JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Chrysler Autoworkers Caught on Camera Drinking Beer, Smoking Pot During Break

FOXNews.com - Chrysler Autoworkers Caught on Camera Drinking Beer, Smoking Pot During Break

While taxpayers are footing the bill to keep America's auto industry off life support, an undercover investigation shows illegal activities by Chrysler employees who have enjoyed nearly $15 billion in government money.

Dozens of autoworkers in Detroit were caught on camera drinking beer and smoking marijuana before heading to work at the Chrysler plant that President Obama praised in a speech just two months ago.

An exclusive investigation by MyFoxDetroit showed workers at Chrysler's Jefferson North Assembly Plant in Detroit, Mich., drinking beer and smoking joints while on a half-hour lunch break at a nearby park.

The investigation -- conducted over several weeks and based on tips from workers at the plant -- outraged the auto giant's top executives who reportedly called the behavior "totally unacceptable."

Obama spoke July 30 at the plant, where he lauded the American worker, saying, "It's workers like you that built this country into the greatest economic power the world has ever known."

"I want all of you to know, I will bet on the American worker any day of the week." he told the crowd.

"I wish they could see what I'm seeing in this plant and talk to the workers who are here, taking pride in building a world-class vehicle," Obama said, referring to opponents of the multibillion-dollar government auto bailout. "I don't think they'd be willing to look you in the eye and say that you were a bad investment."

Chrysler took $14.3 billion in government bailout money, which includes pre-bankruptcy loans. The company has repaid $3.7 billion.

The plant -- taking up more than 3 million square feet of factory -- employs 2,833 union auto workers. The station's report did not say how many workers were involved in the incident.

Scott Garberding, senior vice president of manufacturing, told MyFoxDetroit that he was "very disturbed" by what he saw in the video.

"I want to make it clear that we at Chrysler take this very seriously," he said in an interview with the station. "For us, this behavior is totally unacceptable and will be dealt with swiftly."

Chrysler Autoworkers Caught on Camera Drinking Beer, Smoking Pot During Break

Scott Garberding, senior vice president of manufacturing, told MyFoxDetroit that he was "very disturbed" by what he saw in the video.

"I want to make it clear that we at Chrysler take this very seriously," he said in an interview with the station. "For us, this behavior is totally unacceptable and will be dealt with swiftly."

The very reason not to buy a Chrysler and might be reason for the quality of late.

:s0131:Just you watch the commie union will get them there jobs back and as far as O-Bum-Ma goes he dosen't need any help slamming him self. Does good job on his own. And for me it has been Ford for years.

In my twenties I once worked on a carpentry crew of older good ol' boys. Every afternoon they would have a 2:15 beer break. I just couldn't do it and begged for a daily soda instead. Not one of those guys had all of their fingers. I'm 60 and still have all of mine, thanks to Obama!...........................elsullo :s0114:

The very reason not to buy a Chrysler and might be reason for the quality of late.

I owned one back in the 1970s that had rear end knocks that no mechanic could figure out and the engine died every time you turned left (faulty wiring in the dash as it turned out since all the wiring in the dash eventually shorted out and burned up). I took my older brother for a trip in it once and forever after he was of the opinion that a heroin junkie must have put the thing together. Guess he wasn't too far off the mark. I sold it and never even looked at another Chrysler product over the next 30 years.

Over twenty-eight hundred plus workers, and "dozens" of them were found to drink beer or smoke dope off the property on their lunch hour. How many dozens? Two? They don't say. Somehow I am underwhelmed by the problem. I would be pretty sure that there are pre-employment drug tests, so why not start random tests too, since their product has a public safety issue? The "commie union" would have a hard time arguing against that. Typically, unions don't even try to fight drug test failure terminations. That would easily end the problem. I don't see any reason to slam the entire product line or the other twenty-eight hundred workers.

Oh, yes, AFTER Obama spoke at that plant praising their pride and work ethic, some of the workers were motivated to "snitch" on their substance abusing coworkers. THEN the TV station did its "investigation." So we can thank Obama for inspiring American worker pride and better work habits!...............................elsullo :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top