JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have done three AK in the digital desert marage flage pattern. I think it turned out great. The easiest way is to pick a pattern and purchase a peel and spray kit. If you have an airbrush already that's a plus. If not they can sell you one that will do the job. I think it is quite durable stuff if applied right. But remember that no paint is invincable. No matter what you do. Here is a link to get you headed in the right direction for what you want.

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_desertmirageflage.html

To make sure that I had everything completely clean, I bead basted everything with walnut shell media. Blew everything out real well with an airhose. Reassembled everything stuck a mag in the gun. Then I had a metal rod that I clamped into a bench vise and slipped gun over the rod muzzle end first...(duh)...and that held the rifle off the bench and ready for hands free painting. As I painted the gun I rotated it very carefuly from the butt end. Let each coat or color dry thoroughly before you apply the stencils. With an airbrush the overspray is not to bad, but a fan would help blow it away. When you buy a peel and spray kit they send you a dvd that shows thw step by step process. Oh...and make sure the area you spray in and the gun are both about 65 degrees. The stencils do not stick very well when it is cold.

Here is a couple of pictures of my paint job.

If you have any questions...shoot me a PM. :s0155:

LOOKS GOOD!!!

I'm not wanting to do a camo job "YET" just single color or maybe a two tone.

What all do I need to order? I have an air brush.

I forgot to mention that they will tell you that 1 kit is enough for 1 rifle and 2 hand guns. If you are very conservative and concentrate on coverage and color you can stretch the paint. The pictures show everything I did with 1 kit. If you are careful you can reuse the stencils and you can also use the negative image as well as the possitive image. The price of the kits...you want to stretch the kit as much as you can.

LOOKS GOOD!!!

I'm not wanting to do a camo job "YET" just single color or maybe a two tone.

What all do I need to order? I have an air brush.

Google duracoat and there should be a link to...I think it is Lauwery Weapons(?) and you can order on line. You can also get single colors on Ebay...

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_nk...es&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH

If you have an airbrush you are set. mix things exactly and you can stretch the materials.

Google duracoat and there should be a link to...I think it is Lauwery Weapons(?) and you can order on line. You can also get single colors on Ebay...

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_nk...es&_trksid=m194&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSRCHX:SRCH

If you have an airbrush you are set. mix things exactly and you can stretch the materials.

I've down quite a few rifles in Duracoat. The trick is we clean with Acetone to make sure ALL the grease has been removed. we all also warm up the product in the oven to a good room temp if cold outside and then paint it then after its flashed off put it back in the oven at about 180 to 200 deg for 1 hr then we let them sit for couple of days and it's ready to go.

Airbrush wastes to much product, I would recommend using a Harbor Freight HVLP sprayer. It's puts out a better spray pattern.

ya might consider KG Coatings(gun-kote).This stuff is tuff,only way to get it off is with a bead blaster.impervious to chemicals,oils etc.easy to apply also.Heat up the parts to 150-200,spray it on then bake it for an hour or so.done.as with any of the finishes,prep is the most important part.clean, clean and clean.Duracoat is thicker so if you want to do areas where thin is needed,duracoat won't be your choice.It fills in your engravings more than KG coatings.just a thought.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top