JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a few pistols that should be Ca legal. Question is following the travel rules as I understand them is it worth the hassle? Going down for funeral but will stay extra few days to visit.

If go to Cali, my Sig is not wanted there. I carry when I go to California.:rolleyes::cool:

Not legal advice, but hypothetical, wear something very concealed if one was to do
such a thing should only be used if life and limb. Drive speed limit, make sure all tail lights work.
That is hypothetically if someone was to go there with an undesirable firearm.

I have a few pistols that have under 10rd capacity. Not really planning on concealing. Just like to have it around. Hotels, gas stops and stuff. Thanks.

I have a few pistols that have under 10rd capacity. Not really planning on concealing. Just like to have it around. Hotels, gas stops and stuff. Thanks.
The laws there are pretty much restrained to use a firearm like you would here or Washington.
You cant have it loaded or accessible, from what I understand its the same loaded in your pocket as it is laying on the seat your car same charges if its loaded but might want to read up on the laws there a bit before going.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel
says :
HANDGUNS
Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES
Nonconcealable firearms (shotguns and rifles) are not generally covered within the provisions of California Penal Code section 25400 and therefore are not required to be transported in a locked container. However, as with any firearm, nonconcealable firearms must be unloaded while they are being transported.

REGISTERED ASSAULT WEAPONS
California Penal Code section 30945, subdivision (g) provides that registered assault weapons may be transported only between specified locations and must be unloaded and stored in a locked container when transported.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment.

I carry a P225/P6 (8 rounds).

I don't know that the laws are there and don't much care. I did hear they don't like magazines over 10 rounds so I carry the 8 rounder. I figure that's enough of following their stupid illegal laws.

I should have stated I have not been on Komiville, for about 12 years now. I tend to drive around the state even it its a few extra house. I won't give a dime to an gas station, business etc there.
I avoid supporting that state at all cost. But if I did go as martini_up mentioned I would carry and do your best.

IF you are in your car *at a rest stop,sleeping, type situation* ,RV or motel then having a weapon loaded is OK.It's like your "residence"
In a car ,your fire arm has to be in a lock box and in the trunk or such. They want you to commit "pre-meditated" murder, not defending one's self.They make it a certain number of steps to get to your gun
Private property you can have it loaded but it does have to be a cal spec gun.
There are many, from out of state that carry in Cally.I would just keep to the places I knew and not risk jail
Now I will not go to that state for anything. A card will suffice for a funeral,as far as I am concerned.

To the OP you can do it legally. If you do it illegally and get caught somehow, you will be a felon and you will lose all your gun rights anywhere.

I've travelled to California a few times in the last few years. I have always been armed and always within the laws of the state. My livelihood depends on me NOT breaking the law so I've gotten good at working within it.

I have other guns but in California I bring a 1911. I'm going down in a couple of weeks to a part of the state that's not super safe these days. I wonder how many realize that "locked container" means a gun vault with a t-shirt over it on the passenger seat? I keep two loaded magazines in the box next to the unloaded pistol.

If I was carrying illegally, anything can happen and to me it usually does. Ever been rear-ended? Hit a deer? Stopped for no apparent reason by some local yokel? "Hello sir I stopped you because it looked like you failed to completely stop back there at the flashing red light. Do you have any drugs or weapons in the vehicle? Do you mind if I check?"

I can't say I don't feel naked without my pistol on my hip because I do. I think the heightened sense of situation awareness is a good thing for me. I avoid many places that I wouldn't have given a second thought just because of the "what if" thing bouncing around in my head. Rest stops, liquor stores, etc.

I have it in my hotel room as usual and when driving it's no more than 5 seconds from my hand. I'm cool with that.

As the OP, all the input was appreciated. Also we should always understand we are responsible for our actions. I've made the trip multiple times unarmed but I am always reminded of my friend who was murdered on a similar trip. He pulled off the main hwy for some unknown reason and crossed paths with a low life that is now doing life in prison. #### happens. Just weighing my options. The things you have to do as a "good guy".

Play by the rules, live happy life. That's what has always worked best for me. When I travel to California, My handgun rides anywhere in the car I choose, in a locked container, gun unloaded but loaded magazines in the same container ready to load into the gun in an emergency. This is the most practical and legal way to drive in CA with a handgun. When you are at a hotel, just bring the locked container into you room and configure your weapon however you please.

Good luck and drive safe my friend. Sorry to hear about the funeral.

I just want to point out that California does not issue non resdient CCW's. California is a may-issue state where the Sheriff has sole discretion in issuing permits and many Sheriffs, especially urban county Sheriffs are virtually "no issue."

Play by the rules, live happy life. That's what has always worked best for me. When I travel to California, My handgun rides anywhere in the car I choose, in a locked container, gun unloaded but loaded magazines in the same container ready to load into the gun in an emergency. This is the most practical and legal way to drive in CA with a handgun. When you are at a hotel, just bring the locked container into you room and configure your weapon however you please.

Good luck and drive safe my friend. Sorry to hear about the funeral.

Be aware that the Conceal Carry laws are slowly changing there from " MAY" to shall issue.
San Diego is one I believe that is a shall now might be others the information even at the state level is vague. probably intentionally.

To the OP you can do it legally. If you do it illegally and get caught somehow, you will be a felon and you will lose all your gun rights anywhere. I've travelled to California a few times in the last few years. I have always been armed and always within the laws of the state. My livelihood depends on me NOT breaking the law so I've gotten good at working within it. I have other guns but in California I bring a 1911. I'm going down in a couple of weeks to a part of the state that's not super safe these days. I wonder how many realize that "locked container" means a gun vault with a t-shirt over it on the passenger seat? I keep two loaded magazines in the box next to the unloaded pistol. If I was carrying illegally, anything can happen and to me it usually does. Ever been rear-ended? Hit a deer? Stopped for no apparent reason by some local yokel? "Hello sir I stopped you because it looked like you failed to completely stop back there at the flashing red light. Do you have any drugs or weapons in the vehicle? Do you mind if I check?" I can't say I don't feel naked without my pistol on my hip because I do. I think the heightened sense of situation awareness is a good thing for me. I avoid many places that I wouldn't have given a second thought just because of the "what if" thing bouncing around in my head. Rest stops, liquor stores, etc. I have it in my hotel room as usual and when driving it's no more than 5 seconds from my hand. I'm cool with that.

Decide to roll dirty (as in with protection). Empty pistol, locked with empty mags in tge case. A separate small locked container with ammo. Gun on Ca approved list, best I can tell. There is a lot of open road and we're driving mostly at night. Thanks for the input. It cost about $20 or so for extra stuff plus I feel it's wrong but how bad would I feel if something happened how ever small the chance.

it's like crossing the border to a different country. Just hope you don't need the gun while it's locked up in the vehicle or while you are carrying it locked up to or from said vehicle, pursuant to California penal code of course. "Penal Code" makes it sound more threatening.. like Oregon Revised Statute sounds so... emasculated. Thankfully I have no business in CA and I avoid it (I actually lived there back when it was part of this country and a free state).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top