JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an Oregon CHL because I live in WA state yet visit Seaside, OR for vacations. Yes, I know guns and alcohol do not mix, so I do not need a lecture. :) My question is better put as an example. My wife and I go downtown for a nice dinner, she and I have a single glass of wine with our dinner. Does this disqualify me from carrying my concealed pistol? Again, I am not talking about going to a bar and getting bent, simply one glass of wine with dinner.

In WA state, it is actually legal to do this, but I am wondering about Oregon. Like all of us, I certainly want to make sure I don't do something that will screw me. But I hardly want to be without protection simply because I wanted to enjoy an evening out with my wife and maybe a late night walk on the beach without having to worry about idiot punks that like to cause problems.

So are there laws against both conceal carry and open carry? Or just one, but not the other?

What say you?

If I am carrying there is no drinking... too much litigation involved if it was found out and someone other than the bad guy was injured.... Not that I am a bad shot but alcohol can change everything

I know there are people out there that can't handle their liquor and one drink is more than enough, but that was not really my question. Moreso, I was interested in laws that pertain to these activities.

A valid question. Maybe another reason why I don't drink in public at all. No beers or drinks at restaurants, even when offered for free at my wife's holiday party. I keep it straight and narrow when out and about. Even in a typical drinking atmosphere. I'm the guy sipping root beer or water. Adult beverages are only for when I'm home and in for the evening.

I'm not aware of any law that forbids carry while visiting an establishment that serves alcohol, such as a restaurant. I don't recall it being on the "can't carry at" list the Sheriff hands out, nor can I find any in the Oregon Revised Statutes. USA Carry came to the same conclusion, as does Handgun Law. However, it is best to do your own homework.

As to if one should, that is a personal call. I'd agree there is a huge difference between a single glass of merlot with dinner and getting plastered at the saloon. To each their own.

I'm not aware of any law that forbids carry while visiting an establishment that serves alcohol, such as a restaurant. I don't recall it being on the "can't carry at" list the Sheriff hands out, nor can I find any in the Oregon Revised Statutes. USA Carry came to the same conclusion, as does Handgun Law. However, it is best to do your own homework.

As to if one should, that is a personal call. I'd agree there is a huge difference between a single glass of merlot with dinner and getting plastered at the saloon. To each their own.

Thanks for the response. I am pretty sure you are safe to go into pretty much any restaurant that serves alcohol, but I know most states disallow entering into bars or liquor stores while carrying concealed. I agree with you about doing my own homework, but it's also nice sometimes to peek at your neighbor's paper if he has already done his. :) I have to call Oregon's Sheriff's office in Sherman county Monday regardless, so I suppose I will ask them about it.

I don't know of any law in Oregon or Washington that pertains to the consumption of alcohol and carrying. In Washington you cannot legally carry anywhere that is posted 21 and over. Whether alcohol is available or not, if kids are legal CCW is legal. In Oregon it is legal to carry in any establishment that serves alcohol.

I don't know of any law in Oregon or Washington that pertains to the consumption of alcohol and carrying. In Washington you cannot legally carry anywhere that is posted 21 and over. Whether alcohol is available or not, if kids are legal CCW is legal. In Oregon it is legal to carry in any establishment that serves alcohol.

Yes, it is. I learned about this years ago. But as the Apostle Paul once said, "While it may be permissible, it may not be advisable."

I'm thinking our sister states, wa. Or. And idaho need to get our "representitives" together and tell them to commit to a reciprical set of standards. Or, you will be voted out. These standards must be perfectly clear to every registered voter of any of our states. Reciprical ccl,s and reciprical rights.
Steve, in my opinion, you should't have to ask this question, but I understand why you asked.

I'm the sober one when out and about. Hot chocolate and coffee at the wife's Xmas party. I have enough problems without adding alcohol to the mix. I encourage the little lady though. The more she drinks the luckier I get. And I remember it. I can't think of too many great decisions I've made on alcohol so even if I drank I'd pass while carrying.

Im going to go with no law against it.

However you will have to prove your sobriety, should an incident occur. Should said incident go to court, I would imagine attorneys would have an absolute field day.

Edit, adding:

I conceal carry to protect my family & myself. Part of protecting my family is financial security & responsibility, so in my mind, your question would put financial security at risk (again should an incident occur & go to court). I'm just sayin'...

Last Edited:
To the best of my knowledge there is no prohibition on carrying in OR bars.

As to beach walking, about 20 yrs ago a young couple were sitting on the beach, before their fire, early one morning in Seaside. Waiting to watch the sunrise.
Two teens walked up and shot them to death! Just to see what it felt like! I never go on the beach unarmed! Haven't in decades.

To the best of my knowledge there is no prohibition on carrying in OR bars.

As to beach walking, about 20 yrs ago a young couple were sitting on the beach, before their fire, early one morning in Seaside. Waiting to watch the sunrise.
Two teens walked up and shot them to death! Just to see what it felt like! I never go on the beach unarmed! Haven't in decades.

Ugh...

I never go almost anywhere unarmed nowadays.

Airport, courthouse, post office, ranger station is about it.

Oregon has no regulation concerning alcohol and firearms. There is no prohibition on carrying firearms in places that serve alcohol. There is no law stating it is unlawful to be legally drunk while in possession of a firearm.

Notwithstanding the above, common sense tells us that alcohol and firearms do not mix. Kind of like driving. Having a beer or glass of wine with dinner is one thing. Doing shots with a beer chaser then driving or handling a firearm is just plain stupid. IMHO

Just like when you read about a car accident which is being investigated you may have read:
"Unsure whether alcohol was a factor or involved."
if I was in a shooting , I wouldn't want that phrase anywhere near me.

I understand that there is a huge difference between being drunk and having a beer with dinner.
Many folks , myself included will have a beer with dinner while out and about.
We are not impaired and can drive fine ... same I'm sure with carrying.

But in today's anti -gun world , I wouldn't risk it.
A bad report or even a hint of misdoing can cause grief for all gun owners.
Andy

Just like when you read about a car accident which is being investigated you may have read:
"Unsure whether alcohol was a factor or involved."
if I was in a shooting , I wouldn't want that phrase anywhere near me.

I understand that there is a huge difference between being drunk and having a beer with dinner.
Many folks , myself included will have a beer with dinner while out and about.
We are not impaired and can drive fine ... same I'm sure with carrying.

But in today's anti -gun world , I wouldn't risk it.
A bad report or even a hint of misdoing can cause grief for all gun owners.
Andy

Amen, Andy... AMEN!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews