JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my bro inlaw is moving back to the pnw and he is going to drive from Virginia. His wife and kids are gonna fly back, so which leaves him solo. He asked if I could keep him company and help out with the driving, then he said: you don't have to if you don't want too(guilt trip lol). I want to help my bro out but I can't even handle a drive to Seattle lol. What to do?

Wall Drug is a tourist trap, but they have some good American history books, buffalo burgers, and enough of an odd collection of memorabilia to keep a person entertained for a few hours.

Personally at this time of year I'd recommend a few days' stay at Custer, South Dakota where you can feed the 'Begging Burros' of Custer State Park, watch buffalo walk through your RV park, explore Wind Cave (really cool, look it up), see The Needles, Rushmore and Crazy Horse...all within a few minutes drive. We did an 8,600 mile across-the-US RV trip with the kids this time two years ago and of all the places we visited, Disney Florida included, Custer and Colonial Williamsburg were the best.

Keith

Bite the bullet and take the trip. if you don't want to do it for your brother, do it for yourself. I've done coast to coast twice, and this country is AMAZING. The best part is tha tthe further yo go west, the better it gets. Plan you trip to hit all the best land marks. You will have fond memories and a sore butt for years to come.

Some places I'd try to hit along the way:
Custer, SD, Like trainsktg said. Way too amazing. Throw in the Devil's tower on your way west.
Badlands in both Dakotas.
Yellowstone - enter through the HIGH pass from Sheridan, WY.
Glacier National Park
If you take a more southern approach, west of Denver is a mountain over 14,000 feet high and you can drive to the top.
I'd follow that road west to the amazing canyons of Utah.
I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

If you listen too much to me, this trip will be about 24,000 miles long... If you do it, make it worth it.

The guy is moving not going on a tour!
Go if you can. There are times when having someone in the rig will keep you alive even if they don't drive or drive very little 2.5 hours is a nice safe nap for the main driver. I have had my son on board for a 5,000 mile trip from the southern or coast to Champagne Illinois and back, drove a blazer hauling a trailer. I took interstate 80 dead heading a trailer all the way there and loaded on the way back home with a new Harley on board. I did most of the driving and it took three days @75 mph, I got between four or six hours sleep. Been across the country Many many times.
Once with my wife and two kids in the front of a 72 Chevy 3/4 ton standard cab and a trailer I built. Headed from NYC to S. OR coast. She was six months pregnant with our third. If he wants it bad enough nothing will stop him.

It will be a life time memory for all involved weather you make it or not. Don't go if you don't want to but enjoy the most direct route if you take the trip.
Silver hand

A road trip with your brother? What's the downside? Eat bad food, drink too much Mt Dew, see some sights. It's only a chore if you want it to be.

Yeah, I've traveled it a few times as fast as I could go to get from A to B. I'm not sure why I was in such a hurry, but I do regret never slowing down for stops along the way.

I have done it the slow way four times and once on a motorcycle. I drove across I-80 before it was complete, the slow way in the pick up with my wife and kids a few times in the 1970s. Back then there was no fast way. Driving through the middle of towns after towns. Main street was the interstate when I was a kid. There was no I-95 going North, I ever saw till about 1961-1963.
I have seen most of the other routs but never Rout 10 or 2 in Canada I hope to some day do them the slow way.... You are right about speed but there is a time and a place for everything. Hauling your goods or getting back to your family would not be the best time for me to go on tour. Everybody is different that's what makes us interesting.
Silver Hand

Cody Firearms Museum in Wyoming. One of the best firearms collection in the world.
Plan on spending at least half a day. You will not be disappointed.

So my bro inlaw is moving back to the pnw and he is going to drive from Virginia. His wife and kids are gonna fly back, so which leaves him solo. He asked if I could keep him company and help out with the driving, then he said: you don't have to if you don't want too(guilt trip lol). I want to help my bro out but I can't even handle a drive to Seattle lol. What to do?

I have driven across from the East coast to the West coast. Be ready to be bored and have a sore azz. Word of advice...fly or stay home. :D

But it will be fun for the first 3 states. Enjoy!!!!!

Bite the bullet and take the trip. if you don't want to do it for your brother, do it for yourself. I've done coast to coast twice, and this country is AMAZING. The best part is tha tthe further yo go west, the better it gets. Plan you trip to hit all the best land marks. You will have fond memories and a sore butt for years to come.

Some places I'd try to hit along the way:
Custer, SD, Like trainsktg said. Way too amazing. Throw in the Devil's tower on your way west.
Badlands in both Dakotas.
Yellowstone - enter through the HIGH pass from Sheridan, WY.
Glacier National Park
If you take a more southern approach, west of Denver is a mountain over 14,000 feet high and you can drive to the top.
I'd follow that road west to the amazing canyons of Utah.
I'm sure others will chime in with suggestions.

If you listen too much to me, this trip will be about 24,000 miles long... If you do it, make it worth it.

That took you what....3 weeks? :s0112:

That took you what....3 weeks? :s0112:

It probably would, and might be one of the first things I do if I ever get to retire.

The first time I drove on a tight schedule - started at the Oregon Coast and drove to Bradenton Florida in 3 days. Day 1 picked up my then girlfriend in Twin Falls, stayed the night in Utah. Night #2 was in Shreveport, and got to Bradenton about midnight on day 3. I had a fractured leg, and the cooling system in my Jeep was failing, so had to drive with the heat full blast. Missed my GF's first grandchild's birth by a couple of hours, so after all that was still in the dog house. Believe it or not, I still enjoyed seeing all the new sights.

The way back several months later was in two parts - I had a job as a contractor in Wisconsin. Drove there in 2 days, then when the gig was over, back to Oregon in 3 more. I decided I'd never rush it again if/when I make the next trip.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews