JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like others have said, take some self defense based courses.
But for the answer I think you're looking for...
Dry fire, dry fire, dry fire.
Draw, draw, draw
Practice FTF/FTE/ etc etc (malfunction) drills at home with snap caps.
Practice manipulations 1 handed (strong and weak side)
Practice changing mags efficiently

dont focus TOO much on your "marksmanship". This is not to say you shouldn't practice being accurate and efficient with your weapon. What I mean is, when you use the word "marksmanship" we translate that to "taking your time to get tight groups and hit a 6" steel target at 75 yards".

that is not self defense. It's good for being able to make shots on target which is a plus, but accuracy doesn't dictate if you're ready to defend yourself.

If (God forbid) you find yourself in a situation in which you need to use your weapon to save you or your families life, accuracy and plinking steel goes out the window real fast. Making and executing split second decisions is what you need to try and train your brain around. Also don't forget the legal side of it. Knowing when to shoot. Knowing when to hide/run/leave a situation without putting yourself in front of a jury.

Shooting and reloading on a range (or at home) in a controlled environment is a lot different than shooting and reloading while your nervous system is full of enough adrenaline to flip over an f350.

My biggest piece of info is train hard every day. Take classes from vetted instructors to get your baseline. Use the information you learn in these classes and apply it at home in your daily regiment.

I dry fire at least 100x a day. I practice ready-up drills at least 50x a day. I draw my ccw pistol from my holster at least 50x a day.
And I still don't feel like Rambo. And I've been carrying 24/7/365 for 10 years.

Carrying a gun is a risk and a responsibility. Both to yourself and to the community.
I don't carry my gun to "exercise my rights as some others do. I carry my gun to ensure myself, my family, and my fellow community members will make it home safe in the event of a threat.

My advice to you is to get some training and apply that training to your daily at-home training.

Carrying a gun and being able to shoot that gun accurately does not make you James Bond, contrary to what a lot of other people believe. (The extremely overweight guy in front of me today in line at the salmon creek Albertsons carrying a 1911 hammer down in the small of his back tucked between his beltline and his sweaty back...no holster... I want to be far away from that guy if sh*t gets real. But I bet he's super comfortable in his situation. Probably more comfortable than I am despite my years of training)

get some education. Take some defensive classes. Learn some key strategies. Build a baseline on what to train off of. And then in your spare time. APPLY IT!

Rant over. Sorry

One caveat to all these drills and dry fire sessions, without instructional training what exactly are you doing and are why are you doing it? It is easy to develop training scares that suck, so beware of that. It much better to get competent instruction, be able to get feedback, and then apply that to your practice sessions.

Have already posted threads here looking for recommendations on belts. I think I've found the holster and position that works best for me in most situations. What I fear the most is legal repercussion after the fact. I don't want to spend the rest of my life financially recovering from a decision to protect my life. I'm "only" 26 and have a long life to live I hope.

I've been advised to save copies of every training and cert that you do in case you ever do wind up in court and need to prove you knew what you were doing and had the wherewithal and skill to do it. Also: USCCA.

Those who think it is better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6 have never sat in the defendant chair getting stared down by a jury of people you have never met, and don't know anything about.

At some point, if you don't introduce both physical and psychological stress to your training / drills etc., it's difficult to validate what you're doing

On another note...I offer a Concealed Carry with an Attorney. https://cerberus-training.com/collections/concealed-carry

I have a local attorney who has both defended and prosecuted shooting cases. You'll have access to him for 6 hours to answer all your legal questions. He will also participate in the shooting instruction portion of the class and go over how the class and drills are court defensible.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top