JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious, need that taste of freedom while flipping the bird at the You are now leaving ca sign lol.

Big sticker on uhaul.... Hillary lied 4 men died. Just to piss off the libs on the 20hr trip lol.

from OFF

OregonFirearmFederation said:
Oregon has no prohibition on carrying loaded handguns in your car. But the state DOES allow localities to restrict loaded carry of firearms "in public places" which, oddly enough, includes your car.
If you are in a place like Portland or Oregon City that restricts loaded carry by people who do not have concealed handgun licenses, you may not have a loaded firearm in your vehicle. Furthermore, if it is a handgun, it must be carried openly or "not readily accessible." That means if you have a trunk it must be there. If you don't, it can be in a locked glove-box, center console or other locked container and if the container is opened by key, the key cannot be in the container.
Long guns do not have to be "not readily accessible" but if you don't have a concealed handgun license and you are in a locality that restricts loaded carry it must be unloaded.

Open carry is lawful in Washington without any permit. Open carry of a loaded handgunin a vehicle is legal only with a concealed pistol license. Open carry of a loaded long gun in a vehicle is illegal, regardless of CPL possession. State Law does not allow more restrictive local laws.

OR

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License

From the Oregon Firearms Federation:

Oregon has no State law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it's : (a) Not concealed or
(b) "Not readily accessible." (If Concealed)

"Not readily accessible" (for now) means:

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and (B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in "public places" which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL's.

So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or "not readily accessible."

Just stopped and take a dump at the sign.
Stick a Gadsden flag in it.

I wouldn't take the risk to finally get to a free state (for now) don't lose those rights for a middle finger and give them another victory.

OR

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oregon.pdf

RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License

From the Oregon Firearms Federation:

Oregon has no State law against carrying a loaded handgun in your car as long as it's : (a) Not concealed or
(b) "Not readily accessible." (If Concealed)

"Not readily accessible" (for now) means:

(4)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this subsection, a handgun is readily accessible within the meaning of this section if the handgun is within the passenger compartment of the vehicle.
(b) If a vehicle has no storage location that is outside the passenger compartment of the vehicle, a handgun is not readily accessible within the meaning of this section if:
(A) The handgun is stored in a closed and locked glove compartment, center console or other container; and (B) The key is not inserted into the lock, if the glove compartment, center console or other container unlocks with a key.

However, localities are allowed to regulate loaded firearms in "public places" which now includes your car. This only applies to people without CHL's.

So you need to check local regulations. In Portland, for example, you may not have a loaded gun anywhere in your car and you may not even have loaded magazines separate from the handgun. It must still, however, be either visible or "not readily accessible."

Here is my problem.

I carry a handgun in the storage compartment of my SUV (BMW X1). There are several storage compartments in the X1, each one under the other. It has the standard storage you get to either via laying down the rear seats or opening the tailgate. Under that is another storage compartment that you can access by lifting the floor of the standard storage compartment - this is only easily accessible by opening the rear tailgate, removing anything in the storage compartment and then lifting the floor.

Under that storage compartment is another area that I can put small things into. The battery and electronics are in that area. I put my unloaded handgun in that area.

Generally, to easily get to that handgun, I would have to stop the car, open the tailgate, lift the floor of the storage compartment, then lift the floor of the storage compartment under the main storage compartment. I certainly could not do that wile driving. Someone in the rear seat might be able to do that while the car is moving, but it would be very difficult.

Normally, like most SUVs, the rear seats are up and the main storage compartment has a cover over it, that makes it almost as difficult to access as a locked trunk - almost - a passenger could theoretically remove that cover to access that compartment, and get to the main storage. With the rear seats down the main storage is accessible to the front seats with a bit of difficulty, but not near as much as a locked trunk (see my later comment below about my previous car - a BMW coupe) then with a LOT of maneuvering a person in a front seat could theoretically get down into the storage where the handgun is stored - maybe (I've never tried it - just too much work) - no way the driver could do it, and a passenger would have to climb out of their seat and rummage around for quite a while to get to it.

My previous car was a BMW 325ci which had fold down rear seats. You could only fold them down from the trunk though, but they are split, so you could fold one down and still have a rear passenger be able to access the "locked trunk".

My point is, "separate from the passenger compartment" is a very blurred line with today's cars.

I believe a good lawyer could argue that my X1 storage area is not "readily accessible" from the passenger compartment when the rear seats are up and the cover is on it - it is very similar to a trunk in that configuration - especially if it is just me in the car as the driver, which 99% of the time it is just me. It would be harder if I had the seats down so I could haul stuff.

The best thing would be if I had a concealed carry permit, then I would be a lot more resistant to the whims of a LEO, a judge and jury.

Downside: any LEO will know I have that permit before they stop my car. If my daughter is driving my car (she sometimes borrows it), then a LEO may think that I am driving the car and that she may be armed.

Overall, this all sucks. :mad:

i just dont get why it matters if and where your gun is loaded. arent all firearms to be treated as if theyre loaded anyway??? theres some common sense gun control for ya.:D

In Oregon, if your going to/from fishing, hunting or target shooting you can have it loaded, with the exception of some municipalities.
A ccp trumps that though.
After 6 months here (not sure about Washington) it falls into a "shall issue" status, meaning that if you meet the criteria of law they can't deny you the permit.

I decided to just play it safe, and just kept going till Washington and will stay here at my sisters place in Arlington until my apartment is ready in Everette on the 7th.

I'll end up going to west coast armory north and getting some info as well as researching here as I apply for my permit and learn what I need to know and taking it

Beautiful place

I decided to just play it safe, and just kept going till Washington and will stay here at my sisters place in Arlington until my apartment is ready in Everette on the 7th.

I'll end up going to west coast armory north and getting some info as well as researching here as I apply for my permit and learn what I need to know and taking it

Beautiful place
I applied for my permit at the Everett courthouse- fast and easy! I went on a Wednesday morning, there was no line, I walked in, filed the paperwork, got printed, and was out of there in under 30 minutes. Go on a midweek morning and you should have the same experience as I did. I'm sure you've already figured this out, but we are a shall issue state, so there are no prerequisites to getting the permit. All you need is a pulse, and ID.

I applied for my permit at the Everett courthouse- fast and easy! I went on a Wednesday morning, there was no line, I walked in, filed the paperwork, got printed, and was out of there in under 30 minutes. Go on a midweek morning and you should have the same experience as I did. I'm sure you've already figured this out, but we are a shall issue state, so there are no prerequisites to getting the permit. All you need is a pulse, and ID.

Yeah, researching last night, couldn't sleep I was so excited to have that freedom again. I need to get my License first which im going to do this week, hopefully Thursday. Tomorrow I move into my Apartment so i have to just get everything in and hurry up to return the UHaul trailer and they are setting up my cable/internet at Noon tomorrow (was going to just do it myself so i don't waste money renting their modem/router but i'll just leave it as is till i have time to worry about it.

So this week is basically moving in, Drivers License, Registration and then find doctors I can start seeing. Figure my license should be to my place in a couple weeks and then going to get my Permit. My nephew is going with me since he is just trying to help and has the next 2 weeks off Boeing.

Saw the Apartment today and decided to go with the Garage parking. Covered would of been fine IF the spots weren't so tiny. Standard shortbed Ram 1500 but parking there felt like I was trying to park my old Dually! geesh. at least my car will be garaged and less chance of break-ins.

Very picky with how I organize my papers and other belongings so the week/weekend will be getting stuff organized while i measure out the size furniture to get. It was nice since it was a lot of confusion taken care of.

Actually, local municipalities cannot ignore or override state law. That is why we have state laws. Public places normally means some affiliation with government. Government buildings for instance. However, private businesses can restrict patrons from carrying concealed by a prominently posted sign at the entrance. Public, state laws. Private businesses, they have the right (with limits) to have more restrictive personal choices.

Your personal car is not a public accommodation. Example: You are not allowed to have any weapons on Prison Grounds. That is why some personnel park off the premises while working. Not legal on grounds but legal in their cars off grounds.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top