JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there a specific black and white law to this? I have heard you can carry but have to be under .04 I have heard under .08 and I have heard you cant have a drink in your hand and a gun on you but as soon as your done drinking you can go to the car and get your gun.

Granted if I ever had to use a gun I wouldn't want even a beer in me due to it being used against me but i know many people here carry no matter what, so what do you do if your drinking and what does the law say?(2 part question)

I thought about this today because I rode the max downtown and though I should ride it to the bars this weekend, then realized if I ride the max to the bars, i would have to bring a gun into the bar and would have a drink with it on me and don't want to make a bad/illegal decision.

...i would have to bring a gun into the bar and would have a drink with it on me and don't want to make a bad/illegal decision.

Are you allowed to carry into bars in Oregon? Not allowed up here in Washington. Many of the bars up here are in less desirable parts of town - which is exactly where I do want to carry....

Well if this helps, I was arrested for DUII while carrying with my permit a couple years back.(stupid misstake) But I was not charged for anything related to the gun. The police did keep it to run tests, I got it back about a month later. And I did loose the CHL for 1 year.

It is legal to carry concealed into an establishment that serves alcohol in Oregon.

In Washington it is illegal only in the following condition:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

(1) It is unlawful for any person to enter the following places when he or she knowingly possesses or knowingly has under his or her control a weapon:
(d) That portion of an establishment classified by the state liquor control board as off-limits to persons under twenty-one years of age;

not sure either, I'm curios. not entirely related to the topic but before I got my chl, about a 6-8mos ago I was pulled over two different times with multiple guns each time, ar15's, ak47, pistols, couple long rifles, and was carrying about 1/2oz medical and didn't have any problems. They ran the check on the guns, gave my friend a speeding ticket and told me 'dont forget your weed man' and sent us off.

not sure either, I'm curios. not entirely related to the topic but before I got my chl, about a 6-8mos ago I was pulled over two different times with multiple guns each time, ar15's, ak47, pistols, couple long rifles, and was carrying about 1/2oz medical and didn't have any problems. They ran the check on the guns, gave my friend a speeding ticket and told me 'dont forget your weed man' and sent us off.

So..................you carry concealed while you are using drugs? Am I reading this correctly?

I keep re-reading this and looking at the title of the thread........

So..................you carry concealed while you are using drugs? Am I reading this correctly?

I keep re-reading this and looking at the title of the thread........

From your profile:
About coctailer
Biography:
"Same as everyone else in here. I like brews and guns!!!"
-It's arguable that brew and guns are more of a lethal combo, just from reading this line it seems like you could be drinking the same day you've went shooting too, lets not be too critical

using drugs? absolutely not... The reason I felt it was related to the topic because alcohol is legal as well as medical mary was for me at the time

when you are undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment for lymphoma (non-Hodgkin's) you get an ommp card. When you are legaly using a prescription on your way out to the desert, it's completely legal. If I were smoking a joint and shooting a gun at the same time I would think that would be illegal but maybe not. regardless I don't have my card anymore as I have been in remission and put my weight back on but at the time it was neat to see the officer's reactions. After a while they just wanted to bs about p-mags and what scopes were the best for entry.
I wasn't going to stop enjoying the things I loved to do when I wasn't sure if I was going to be around much longer... think what you want bud, but when/if your ever ****ting your guts out, throwing up all day, can't hold food for longer than an hour, your hair falls out and your weight drops to the point you look like an ethopian you will understand a little better.

Sorry if I'm coming off a little brash about this but I get offended when people categorize certain substances into 'ok' and 'not okay' when they are all dangerous to have around firearms. Being that I don't have anything to hide I feel I can talk about this past experience openly

From your profile:
About coctailer
Biography:
"Same as everyone else in here. I like brews and guns!!!"
-It's arguable that brew and guns are more of a lethal combo, just from reading this line it seems like you could be drinking the same day you've went shooting too, lets not be too critical

using drugs? absolutely not... The reason I felt it was related to the topic because alcohol is legal as well as medical mary was for me at the time

when you are undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatment for lymphoma (non-Hodgkin's) you get an ommp card. When you are legaly using a prescription on your way out to the desert, it's completely legal. If I were smoking a joint and shooting a gun at the same time I would think that would be illegal but maybe not. regardless I don't have my card anymore as I have been in remission and put my weight back on but at the time it was neat to see the officer's reactions. After a while they just wanted to bs about p-mags and what scopes were the best for entry.
I wasn't going to stop enjoying the things I loved to do when I wasn't sure if I was going to be around much longer... think what you want bud, but when/if your ever ****ting your guts out, throwing up all day, can't hold food for longer than an hour, your hair falls out and your weight drops to the point you look like an ethopian you will understand a little better.

Er...........the topic of the thread has to do with USING ALCOHOL and carrying guns.

I don't understand the connection. Yes medical weed is legal. Yes guns are legal.

You may want to start a thread about your battle with cancer.

You may want to start a thread about your battle with cancer.

whatever, that's a low blow man. I was just telling you about it in defense to the comment you made. I'm not proud of what I've been through. I haven't even applied for help that I know I could get because I'll have to talk about it all the time

back to the topic of alcohol. I know for sure I wouldn't want to carry a firearm while I was intoxicated because I would think that if it were used even in self defense that you would be doing some jail time. There is no way you can exercise good judgement if your tipsy. Otherwise they would let cops have a drink at lunch and they dont.

I don't understand the connection. Yes medical weed is legal. Yes guns are legal.

connection= alcohol:legal intoxicant / medical:legal intoxicant *combined with firearms. have had experience w/ legality of firearms and intoxicants...

agree to disagree I guess. I don't want to debate this either

Medical weed is not legal first off. Second- there are still many national firearm laws, and in their eyes weed is 100% illegal, even though it's not illegal to Oregon (but still not legal regardless).

My $0.02. I'll carry in bars, I'll carry if I leave my house after having a beer. I personally feel Alcohol is worse than Weed. Oregon has no law against drinking and carrying that I'm aware of. Now I'm sure if you choose this path- there are many other things you can get hit with.

Otherwise they would let cops have a drink at lunch and they dont.
connection= alcohol:legal intoxicant / medical:legal intoxicant *combined with firearms. have had experience w/ legality of firearms and intoxicants...
agree to disagree I guess. I don't want to debate this either

Not drinking on lunch would have as much to do with general company policies. Every job I've had, had a no drinking policy. I still vote against it, if at all possible.

Not drinking on lunch would have as much to do with general company policies. Every job I've had, had a no drinking policy. I still vote against it, if at all possible.

edit: So you dont think their is an actual law against officers drinking on the job? that's scary to think. I would have assumed there was a law, but haven't researched it

Medical weed is not legal first off.

you mean federaly? because state law says it is.

Well if this helps, I was arrested for DUII while carrying with my permit a couple years back.(stupid misstake) But I was not charged for anything related to the gun. The police did keep it to run tests, I got it back about a month later. And I did loose the CHL for 1 year.

Did they tell you why you lost your CHL for a year? is that standard when you get a duii? I'm curious about what happened here.

As mentioned above there is no laws on drinking and carrying from what I have researched. But I just can't see an officer being okay with a drunk deer hunting party or a stumbling drunk walking down the street legaly open carrying or something like that. I haven't found any articles related to this topic at all

I don't know if there is one... I was asking. I just assume there is. Surely there has to be a law about an officer not being allowed to be completely drunk right?

That was a slam on Krawl, not a question.

The OP asked about alcohol and CHL, not drunk cops on duty, or whether weed was legal or not.

How 'bout getting this thread back on topic before it's completely useless.

Myself, a beer with lunch would be fine for someone with a CHL....nothing wrong with that. BUT.....going out to have a "few" and carrying? Probably not the smartest thing to do.

YMMV

I know when I was an LEO, we were forbidden to drink while "in uniform"...not just while on duty.

As for drinking and carrying a firearm, my opinion is that even the dumbest person can understand that drugs and firearms do not mix any better than drugs and driving.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top