JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started playing with drones a few months ago, as a hobby. it is possible to launch up my drone and view what is going on around my area on several adjoining streets in my neighborhood,while still staying directly above my property. using the camera and monitor (radio linked). I guess you could spot large movement of vehicles within a mile or so, very easily. I think Oregon has or is planning on outlawing drones for hunting.

Drones are a good way to provide real time intelligence on what is going on around you.

But unless the aforementioned drone comes equipped with Hell Fire missiles, you will have to wait until what is after you gets close enough to be sent away for a dirt nap.

Very short flight time compared to the length of time you could be under threat. Not to mention the only time its doing any good is if you are watching the monitor. SO for the 15 min flight time that's fine but what about the other hours of the day or night.

Now as an active observation post while under threat sure then having someone watch the monitor so see what the bad guys are doing for a short period of time would have some advantages.

I'm curious for those of you who know more about drones, what is the distance you can fly them? I'm sure some are obviously better than others, but in general...what, 1 mile? 5 miles? anybody have a good link to a site that you like for more info?

The transmitters for the most part are as far as you can see. If the aircraft is in the air high enough. They are FM transmitters so they do not go over hills and even buildings can be a problem. If the video image is of a high enough quality to see what position the drone is you can fly it by watching the ground. But it can be very very difficult to turn around and return unless you have something to follow.

Just like aircraft before there were flight compasses and radio direction finding you have to have a way to keep your bearings. Early pilots many times flew railroad tracks etc.

The rules of conflict dictate that if your foe has a technology that you do not, then that technology will become the dominating factor in your defeat.
Hard rules for a hard world

So while drones are cool and all, I've got a few of the little RC ones I fly around the house. the better option is balloons. If you have a relatively small payload and a white mylar balloon you can drive up to a few thousand feet, it's unlikely it will be spotted unless someone is really looking for it. At the same time, if you're holding it to the ground with some 100lb test, with a small power cable, or datalink, that's going to stay airborne for a lot longer than a battery operated drone.

Weather would be a big factor along with time of day. Plus how long can you keep it charged. It may work well in the beginning against looters but after they are thinned out the hard core will look for flags waving in the air like drones. It gets to hard core you better have a plan.

I could see some merit to using a balloon at night, if fitted with either night vision or heat camera it would help locate large and small groups, campfires etc...comparing several pics over a few nights will give an idea of movement and direction of movement, proximity, etc...
Operationally, wind is usually much less of a factor at night.

Been playing with drones for a few years now and I'll chime in.

I can be at 1000 feet in Less than 30 seconds. It is silent at altitude. Radios are nice for flying around the patch but autonomy via GPS waypoints makes it unnecessary. Plug in the desired route and let her go. There is a reason Mexican drug smugglers are using the off the shelf flight controllers to move product across the border. High precision and probability of success. Low risk.

F Ginny Burdick

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads