Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

dumbest thing someone has said to you regarding firearms/carry

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Jdub22, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Jdub22

Jdub22 Vancouver, WA Member

a couple days ago i was talking with a buddy who knows i carry. anyway he said one of the dumbest things i've ever heard with regard to concealed carry laws and what he said was:

"you can't carry it loaded!"

...i didn't even get into it with him :pound:

so when it comes to guns/gun laws, what's the dumbest thing you've ever had someone say to you?

2. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

"why do you feel the need to carry a GUN??!!" "The police will protect you."

...there begins my explanation that police in most cases respond to crimes, and deal w/ victims. Which usually by necessity leads to a discussion that I am not anti cop by any means, merely realistic. (brother used to be LE...it was many of his stories years ago that made me want to carry).

And yes, I cannot believe, even the number of 'gun' types, that do not agree to carry w/ one in the pipe. If they are interested in listening, I go into that whole study done about the average time it takes an assailant to reach you from 21 feet or whatever...

3. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

When I carry, which is often, not one but maybe the wife knows. Because of that I get no comments.

It's no one else's business. Don't give a F*^k what they might think.

4. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member

"What do you mean you have hollow points in your gun? Aren't those illegal?"

I also like

"Why do you have guns? Is it because you are scared?"

Some people just don't get it.........

5. JUSTIficatioN

JUSTIficatioN Seattle, Wa Member

"Why do you carry a gun?"

6. willseeker

willseeker N. Portland. Well-Known Member

Why do you carry...are you paranoid?

I don't think I am?:paranoid:... am I?
    :D

7. SlickJoeSD

SlickJoeSD Astoria, OR Member

Officer -Sir do you know you were doing 55 in a 45?
    Me- Before you start officer, I have a valid CCW.

Officer - Sweet what are you carrying?

5 mins later

Officer - I appreciate you telling me you had a CCW from the get go, I appreciate that you are in the .mil, and i'd appreciate it if you would slow down, now get outa here!

8. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

Why do you have guns?.......Given this is a loaded question. My answer is always. “Just in case I need to kill someone”

9. Jdub22

to that i would say "no, it's because i was scared."

10. badclam

badclam willapa bay Sunny SW WA Active Member

I'm with orygun.And no I don't tell people I'm packing when I go into their home or car.(that was an earlier thread.)And I think a CPL badge is a stupid idea.(another earlier post.)
    I'll share a quote I hope doesn't offend anybody.
    "a concealed weapon is like a bubblegum,It should be left hidden away untill it's needed."
    I thought it was funny.

11. Jdub22

oops

12. mattt

mattt Salem Or Member

Regarding home defense,
    "If you shoot someone, make sure the body is in the house when the cops show up"

13. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Couple years ago I called in a hot car breakin. Guy was breaking into cars in broad daylight in a "secured" lot. While following the perp through the area to help LE keep him within reach I was asked to get into the cruiser to ID the guy. I didn't think it was the time to discuss my CCP so I just got in carrying quiet and concealed like always. Wonder if I was legal at that point? Point is: nobody needed to know, that's why it's CWP

14. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

Idiot: "You gonna shoot me with that thing?"

Me: "only if I have to."

15. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

Had a young LEO ask me why I carry a couple yrs. ago. I said for almost the same reason that you do sir to protect & (pre)serve..he just smiled and handed me a warning.

16. BlvdKing

BlvdKing Almost Boring Member

I always get people wanting me to show it to them and I tell them "the only way you get to see it is right before the lights go out"

17. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

I'm surprised at some people being offended by anyone carrying in a specific location. Grocery store, theater, convention center, etc.

"Why do you think you need a gun here?"
    For the same reason I carry at all... Because of all the surprised looking victims and witnesses on the news.

18. M.Link

M.Link Guest

A guy saw my AR and 870 in the back seat of my truck and said "man, don't get caught with those!". I asked him why and he said I would go to jail! And that the cops don't like those things, especially the shotgun. I told him that you could go to wholesale sports and buy ten of them if you wanted too. He still disagreed!

19. Logical1

Logical1 southeast portland, OR Member

I get the same question from buddies and thats my answer also....my other favorite question because I carry condition 1 is "arent you afraid its going to go off?" I always tell them yes....and then shrug my shoulders and laugh..
    keep in mind these are only close friends (and some of them also carry)

20. Generator

Generator Bend Member

Shotgun in the living room, My Mom stopped by and asked:
    Do you have a license for that?
    and she was terrified that it would go off, unloaded.
    I explained that I have bought guns from friends of mine out of the back of their trucks, she was in a state of shock and horror that this is possible.

...She doesn't get to look in the Gun safe