JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I tried a couple models before I found this one - Dakota Alert MURS BS-KIT Long Range Driveway Alarm NEW | eBay

The Dakota is absolutely fantastic. Comes with multiple configurations - cover just your driveway (ideal if you have a long driveway, stairs, or road that leads up to your house), back yard, alleys, etc.

Serves a 'non-survival' purpose since it is great knowing someone is showing up before they are knocking at your door. Verbal announcements for one or multiple zones. For instance, someone coming up the road triggers "alert zone 1" three times. Even has a relay that can set off a 24v bell also.

One of the few items that are worth getting. If/when SHTF it will be sure nice to know when someone is approaching or sneaking around your property in the dark.

Thought I'd share because just about everything I buy turns out to not stand up to the hype, but these are the real deal.

This is all you need if you are covering one approach/driveway -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dakota-Aler...349?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414af4a94d

If you have animals running around that would trigger the transmitter and ONLY care about knowing when a vehicle is approaching via a driveway - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dakota-Aler...668?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3efa989ba4 Installs parallel to a driveway and senses a vehicle magnetically :0 - cool idea - no need to bury the cable.

They have lots of options; call out to walkie talkie, etc.

Thanks for the review of this. I have been looking for a perimeter early warning solution. I love the fact that this system speaks "Alert Zone 1" 1->4 zones... thus eliminating the need to interpret a warning light or what have you..... the thing flat out tells you. If it is reliable and robust this may be what I am seeking. I need to get more info on how large of an area one of those IR sensors will effectively cover. I have a large area to cover and might need more than the 4 zones this system supports. It's good to know someone has used this and that it does work as advertised. Thanks again for the review.

Looks like a good system it will have to go on the list for when I win the Lotto, LOL.

it seem like every payday I go out spend money buy stuff and my list gets longer and longer, how can that be???

There is a new use for this thing.

I have learned that it warns you of a pending power outage. It has done it three times this year and I finally did the math on it today.

About every ten seconds the receiver buzzes loudly for 3-4 seconds. This lasts for about 5-10 minutes, than the neighborhood power takes a dive.

Very odd, don't know why.

Today it warned me to stop what I was doing on my PC and shut it down, turned off DVRs, etc - and like clockwork the power went out 5-10 min after it the buzzing started - lights were gone for about twenty minutes in the neighborhood.

Those murs alert things are pretty awesome, but the price is a bit hard to swallow.

A few years ago, some of my friends started trying to reverse engineer these things, and we were largely successful, There is a chinese voice synthesizer chip you can put any message you want into, and then slave that to a IR trip alarm. The main problem we had was finding a radio that wouldn't burn up all the batteries. Might look into it again.

Also, the Baofeng UV5R and related radios can be programmed to receive the MURS signals from the alert box, and are more useful than the murs radio that comes bundled with the mursalert. Price is usually about $40 (last I checked, cheaper than the one you can buy with it). Also, since it has a dual receive function, you can monitor the MURS freq for alert tones, and use the other channel for your comms freq.

Oh yeah....

I want one of these.

If you've ever had to deal with nutria coming through and eating your garden....

It's turned my place into a zombie movie.

Fenced off, trip alarms, flooslights, guns kept nearby and ready for the nutria.
You know, zombies of the old school that move slow and come out after dark.
Not these fancy modern zombies that move fast, think, and work days and swing in addition to nights.
The undead need to unionize, slow down and just work nights.
It would be better for society as a whole, really.
I'm into it. Thanks burt, I might need to get this.

Funny! When I was a little kid my dad shot a Nutria on the river bank by our houseboat. They were raiding our ducks/eggs. 5am - blammo, right out my bedroom window with a 12 gauge. Then he sent me over to 'pick it up' and toss it out into the river. Only problem was, it wasn't completely dead and tried to take my arm off. Nasty buggers. Definitely not a pampered childhood.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top