JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
am wondering if dutch bros. will end up firing this employee, for public relations reasons,(I M H O hopefully not . ) Robbery attempt ends with fatal shot
Police say a Dutch Bros. employee shot a robber; a second suspect fled
By Saul Hubbard

The Register-Guard

Published: Thursday, Nov 25, 2010 06:02AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Dutch Bros. Coffee drive-through employee turned the tables on a would-be robber Wednesday night, fatally shooting the male assailant who died in the doorway of the stand at 2115 Franklin Blvd., according to the Eugene Police Department.

One onlooker, who was passing by immediately after the 9 p.m. shooting, said the gunshot victim was struck in the chest.

Police were still searching for a second suspect, who is described by police as a white male, 20 to 30 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall, with blond hair, and last seen wearing jeans, brown hiking shoes with black bottoms and a zip-up puffy coat with a fold-down collar.

Police are withholding the names of the employee and deceased man until further investigation and next-of-kin notification. No other information was released Wednesday night.

The shooting was the second incident at the coffee stand in the past two months. On Sept. 19, a man was Tasered and arrested after he allegedly harassed a teenage girl and her brother, then attacked and sexually assaulted their mother. That suspect, Brandon Lee Jackson of Eugene, faces numerous charges, including first-degree sexual abuse.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best thing Dutch Bros. could do would be to put the employee on paid leave, pay for counseling if the employee needs it, and have them back on the schedule when possible. We need businesses to begin supporting self defense, rather than discouraging it like the pizza delivery guy who was fired in a similar situation.

"A Dutch Bros. Coffee drive-through employee turned the tables on a would-be robber Wednesday night, fatally shooting the male assailant who died in the doorway of the stand at 2115 Franklin Blvd., according to the Eugene Police Department."

For once I am impressed with the Register-Guard, "turned the tables"? Wow, they really could have spinned this so many other ways, not good ones at that.

Respect to the employee.... He should get a promotion and not grief.... I am amazed at the Red Guard for getting in right...

Was just about to post this. I feel bad for him /her having to kill someone, but ultimately happy that she/ he was able to defend him /herself.

I hope that DB does the right thing, something along the lines of what Ski_dog suggested. I also hope they don't make some rule about employees not being allowed to carry.

Last Edited:
Its never a good thing to hear about someone getting shot or killed, but im glad for once a good guy/girl came out on top...but knowing the world we live in, i can see this person loosing their job for some stupid reason..

Pending outcome of employees results (staying on or being fired) that will have a major impact on my DB funds. I am hoping that I do not have to write a letter.....

+1 million to the employee for self defense.

I also hope they don't make some rule about employees not being allowed to carry.

too late. From the Oregonian report

Angie Galimanis, a spokeswoman for the company, said the company has a policy prohibiting employees from carrying firearms at work. But it was not immediately clear what weapon was used in the shooting. Galimanis said the robber was armed

Also you gotta love the spin on this:

Police are not releasing the identity of either the employee or the shooting victim

This dirt-bag is an assailant not a victim.

More people need to follow this employee's lead. More people stand up for themselves and make examples people will think twice about armed or unarmed robbery! Thumb up for the guy/gal that defended their life and property!

"How 'bout a double shot? On the house!"

Hey, good going, Mr. Clerk, and employed or not, I'm glad that you're still breathing today.
Too bad about the other guy - really - there is no good death - even in a 'good shoot.'

I will be following this issue very close. My stopping at any DB for coffee will depend on the outcome on if the worker keeps his job! Is it a crime to defend yourself? That is the question- that should not be!

. I agree on following this outcome, I don't drink dutch bros anyways but I'm hoping a lot of people will decide on their support of DB on if this employee keeps his/her job. Policy or not I think protecting yourself should be above all. I'm sorry it had to end that way but better that outcome than the other way around.

I took the time to show my support for the employee on- how he defended himself against the robbery attempt. In the previous thread there is a link to sending your comments to Dutch Bros. I voiced my opinion!!! I hope that everybody will do the same! Is defending yourself a crime? It should not be the case. Please let Dutch Bros. know...Thanks...HappyThanksGiving!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top