Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Dropped my safe, Now It will not open?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Coppertop, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Coppertop

Coppertop Eastern, WA New Member

So I recently moved, in said move I dropped my gun safe right on it's combination dial, I had to pull out on the dial in order to get it to freely turn, but now the combination will not open it. Half of my firearms are stuck in this safe. What are my options? I know I am dialing the right combination...

2. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

:s0122:

Make and model of the safe?

3. Coppertop

It is a field and stream 10 gun fire safe like this one from dicks sporting goods . It has a few scratches from the drop but it does not seem like it is heavily damaged, I fear my only option is to break it open but I am hoping for a better option, I can post actual picture tomorrow morning. pDSP1-12373761dt.jpg

4. jim97701

jim97701 Bend Well-Known Member

Might be time to grab a good pry bar and hope that it's a crappy safe:D or maybe call a locksmith?. Best of luck too you, that really sucks!.

5. parallax

parallax eugene, or-gun Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

is the tumbler a S & G.?

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

More then likely you dislodged the anti-tamper dial re-locker.
    It's a piece of metal that drops down into a slot on the safes handle draw bar.
    Looks likes this home made safes re-locker. Some are spring loaded, but most are gravity activated.
    You could turn the safe upside down and then enter the combination, and if you're lucky, the re-locker will drop out of the slot.

Safe 003.JPG

Dyjital and Joe13 like this.
  7. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

A good lesson to others trying to do the same. I've never considered moving a safe without its contents removed. Hope your firearms survived the drop. I think I would've freaked out and already have it pealed it open! Good luck!

FourTeeFive, Caveman Jim and Joe13 like this.
  8. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Here's a pic of a standard gun safes re-locker. It's always a good idea to remove the back of your safes door and take a couple of pics for future reference.

lvl2-pg16-lockingmech.jpg

ZA_Survivalist, Joe13 and IronMonster like this.
  9. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

I have had to cut open a few safes ( I bought a couple at a government surplus auction that had no combo's)
    If it comes to that what I did was lay the safe on its side, cut the bottom out with a zip disk and once inside took the door cover off and opened up the safe. That way I could weld the bottom back in and since its bolted down no one would never see. Its takes surprisingly little time. These where good Fort Knox safes and it took all of 15 minutes to open have the doors open. ( of course that is in my fab shop with real tools, a forklift and an over head crane.)

The relocker is a likely culprit but it could be that you just bent the flat rod that attaches the dial to the actual lock. If you did then the numbers would not correspond to the same place in the lock any more. Many relockers are set up to drop if a punch is used to knock the lock off from the outside though, which would be similar to dropping the safe on the dial, especially if the connecting rod is stout

I think before you do anything you should consult with a good safe guy/locksmith

OLDNEWBIE and Joe13 like this.
  10. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would at least try to contact the safe manufacturer for their recommendation before doing anything more. If you haven't done so already, they might have a suggestion or even a preferred locksmith you could work with.

Sgt Nambu, Caveman Jim and Joe13 like this.
  11. The Heretic

The Heretic Oregon Well-Known Member

Depends on the cost of the safe vs. the cost of a locksmith. If the cost of a locksmith and repairs is less than the cost of the safe, then get a locksmith.

Joe13 likes this.
  12. Coppertop

Thank you for all the suggestion. I am not sure if it is an S&G tumbler. Yes I learned my lesson the hard way we actually discussed taking everything out prior to unloading it from the truck just to lighten it up but in my hast I vetoed that idea, shame on me :(. I will try opening it upside down, if nothing happens I will contact manufacturer and locksmith tomorrow, cutting the bottom out is a great idea as my last resort, thank you for that ironmonster, the safe cost me 320 a few years ago so it won't be a terrible loss, just a 320 dollar lesson learned,well likely more as I will have to buy a replacement , I will post any updates on my progress. Thank you to all.

soberups and etrain16 like this.
  13. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Call customer service!

14. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

15. Coppertop

Thank you for the links. I will call Stack -on in the morning, I did turn it upside down on the small chance that it would open but no success. I heard a bit of shifting but not to bad, luckily this is my ak and beater handgun safe, if it would have been my AR and 1911 safe I would be worried. Also I stuff my firearms in socks so that should cut down some of the damage:rolleyes:

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  16. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

On the bright side, you might have the opportunity to buy a new, larger safe.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    optrixs and Sgt Nambu like this.
  17. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Any news on this?

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  18. Coppertop

Update. I called Stack-on and they recommended some local locksmith's but nothing past that,but I do think it was my fault so I don't hold it against them. After talking to locksmith I decided to tear her open and just buy a new safe. So I cut open the bottom of the safe which turned out to be fairly easy. I unscrewed the back of the door (well my son did because it was a tight fit for me) and disabled the re-locker and the safe now opens just fine. It's sitting the corner of my garage, someday I may weld it back up. So lesson learned. More importantly I have my firearms back and none of them were injured during this ordeal.

Dyjital, soberups and F2CMaDMaXX like this.
  19. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Do a search on YouTube. The safe you have is a burglars dream. There should be a red "burglar button" on the door (hinge side). If you fashion the correct type of tin or metal piece you can slide in in the crack, touch that button and the lock will release. I watched a video of a guy that could crack these safes in a few seconds. Then toss that thing in trash.

20. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

Yours should be exactly the same design.