JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Controversial message(s)

Huh?!?!
BUT, But, but.....
What kind of controversy is there, when speaking of the 1st and 2nd Amendments and the RIGHTS in the US Constitution?

WAIT, Wait, wait.......
It happened at a "Public School."

Aloha, Mark

AFAIK, this would fly at my better half's school too. But it is a rural district and a good deal of the staff are gun owners, hunters, et al.

Gun!

panic-oh-noes.gif

we need to keep pushing the fact that keeping-and-bearing is a civil right. if an understanding of and appreciation for civil rights is to be in the general curriculum of public primary school, pro-2a statements need to be as accepted, protected, and celebrated as pro-all-other-civil-rights causes.

civil rights be civil rights. dont be picking n choosing. thats the path to the dark side of the force.

course, in my opinion, in light o the fact that public primary school exists ostensibly to inculcate a compliant and productive workforce, political or politicized topics ought to be banned entirely and a dress code enforced - just like at the workplace - but nobuddy give a hoot what i think ya hurd

we need to keep pushing the fact that keeping-and-bearing is a civil right. if an understanding of and appreciation for civil rights is to be in the general curriculum of public primary school, pro-2a statements need to be as accepted, protected, and celebrated as pro-all-other-civil-rights causes.

civil rights be civil rights. dont be picking n choosing. thats the path to the dark side of the force.

course, in my opinion, in light o the fact that public primary school exists ostensibly to inculcate a compliant and productive workforce, political or politicized topics ought to be banned entirely and a dress code enforced - just like at the workplace - but nobuddy give a hoot what i think ya hurd
Sodomy is a civil right. Flag burning is a civil right. Lying is a civil right. Blasphemy is a civil right.

Perhaps some civil rights are best not exercised in the classroom?

So a kid cant express a completely lawful constitutional right but is encouraged by the school to express and support other different political groups? One could argue the merits of leaving gun rights stuff out of the classroom if the politics were equally applied.

So a kid cant express a completely lawful constitutional right but is encouraged by the school to express and support other different political groups? One could argue the merits of leaving gun rights stuff out of the classroom if the politics were equally applied.
I don't know what "equally applied" means. School is not a public square. It is a place where children go to learn how to learn, be socialized with diverse children and adults, learn discipline self control and expand their perspectives. That's education.

What you see as "supporting other political groups" might be viewed with a less jaundiced eye as simply learning empathy for more kinds of people. But that really has nothing to do with this, because BLM or whatever aren't equal and opposite of firearms rights. Objections to those things are different and separate. A child's education isn't the result of horse trading.

What is probably a lot more important is that everybody - gun owners included - want kids to take guns seriously so they don't do stupid things with them. But in this case the most important message a seven year old should be learning about guns is being subsumed by the political maneuverings of the parents.

If children are not supposed to have guns in schools, perhaps it is simply consistent to leave the hats, shirts, toys and gun artwork at home. Home is where you have hobbies, learn gun safety, play with your own toys, dress like Spider-Man and throw tantrums. It is a different place from school.

There is nothing gained by a seven year old getting to wear a piece of gun clothing for an additional 8 hours a day. But there might be something lost in terms of discipline and focus because AR15s have nothing to do with elementary education.

I don't know what "equally applied" means. School is not a public square. It is a place where children go to learn how to learn, be socialized with diverse children and adults, learn discipline self control and expand their perspectives. That's education.

What you see as "supporting other political groups" might be viewed with a less jaundiced eye as simply learning empathy for more kinds of people. But that really has nothing to do with this, because BLM or whatever aren't equal and opposite of firearms rights. Objections to those things are different and separate. A child's education isn't the result of horse trading.

What is probably a lot more important is that everybody - gun owners included - want kids to take guns seriously so they don't do stupid things with them. But in this case the most important message a seven year old should be learning about guns is being subsumed by the political maneuverings of the parents.

If children are not supposed to have guns in schools, perhaps it is simply consistent to leave the hats, shirts, toys and gun artwork at home. Home is where you have hobbies, learn gun safety, play with your own toys, dress like Spider-Man and throw tantrums. It is a different place from school.

There is nothing gained by a seven year old getting to wear a piece of gun clothing for an additional 8 hours a day. But there might be something lost in terms of discipline and focus because AR15s have nothing to do with elementary education.
Apply the gun attire issue to anything considered resembling right wing, now, consider the same kid wearing something considered left wing. We all have seen, even in my personal experience, that the rules are being selectively enforced. Some schools are not allowing anything patriotic at all but encouraging much more extreme attire as long as it fits the ever creeping narrative of the left. I can only go on what I actually see as reading anything these days is a literal crap shoot. Fact is, whether you can see it or not, what used to be normal people are being relabeled and censored, even called extremists, LOL.

Sodomy is a civil right. Flag burning is a civil right. Lying is a civil right. Blasphemy is a civil right.

not suggesting people should be having sex of any kind - anal m4m or otherwise - in the classroom. also not suggesting anyone should be carrying an ar15 in the classroom. wearing a hat or t-shirt is a lil diff than that, doncha thunk?

as i said, personally, i dont think any causes ought to be expressed at school. but if one kid can wear a BLM shirt and another kid can wear a shirt with a christian cross on it and other kid can wear an lgbt rainbow shirt, why the hell cant a kid wear a shirt demonstrating support for the 2nd goddamn amendment to the bill of goddamn rights?

youre also the dude that thinks the first amendment should be limited to whatever the current moralists approve of, tho, so not sure i trust your opinion on such matters.

rights are rights. schools have the authority to limit the expression of rights and thats fine, but they need to be equitable limitations.

Apply the gun attire issue to anything considered resembling right wing, now, consider the same kid wearing something considered left wing. We all have seen, even in my personal experience, that the rules are being selectively enforced. Some schools are not allowing anything patriotic at all but encouraging much more extreme attire as long as it fits the ever creeping narrative of the left. I can only go on what I actually see as reading anything these days is a literal crap shoot. Fact is, whether you can see it or not, what used to be normal people are being relabeled and censored, even called extremists, LOL.
Guns aren't right wing. Lots of liberals also own them and support 2A. In fact, only 20% of all Americans want 2A repealed, and only 39% of registered Democrats. It is a widely supported right.

Liberals also support the 1st Amendment.

What is an image (not slogan) that is "liberal"?

So I don't know what pro-right wing attire looks like, aside from MAGA hats. But that's rather beside the point - a picture of a gun doesn't support rights any more than a picture of an atom supports nuclear proliferation. If the attire in question had the text "Support the Second Amendment" that would be a lot different than a picture of an example of a weapon.

Put it this way - 2A does not say gun, it says "arms". I'll bet the school has no issue with a shirt picturing an aircraft carrier. Clearly the ban isn't on 2A images but very specific hand weapons.

Guns aren't right wing. Lots of liberals also own them and support 2A. In fact, only 20% of all Americans want 2A repealed, and only 39% of registered Democrats. It is a widely supported right.

Liberals also support the 1st Amendment.

What is an image (not slogan) that is "liberal"?

So I don't know what pro-right wing attire looks like, aside from MAGA hats. But that's rather beside the point - a picture of a gun doesn't support rights any more than a picture of an atom supports nuclear proliferation. If the attire in question had the text "Support the Second Amendment" that would be a lot different than a picture of an example of a weapon.

Put it this way - 2A does not say gun, it says "arms". I'll bet the school has no issue with a shirt picturing an aircraft carrier. Clearly the ban isn't on 2A images but very specific hand weapons.
Way to hit all the current talking points, I applaud you. I'm going to assume that you are college educated, probably highly so, without any kids. Broad assumption and I apologize if I am wrong. But, there is a definitive pattern that most can clearly see, even predict, if they haven't been to higher education. You know, people who have to experience things to understand them, not just get told things and pass a test.

why the hell cant a kid wear a shirt demonstrating support for the 2nd goddamn amendment to the bill of goddamn rights?
A gun is a gun. It doesn't demonstrate support for a right. See aircraft carrier example.

youre also the dude that thinks the first amendment should be limited to whatever the current moralists approve of, tho, so not sure i trust your opinion on such matters.
I don't know why people keep saying that. I absolutely support freedom of speech from government intervention (except for perjury and the like). Why is it you can't understand the difference between opposing bad speech in society and government intervention? How much clearer could I be?

Let's put this another way. Your kid should be able to wear a shirt that says "Support 2A", and someone else's kid should be able to wear a shirt that says "I"m pro life". But maybe guns and pictures of aborted fetuses are both inappropriate.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads