JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, I think recklessness is not just a product of probability, but probability multiplied by the potential damage. Recklessness is sometimes beyond mere negligence simply because of the potential damage being risked by the unreasonable behavior. Consider:

An act that has 1 in 1000 chances of causing a minor cold.

An act that has 1 in 1000 chances of causing a minor auto accident.

An act that has 1 in 1000 chances of killing innocent people by driving drunk.

An act that has 1 in 1000 chances of setting off a nuclear bomb in a major city.

An act that has 1 in 1000 chances of causing the EOTWAWKI.

Not all are reckless. But some surely are. Driving drunk is reckless, precisely because the potential damage is so high.

No, I think recklessness is not just a product of probability, but probability multiplied by the potential damage. Recklessness is sometimes beyond mere negligence simply because of the potential damage being risked by the unreasonable behavior. Consider:

An act that has 1 in 1000 chances of causing a minor cold.

An act that has 1 in 1000 chances of causing a minor auto accident.

An act that has 1 in 1000 chances of killing innocent people by driving drunk.

An act that has 1 in 1000 chances of setting off a nuclear bomb in a major city.

An act that has 1 in 1000 chances of causing the EOTWAWKI.

Not all are reckless. But some surely are. Driving drunk is reckless, precisely because the potential damage is so high.

Yeah, you're right...

Here's the RCW on who can't possess a firearm: Unlawful possession of firearms — Ownership, possession by certain persons — Penalties.

Thanks for clarifying the facts on that. Looks like the guy is legal to own a pistol.

BS. I haven't, and wont.

Some of us actually have proper judgement.

You want a medal or something?

Sounds like you a good boyscout. Thanks for calling my BS.

"Everyone" was a mis-statement. "Lots of people" would have been better.

But the point was, that you can still own handguns, and vote, if you have a DUI.

No, pointing out that saying that it's no biggie, everyones done it is BS, and that's just people trying to justify their own irresponsible behavior.

But hey, if the shoe fits......;)

Agreed, don't let some of these people make you feel otherwise.

Maybe he should get a friggin medal! What do those who don't go out and do things like this get? Nothing. Don't mock this.

When it comes to drinking and driving, that is no joke. Go ahead and call it no big deal, but it's PEOPLE who kill SO many other completely innocent people every year.

If there's one reason I have so much more respect for many firearm owners, it's that they have an underlying, self-motivated sense of responsibility. They are the ones who DON'T go out and end up murdering somebody with their car for the same reason they don't run around negligently discharging, mishandling, or purposely shooting people just because they have a firearm.

I don't drink and drive, I am purposely aware of my limits. Why? I'm not religiously motivated, no moral reason, either. I don't do it because it's responsible, and the benefits vastly, VASTLY outweigh the risks and especially the consequences. Not consequences to myself, either, those are minuscule compared to what happens to the victims, their families, and the potential life that may have been significantly changed or destroyed altogether.

I have experience with this, except I was being driven home by a drunk driver in HS. (I didn't know, nobody knew.)
Well, to put it simply, she idiotically crashed an $80k car, of which it's mass safety systems left us relatively uninjured.

What was her logic? Well, when we all were out of the car, she said.
"Okay... Who's willing to say they drove?!"

That, right there, sums up the logic of a drunk driver. Before and after the wreck, irresponsible and passing blame. I have that on video, by the way.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top