JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow, call me a Dud and then ask for advice. Don't know if I should answer. (LOL). I believe many gun ranges have a box for live ammo that did not fire. Not sure what they do with them, but I dont care. Also if you know a reloader they often have bullet pullers and will take them apart for the parts.

You can use them to add excitement to your next camp fire :)

Can you post your camping schedule along with locations? Just so we all can make sure we're out of the Impact Zone when you are "adding excitement" to your campfire:cool:

If there are only a small amount, in a bag and in the garbage. Within 24 hours after pickup they'll be buried and won't be bothered for at least 100 years or so.

If larger quantities, and you want to recycle the components, spend $15 or so for a kinetic bullet puller that looks like a hammer. Bullets in one box to sell as lead and cases in another to sell as brass.

As for my local range, the "duds" just end up in the brass box. It's usually "mined" frequently by other members and they often pick up the duds to pull down. They then will then just reload with a new primer and powder, using it for plinking or fun target shooting.

Don't bother your local PD or Fire Department. Most around here don't have a clue what to do with it.

Can you post your camping schedule along with locations? Just so we all can make sure we're out of the Impact Zone when you are "adding excitement" to your campfire:cool:
You mean the impact zone of the brass? Because that's the only part that will fly back out of the fire.

Have heard to be safe, drop them in a can of auto oil overnight and then to the garbage.....

That is a myth. There is a guy who has continued to do a test over several years by putting a bunch into oil. He takes a couple of them out each year and, so far, they have all fired when tested.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2

My buddy has a kinetic bullet puller. Works like a charm separating the brass and bullet safely. Then it gets reloaded with all the other brass.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Bullet puller so that you can at least reuse the bullet. Some people will decap the primer but I don't think it's worth the risk of damage to my press (or muself).

I decap misfired brass all the time... never had one go off...

I've even accidentally decapped new primed brass and never had an issue...

but that doesn't mean it can't ever go off.. just very unlikely

Decapping live primers doesn't usually end badly, however i have had them go off before, it's usually not a big deal. Just make sure you don't have a cup full of live primers you recently decapped... that could end badly.

Depending on how serious you are about recovering the components, you could use a kinetic puller. I've gotten really lazy and careless about components and will often just rip them apart with vicegrips and throw all the components in the appropriate recycle bins. Gunpowder for the 4th of july, brass for the scrapper, lead for the casting pot.

I soak misfires in penetrating oil for a looong time then kinetic puller, dispose of powder(burn outside), squirt primer w/ pen oil inside case, decap and wash components and tools in alcohol to remove the pen oil. Seems kind of involved when spelled out like this.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top