they using and what velocity does it generate? Is their gun designed to run on most standard factory 10mm loads or one very specific load? And if so, what the hell is it and why isn't that communicated in the product literature? They've got to have some recommendations on ammo specs.

Also, when you sent the gun in, did you send it in with the mags that came with it and are they using those mags to test fire or are they using their own in-house mags?

My bet here is that you've got an ammo issue. More specifically, that this gun likes a fairly hot load to move that big slide around.

But after two trips back to the factory, you need more from them than just the service log. Why do THEY think the gun can't get through a full mag on your end but for them it seems to run fine?

I did not think of asking about the particulars, will do thanks. Yes, the factory mags were sent.

UPDATE: I picked up 200 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 180 ammo. Shot all of it with only 5 failures at returning to battery. Only 1 out of the 5 jams happened with the factory magazines, the other using Cobra ones. Using the factory mag it happened on the last bullet to be fired. For the Cobra mags one jammed on the first bullet to be fired, it did appear to show markings on the bullet after inspection. The others happened on the last and second to last in mag to be fired without any signs of knicks or scratches. The factory OAL was 1.25. Yes, it appears to be my reloads, I suppose, but still there was 5 mishaps. Granted it has only successfully now had 250 rounds repeatedly shot with factory, other 100 or so with reloads. All that being said my reloads measure 1.265, but the thing that erks me is that depending on bullet/grain weight the Western Powders data OAL ranges from 1.245 to 1.26.

FB8F5158-8BAC-46D4-9771-9B53C7C76C7C.jpeg

UPDATE: I picked up 200 rounds of Sellier & Bellot 180 ammo. Shot all of it with only 5 failures at returning to battery. Only 1 out of the 5 jams happened with the factory magazines, the other using Cobra ones. Using the factory mag it happened on the last bullet to be fired. For the Cobra mags one jammed on the first bullet to be fired, it did appear to show markings on the bullet after inspection. The others happened on the last and second to last in mag to be fired without any signs of knicks or scratches. The factory OAL was 1.25. Yes, it appears to be my reloads, I suppose, but still there was 5 mishaps. Granted it has only successfully now had 250 rounds repeatedly shot with factory, other 100 or so with reloads. All that being said my reloads measure 1.265, but the thing that erks me is that depending on bullet/grain weight the Western Powders data OAL ranges from 1.245 to 1.26.

View attachment 795472
Comment on the last last or second to last rounds that malfunctioned - I've had six 10mm (four were 1911s, and two were Glock 40 Hunters), every once in a while after a long range session my 10mm 1911s would wear me out to the point of limp wrist'ing a last round or two. Tough for me to admit that but I have had "old shooter" arthritis in my dominant hand that forced me out of the 10mm game.

So, that said, I suggest you may want to be very aware of your shooting form with a solid elbow lock and grip on your Kodiak now that you've eliminated the reloads as issue. As you know, a 10mm 1911 has a significantly sharper (quicker) recoil impulse then the same government model in .45.

Your mileage may vary ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top