JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was in Safeway several years back when the chinese, "accidentally" nailed one of our comm. sats. Nothing could be purchased with a credit card there, or any gas stations in the area. I was told later that the link to the computer center in Colorado had been disrupted. Safeway was a zoo, unless you had cash in your pocket. :(
This happened in our little cully neighborhood here a couple of weeks ago. I think it was a little over three hours that comcast was down. The grocery stores couldn't run Oregon Trail cards, but the ATM was operational. We had no tv, internet or telephone for that time. Word was there was some fubar in a comcast building 10-20 blocks away where folks saw a lot of activity.

This is my wireless navigation devise from back in the day I can get around !
AAAMc4%2fT-7HwAE2xfs%2fs1600%2fM1950%2bFace%2bZoom.jpg

I was in Safeway several years back when the chinese, "accidentally" nailed one of our comm. sats. Nothing could be purchased with a credit card there, or any gas stations in the area. I was told later that the link to the computer center in Colorado had been disrupted. Safeway was a zoo, unless you had cash in your pocket. :(
Good reason to keep a few hundred in the wallet at all times.

This is my wireless navigation devise from back in the day I can get around !
View attachment 1082514
Brunton-style field compass and a quad map. I'm with ya on that. Partial to my Silva with inclinometer, personally, although I have an antique Brunton that the Grand Sobo used when he was employed by the USFS in Alaska and WA.

I have never retired my DeLorme's and Thomas atlases. I still use them. Not that I've been travelling all that much lately. But the art isn't lost. I have DeLorme's for WA, OR, CA (2 vol), NV and ID.

In one of my cars, I have a little Magellan GPS stuck to the inside of the windshield. But these days, I only use it for a speedometer. I have temporarily installed a 3.27 rear axle in this car, it's supposed to have a 2.73 so the electronic speedometer is off. In computer cars, adjusting the speedometer isn't as simple as changing a nylon gear in transmission. The GPS will suffice for the time being, that is, until all the satellites get blown up as suggested. Such a catastrophy wouldn't have much direct effect on my life, more likely in many indirect ways having to do with keeping supplied.

Mine got me through many a nighttime compass course and one of these .
View attachment 1082700
Familiar with the red-lens, as we had to use those in AFG after dark.
But whatcha got goin' on there with the paracord?
Pretty sure those ain't Ben Wa balls, or some of them other beads... :D

A pace counter to count your steps
Never used one of those. I've always just counted my steps in my head.

One thing that I do have going for me is a calibrated step/pace length. Developed it over four years of surveying and construction staking during summers between college years. That same calibrated pace has served me very well in orienteering meets and just wandering around in the woods and mountains for decades.

Never used one of those. I've always just counted my steps in my head.

One thing that I do have going for me is a calibrated step/pace length. Developed it over four years of surveying and construction staking during summers between college years. That same calibrated pace has served me very well in orienteering meets and just wandering around in the woods and mountains for decades.
Well it was helpful they would hide stuff and if you were off you were a bolo at that station

Well it was helpful they would hide stuff and if you were off you were a bolo at that station
Yeah, in our meets they would hide the bags down in holes and in dense trees and stuff. I'm familiar with their little tricks...

Bolo? Be On the Look Out? o_O

This kind of thing is why we have LONG kept a few K in cash at the house. For one it comes in handy now and then for kids. Who run into some calamity and need a quick loan from the bank of Mom&Dad. Although that's rare any more now that they are older. We were doing this when the great Y2K was coming. I upped it to about 6K for that. I did not believe in the damn crash but I did believe that if some natural disaster knocked out power people would panic. In any case having some cash on hand could make life far easier if something happens short term.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top