Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

duplicating stocks-suggestions??

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by coop44, Apr 6, 2011.

1. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

Been thinking of setting up a stock duplicator for some time now, new wood stocks are hard to find or almost nonexistant for a lot of milsurp guns. I can build or buy the copier. Wood is not a problem, a bit pricey for the really nice hardwoods, but not bad for laminates and plain hardwoods.

My question is: which stocks would you like to see duplicated?

2. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

I would like a model 51 Husqvarna or FN commercial mauser stock.
    James Ruby

3. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

With the soaring costs of most target rifles I believe there could be a market for a varmint/target stock for the M98 size Mausers and their variants, like JGR mentions.
    Finding a hardwood with less density to keep them on the lighter side might be difficult though. Maybe beech?

4. coop44

beech is too soft, birch would be best, why light? I want some heft to a bench, varmit gun.

5. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

I just posted a ad looking for some who duplicates stocks. I'm building a switch barrel Mauser 22 17Mk2 on a 22 Mauser action. I have two barrels both Shaw and the barrels are held on by a set screw knob. the barrels are fill 1" I will turn them down to .920 so the stock I have is to narrow on the for end. I would like a laminate stock. SO I think that there is a market for someone to duplicate stocks. I thought about doing it myself but I'm into metal work and bluing so another expense for more tooling and machines will have to wait.

6. coop44

thanks everyone, if things go right I will be able to cut my first stocks in 60 days, military profile stocks, and then sporter stocks.

7. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

Hey Coop44
    I just got a quote for my mauser stock lots of $ and a 6 week wait. so when your up and running let me know.
    Thanks

8. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Coop44 do you need something smaller to try early for a test run? I have a little H&R 929 .22 revolver, black frame with those uninteresting shiny black plastic grips. It would look really cool with a pair of identical grips in wood.

Maybe there's already something like what you're setting up, but for pistol grips? Anybody around Portland doing this?

9. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

How did this go Coop?
    Did you get the duplicator?
    Is it working?
    Are you ready for a deluge of work? ;)

Inquiring minds want to know!!