JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some drills are easy to setup and some can't be done in certain ranges (start facing up range...good luck unless you are at a proper safe place)

What drills do you like ?

Preference to share simple to setup / minimal equipment required.
- do you need one target or many?
- do you need a timer ?

ref: Personal Qualification ? Bane Drill

From Mas @ Backwoods Home

SPANNING THE CENTURIES
I just heard about a shooting drill created by the legendary Larry Vickers, called the Vickers 300. You take an NRA B-8 target, the black bulls-eye they use for 25 yard Timed and Rapid Fire at the NRA National Pistol Championships. In this drill, you shoot ten rounds weak hand only from five yards, ten strong hand only from ten yards, and the last ten free style at 20 paces. I didn't know if "free-style" meant prone or whatever, so I ran it from two-handed standing. Cleaned it with a 100/100 at five paces left-handed, dropped one out of the ten ring all the way out into the eight-point ring right-handed at ten yards, and wobbled four nine-point hits from the 20 yard line for a total of 294 out of 300 possible points, or 98%.

"Free-style" tends to mean your choice of hands, or, as most use - both.
That is a lot of shooting, I am sure you get the idea with what a revolver will hold - 5-6.
Add a timer for some excitement.

dia%2Fcatalog%2Fproduct%2Fcache%2F1%2Fimage%2F9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95%2Fn%2Fr%2Fnra_b_8.png

I hate drills... absolutely HATE them. I've done my share but I think I'd really rather do yardwork cuz that's more interesting. Or maybe practice my cursive writing so I can get those flourishes just right!! o_O

1-10 Drill
Target- Torso or 6" Circle
Distance- 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards
Ammo- 100+ Rounds
Position - Standing – Pistol in Holster
Time – Start 5 sec for all rounds – Aim for 3 sec

Drill – Fire 1 round in 5 seconds. Then 2 rounds in 5 seconds, then 3 and so on up to 10 rounds. Always start from the holster, always return to the holster.

Purpose – Learn to shoot multiple rounds with accuracy and speed while controlling Muzzle Rise, Recoil, and having Trigger Control. Hit the same spot shot after shot.

Speed is Fine – Accuracy is Final

Target- 4" & 6" circle
Distance- 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 yards
Ammo- 20 rounds
Position- Standing

Start drills at 3 yards. Move back to 5, 7, 10 & 15 yards as accuracy/skill improves.
Any flinch movement results in the shooter doing 5 dry fire trigger pulls, or until smooth.

Drills 1-4 use a 4" circle and start at the 3-yard line. Drills 5-8 use a 6" circle, and start at the 5 yard line. All shots must be within the circle with every drill at every distance.

1 – 5 shot one-hole drill – Live fire.
2 – Case on top of slide/front sight – 15 smooth trigger pulls – Dry Fire.
3 – Same as above (#2), add ball & dummy drill. 5 live rounds within 10-15 trigger pulls.
4 - Ball & Dummy – 5 live rounds within 10-15 trigger pulls.
5 – Pistol on target, aimed in, finger on trigger ready to fire.
Ball & Dummy – 5 live rds. within 10-15 trigger pulls.
Each shot must be fired within the beep duration – .3 sec. or less at all distances.

Low Ready – Muzzle position relative to target.

6 – Pistol at low ready, finger indexed, and safety on.
Timer set 3 sec., shot must be fired within allotted time.
Target time .5 sec., with target time of 1.25-1.5 sec. at 15 yards.

7 – Draw from the holster.
Timer set 4 sec., shot must be fired within allotted time.
Target time 1.5 sec., with target time of 2.25-2.5 sec. at 15 yards.

I just ran the "Recon drill" per garand thumb on Sunday. This is my buddy. We both got right at 30s on our 3rd try.

We also played aroubd with his "Collateral" drill.

2 targets 7 yards apart. You stand 2 yards in front of the center of the target. From holster, 2 in the chest, 2 in the chest, 1 in the Tbox, all under 2 sec. This was really really hard. Best we could get was 3s.

Any drill that provides crossing transitions to simulate multiple attackers that have some horizontal spacing between them. Here is one example:

4×20 Transition Drill
designed by Scott Warren

Range: 10yd
Target: four steel chest plates (or similar)
Start position: holstered
Rounds fired: 20

This drill is best run with four steel plates, but you can also use paper plates, sheets of paper, etc. Targets are placed at least two feet apart edge to edge at a range of ten yards. You will need a shot timer.

On the buzzer, draw and engage one shot per target back and forth for 20 rounds. Note that you do not "double" the targets on the end, you shoot them once and then reverse direction. So the sequence is: T1-T2-T3-T4-T3-T2-T1-T2, etc. (Edit: it's better practice to place targets spaced deeper into the bay, ie some close then going farther back... sequence is side to side, left right left right left right left right, working from nearest to farthest targets in tactical order).There are no makeup shots. If you miss a shot, it's a miss … move on to the next target.

The goal is to get all twenty hits in under 10 seconds.

Last Edited:
Sunday, I was shooting one string left dominant - as I typically do. The Match Director was with our squad and asked. 'Cause when else would I. He said it was unlikely I'd shoot off hand+ support in a defensive situation. Until my dominant had was shot off, I'd use that, which would leave me one handed.

So, I have been thinking about that ... perchance to shoot only one handed at Steel matches for a few months.

Then today I see this:

TAMARA KEEL: Single-Handed Shooting: Why Practice It? "As it happens, I'm typing this month's column with a wireless keyboard in my lap. Because it's hard to reach the usual keyboard tray on my desk with one arm in a sling. Yeah, I broke my collarbone, which means I'm getting a couple unanticipated months to work on my one-handed pistol-manipulation drills."
View From The Porch

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads