JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Drive through states that acknowledge your CCL :)

This. I am currently planning a trip to pack up and put my grandparents house on the market(gpa just died, gma is coming home with us). Myself, my father and my son are driving a truck down from Eugene to Sun City west. Since I have my CHL(oregon and utah), we are going to go oregon-->idaho-->utah-->Arizona. Going to skip commiefornia and nevada altogether because they do not acknowledge my CHLs. We figure while driving through the deserts/open places we would stop every now and then and do some plinkin'. We may have a uhaul trailer in tow on the way home so it would make sense to come home up I-5, but nope, screw commiefornia.

If he's decent company (not a non-stop blabbermouth), that sounds like an opportunity to stretch the eyeballs and see things about this country that you might not otherwise. Bring some interesting music.

The rising cost of gas will prohibit this sort of thing in the near future. You'll be able to tell your kids/grandkids how Americans used to be able to travel freely across the country in private automobiles. I'd do it while you still can!

This. I am currently planning a trip to pack up and put my grandparents house on the market(gpa just died, gma is coming home with us). Myself, my father and my son are driving a truck down from Eugene to Sun City west. Since I have my CHL(oregon and utah), we are going to go oregon-->idaho-->utah-->Arizona. Going to skip commiefornia and nevada altogether because they do not acknowledge my CHLs. We figure while driving through the deserts/open places we would stop every now and then and do some plinkin'. We may have a uhaul trailer in tow on the way home so it would make sense to come home up I-5, but nope, screw commiefornia.

Pretty similar to the trip I made in 2003. We went through Moab, then too what used to be the Devil's Highway (Route 666), now Route 491. There was a lot of stunning scenery, and when you got to desolate areas, there was always a landmark like the Shiprock on the horizon. The road eventually led to I40 at Gallup. Either way you go, if you pass through Albuquerque make sure you eat at Sadie's (New Mexican Restaurant Albuquerque | Sadie's of New Mexico) for Mexican food taken to amazing levels. The original 4th street location is just off I40 just before it crosses I25. The Roberto Special is so good that Ginny Burdick is trying to get it banned (JK about GB, but it really is amazing).

I drove from Kittery, ME to Seattle, WA one October with a wife and small child. I took 6 days to do it including a side trip to Yellowstone. All went well until I stopped for gas about twenty miles outside of Buffalo, WY one evening. On that twenty mile trip to Buffalo I counted 39 deer either in the middle of the road or alongside it. It was a long twenty miles as I had NO desire to hit a deer.

Gave my bro the ok, and I think its a straight trip back to seattle with stoppage for food, sleep, pee/crapping only. So yeah this is not going to be fun. I wish we could do some sight seeing and what not, but he has a tight schedule. He has two days to get settled in, then fly back to virginia for work.

I feel a little nervous though, after reading a couple of replys about deers, storms, NJ, Illinois, OK... Whats Wall drug?

Wall Drug is the only thing for miles around in South Dakota (walldrug.com). Its a tourist joint, the restaurant was decent when I passed through about 10 years ago.

Lots deer in Wisconsin, too. I did a short gig there as a contractor one summer, and every other day on my way to work would pass new roadkill.

On your likely way west, the plains of Eastern Montana will be the least exciting. Good luck and hope your trip is uneventful.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews