JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, update. The gas tube/key was ever so slightly off canter. I tapped it with a soft hammer in a few gentle steps and now it is full operational. I'm taking the BCG to my closest shop with a vise and proper clamps to do a backyard staking on it. Depending on how it goes I may still replace the whole thing.

All of your replies have been more than helpful to say the least. This forum is nothing short of a wealth of information. Thank you everyone for all the knowledge you've supplied!!!

OK, update. The gas tube/key was ever so slightly off canter. I tapped it with a soft hammer in a few gentle steps and now it is full operational. I'm taking the BCG to my closest shop with a vise and proper clamps to do a backyard staking on it. Depending on how it goes I may still replace the whole thing.

Examine the end of the key where the gas tube engages, make sure it has not been oblonged, other otherwise damaged. With the bolt removed make sure the carrier slides freely and the key is properly aligned with the gas tube.

I'd replace the screws, torque carrier key screws to 50 to 58 in-lb. (I use OCKS and stake with a MOACKS). This the weak link of the AR, if not done right expect issues. You could go old school and use a center punch and stake three places (equilateral triangular shaped) per screw on the top of the key.

Last Edited:
carrier staking.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 9.03.50 AM.png
check the machine screws ( 6 ) to make sure they are not bent or cracked from the fall. If the key way was wonkey, those screws might be damaged. or completely sheared off inside. ( what tisonaritz said )

well without reading all the replies If your gas key was hit and has a slight ding in it then it then the gas tube may be keeping it from going into battery.

This is why everyone needs at least two AR15s. Parts swap and check.
"If one is good, then two is better- and THREE is MO BETTAH!":D Sorry I cannot be of direct assistance, but advice is free, and "Ah feel yo pain"... good luck.
Oh, I knew there was a reason I invested wisely in AK rifles back in the day. The AR also holds a place in my selection and I stay experienced, but the AK has been fail-safe for me for like 35 years.. can't say the same about the AR-15. There is pro and con that can go on for years, but the AK is dead-nuts reliable, but harder for the layman (me) to work on. Not that this helps your problem, just sayin.
Having written this I see that you've gotten squared away with the carrier key. :) Glad you got it working again!

Last Edited:
"If one is good, then two is better- and THREE is MO BETTAH!":D Sorry I cannot be of direct assistance, but advice is free, and "Ah feel yo pain"... good luck.
Oh, I knew there was a reason I invested wisely in AK rifles back in the day. The AR also holds a place in my selection and I stay experienced, but the AK has been fail-safe for me for like 35 years.. can't say the same about the AR-15. There is pro and con that can go on for years, but the AK is dead-nuts reliable, but harder for the layman (me) to work on. Not that this helps your problem, just sayin.
Having written this I see that you've gotten squared away with the carrier key. :) Glad you got it working again!

That is completely dependent on which AK and which AR you are talking about, they are not all equal...

There are plenty of AK's with a lot of suckage, I personally would not own an American made AK for any reason. At the same time, I have had well over 5000 rounds through one of my AR's without cleaning and without a single malfunction.
S.W.A.T. MAGAZINE – FILTHY 14 : Slip 2000 Official Blog

Last Edited:
That is completely dependent on which AK and which AR you are talking about, they are not all equal...

There are plenty of AK's with a lot of suckage, I personally would not own an American made AK for any reason. At the same time, I have had well over 5000 rounds through one of my AR's without cleaning and without a single malfunction.
S.W.A.T. MAGAZINE – FILTHY 14 : Slip 2000 Official Blog
My only experience is with combloc weapons and not Romanian either.... I don't recognise Century as actually making AK's -"AK-like products", maybe. :) Other than the general "accuracy issue", the AK runs circles around the AR.. ime, ymmv!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top