JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I want it. I greatly enjoy building AR platform rifles but it's grown a bit stale to me and I feel I need to take a break. There are a few reasons I like the FAL..
- 7.62 x 51 cartridge is incredibly fun to shoot
- Tried and true platform
- Adjustable gas piston system
- Reasonable accuracy with quality ammo

The version I'm looking at runs about $2,300 on their site. I'd probably have to sell of a gun or two to make this happen... It seems DS arms is the most respected FAL manufacturer currently making them...

DSA SA58 Improved Battle Carbine - 16" Fluted Tactical Barrel, BRS Folding Stock - DS Arms

My question. Is it worth it? Is there anything I should be aware of should I actually decide to go forward with purchasing?

We went with HK91 types (PTR91's) and AR10 types due to a similar quandary. Overall platform cost per rifle, as well as parts support/cost.

FAL rifles are supposed to be pretty darned nice. Haven't ever actually had the opportunity to run one though, so there is that.

For us though, simply can't justify the initial $ outlay. All of our firearms are tools, not collector pieces. If something happens to go up in value, great, but it's not the expectation.

So, if initial price outlay is less of a concern...absolutely get what you want. If initial price outlay is more of a concern, look towards less expensive options (PTR91,AR10, M1A).

For me, FAL's and true HK91's fall into the category of they'd sure be nice to own someday, but they'd just set in the safe...

We went with HK91 types (PTR91's) and AR10 types due to a similar quandary. Overall platform cost per rifle, as well as parts support/cost.

FAL rifles are supposed to be pretty darned nice. Haven't ever actually had the opportunity to run one though, so there is that.

For us though, simply can't justify the initial $ outlay. All of our firearms are tools, not collector pieces. If something happens to go up in value, great, but it's not the expectation.

So, if initial price outlay is less of a concern...absolutely get what you want. If initial price outlay is more of a concern, look towards less expensive options (PTR91,AR10, M1A).

For me, FAL's and true HK91's fall into the category of they'd sure be nice to own someday, but they'd just set in the safe...

If you don't mind me asking, who is the "us" you are referring to and for what purpose are they a tool? Do you find that a piston system is more reliable than a DI for this purpose?

I've always tended to fall on the side of spend more up front, save in the long run (instead of rebuying later). I can find a way to make up the money difference. Then again I'm only buying one and not supplying a crew.

At .60 each round, I wanted something with better sights and sighting system. It's a robust firearm, but in the end, I sold it for something more accurate.

I was into fal's long before I ever got into the AR game and I would never part with the two I still have. I say if you have your heart set on that particular version go for it. If you are a bit more flexible some nice used ones pop up now and then for quite a bit less. Might be a good way to get your feet wet with less of an investment and then you can decide if a different model like the one you linked would be more suitable and worth the cash outlay. #Fal'sRock :cool:

At .60 each round, I wanted something with better sights and sighting system. It's a robust firearm, but in the end, I sold it for something more accurate.

I can ring a 8" steel plates at 300yds with the iron sights on my Fal's. Scoped, one is about 1moa and the other just over. Not bad for a robust battle rifles. My only complaint is they are a touch heavy to pack all day.

One of the best rifles around! You will not be disappointed. The adjustable gas system is really nice. Make it easy to dial in your hand loads. They will easily shoot 1" groups at 100yards.
I have a 10" steel plate I put out at 600 meters. Insert 20 rd magazine, slide the rear sight to 600 and plink away.
One other thing I really like, it's all steel!

And 90 countries can't be wrong.

I had a new SA58 some years back and it was a great rifle, but I sold it and replaced it with an M1A Scout Squad.
The M1A was a softer and more accurate shooter and I much preferred it. YMMV

One of the best rifles around! You will not be disappointed. The adjustable gas system is really nice. Make it easy to dial in your hand loads. They will easily shoot 1" groups at 100yards.
I have a 10" steel plate I put out at 600 meters. Insert 20 rd magazine, slide the rear sight to 600 and plink away.

More than 90. And they absolutely ARE wrong, cause plenty of em got rid of the FAL!

The only ones that were right are the ones that kept the FAL.

I loved my FAL but it was too heavy beast even as a shorty 16". If I was to spend $2k + on a .308, it would most definately go to a precision bolt gun.

In the end I just stayed with the AR since I can pretty much hit anything out to 300 yards off-hand.

I can ring a 8" steel plates at 300yds with the iron sights on my Fal's. Scoped, one is about 1moa and the other just over. Not bad for a robust battle rifles. My only complaint is they are a touch heavy to pack all day.

You must be shooting hand loads? Don't tell me you have found a unicorn rifle? In my experience, which is limited to the 2 FAL's I had, it was common to see 3 to 4 inches at 100yds with milsurp ammo. Both FAL's were fun to shoot, but ultimately sold off.

You must be shooting hand loads? Don't tell me you have found a unicorn rifle? In my experience, which is limited to the 2 FAL's I had, it was common to see 3 to 4 inches at 100yds with milsurp ammo. Both FAL's were fun to shoot, but ultimately sold off.
Best surplus ammo I shot was Hirtenberger and it was very accurate. It was hard to find after guys caught on though.

My most accurate fal is a stg-58 matching # kit built on a imbel receiver. My other is a L1a1 franken fal with a fairly tight chamber. They accuracy I acheived was with surplus ammo not reloads. Hirt and Port seemed to be the best. I still have a bit of both stashed away:s0023:.

I had a new SA58 some years back and it was a great rifle, but I sold it and replaced it with an M1A Scout Squad.
The M1A was a softer and more accurate shooter and I much preferred it. YMMV
This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Everything can add up on paper one way...but it's actual experience and direct comparison that tell the true story

What do you think is the optimum barrel length? I generally prefer shorter barrels as they are more wieldy .... but I've heard to stay 18" and up with .308.

No intended purpose was stated by the OP; I'd say avoid a 16" .308 and stay with 18" for compact or 21" if you prefer a long range shooter. Same deal with the para folding stock version. They're neat and all but doubtful you'll be doing house clearing or CQB work with a 308 - besides you said you have AR(s).

I never plan to sell my older 18" SA58.

But got intrigued when they recently introduced the Voyager version on sale (but out of stock most everywhere) for a grand. https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/dsa-fal-sa58-rifle-voyager-18

That's right - about $1,000 vs. the $2,300 you're looking at. If it were me, I'd get on a backorder list for one of these and drop in the upgraded rear sight and extended safety that DSA make and sell for an extra $100 or so. Spend the rest on mags and ammo.

Besides, you can convert to a para / folder later - but this way you find out whether you dig the platform or not.

edit: the DSA FAL 21" Voyager is in stock at Atlantic
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/ds-arms-fal-sa58-rifle-21-premium-threaded-barrel

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads