JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I go to the range fairly regularly and have been working on my marksmanship. I have never had any formal training or classes other than the CCW class. My marksmanship is pretty good when I'm relaxed but I want to be better prepared. Is there a website or class you have taken that you thought was a must? I watch active self protection on YouTube and have seen many scenarios that are just plain strange. I worry that when my life or someone's life depends on my skills, that I won't be able to perform and all this time and money I've spent on self protection will be for nothing.

I will add that I don't think a beginners class would be fitting for me. I've stripped all my guns and know how to operate them. I know safe operations of firearms. I've had no history of firearms other than what I've learned myself. I try to practice drawing from the holster at home and practice dry firing. I'm relatively young and would like any wisdom you may have

I will add that I don't think a beginners class would be fitting for me. I've stripped all my guns and know how to operate them. I know safe operations of firearms. I've had no history of firearms other than what I've learned myself. I try to practice drawing from the holster at home and practice dry firing. I'm relatively young and would like any wisdom you may have

Take a two day "Run the Gun" class from @Cerberus Group
https://cerberus-training.com/collections/run-the-rifle-1

No ammo required:

1) Dry fire
2) From concealment, draw and present and dry fire

Ammo required:

1) Draw from concealment and put first round on target
2) 5x5 drill, 5 shots in a 5 inch circle, 5 seconds, 5 yards. You can do this from low ready until you get decent and then do it from concealment.

Go get some. And BTW that CCW class wasn't "training" is was jumping through hoops to get a piece of paper. Doobtube, books or online forums are a poor substitute for actual training.
Oh I know. To be honest I didn't learn jack from it. Paid $50 to get a piece of paper with a stamp. I don't watch YouTube and believe I'm actually learning anything but watch it to familiarize myself with red flags and what to be on the look out for (2 guys on a bike in Brazil, etc).

No matter what skills , 'Drills" , etc...one practices , you also need the willingness to use your skill when it matters.
This willingness cannot be taught or even learned , so to speak...it must be understood and cultivated.
How one does this , is highly individual ...as everyone will think and process things differently.

Speaking from experience here ..Shooting when it matters is different for everyone...and your perspective / thoughts about it , may change over time.
In any event...If you have to shoot , shoot well and with no regrets.

Also something to consider , and often over looked , is situational awareness...again this can't be bought...but it can be practiced and improved on.

I would suggest that you invest in a good sturdy gun belt and holster...this will take both time and money to see what works for your situation.
Andy

No matter what skills , 'Drills" , etc...one practices , you also need the willingness to use your skill when it matters.
This willingness cannot be taught or even learned , so to speak...it must be understood and cultivated.
How one does this , is highly individual ...as everyone will think and process things differently.

Speaking from experience here ..Shooting when it matters is different for everyone...and your perspective / thoughts about it , may change over time.
In any event...If you have to shoot , shoot well and with no regrets.

Also something to consider is and often over looked is situational awareness...again this can't be bought...but it can be practiced and improved on.

I would suggest that you invest in a good sturdy gun belt and holster...this will take both time and money to see what works for your situation.
Andy
Have already posted threads here looking for recommendations on belts. I think I've found the holster and position that works best for me in most situations. What I fear the most is legal repercussion after the fact. I don't want to spend the rest of my life financially recovering from a decision to protect my life. I'm "only" 26 and have a long life to live I hope.

Have already posted threads here looking for recommendations on belts. I think I've found the holster and position that works best for me in most situations. What I fear the most is legal repercussion after the fact. I don't want to spend the rest of my life financially recovering from a decision to protect my life. I'm "only" 26 and have a long life to live I hope.

One can "What if " oneself to death.
When it comes time to defend oneself , I would suggest that one only think about that.

Do everything you can to avoid having to shoot...then if you have no other choice....
Shoot well and with no regrets.

Financial concerns and legal repercussions , "bad press" , etc....yep , may well happen.
All of life is a risk of some sort....and every choice has a consequence.
You will at least be alive to state your case...the alternative is death or harm to yourself.
Andy

Always be doing mental exercises so that mindset might be ingrained, ie don't be in condition white, you know what you'll do in a given situation because you've already prepared for it..

And shoot a bunch

What I fear the most is legal repercussion after the fact. I don't want to spend the rest of my life financially recovering from a decision to protect my life
The legal aspect is equally important as the physical training aspect. Buy this book: https://lawofselfdefense.com/product/law-of-self-defense-principles-softcover/

as far as training, you can read and watch stuff online from professional trainers and pick up stuff but it will never be a replacement for taking at least a 1 day defensive handgun class. There are several local classes available if you look them up... https://mktactical.com/our-classes/

Drills to practice on your own time will help when you take your class...

While I'm sure it has been on the rise this past year, it is still, statically speaking, very rare one would need to use a firearm for self-defense and even more rare to actually fire it. So don't worry about something that is likely to never happen and if it does, it is out of your control.

That said, like anything else you want to be successful doing, educate yourself on the subject. What to do in the event it does happen, go talk to a criminal attorney who specializes in self-defense shootings, many have free consultations, if not drop a couple bills. If you're really worried about it consider putting down a retainer. There's also insurance you can purchase to help with legal cost.

In the meantime, here is free advice…if you shoot someone in self-defense know the police are NOT your friends, do as they command immediately and do not disrespect them in any way, but most important of all…STFU.

I go to the range fairly regularly and have been working on my marksmanship. I have never had any formal training or classes other than the CCW class. My marksmanship is pretty good when I'm relaxed but I want to be better prepared. Is there a website or class you have taken that you thought was a must? I watch active self protection on YouTube and have seen many scenarios that are just plain strange. I worry that when my life or someone's life depends on my skills, that I won't be able to perform and all this time and money I've spent on self protection will be for nothing.
Dry fire daily with a laser system like this.

That is for the 9mm.

Get this to hold yer phone.

The app is free and should be good with most targets. The free app is only good for 10 rounds. That's good enough. Do ten virtual 'mags' every day to develop the important draw and first round hit accuracy.

I would draw for every shot. The point is to develop muscle memory. In three weeks go to the range and you will be amazed at what a difference those 2000 rounds 'under the belt' will make. Laser training is far more valuable than just drawing and dry firing without accuracy feedback. Without shipping its about $105.00 for the system.
Be sure and get the Gen 3. Enjoy!

Last Edited:
While I'm sure it has been on the rise this past year, it is still, statically speaking, very rare one would need to use a firearm for self-defense and even more rare to actually fire it. So don't worry about something that is likely to never happen and if it does, it is out of your control.

That said, like anything else you want to be successful doing, educate yourself on the subject. What to do in the event it does happen, go talk to a criminal attorney who specializes in self-defense shootings, many have free consultations, if not drop a couple bills. If you're really worried about it consider putting down a retainer. There's also insurance you can purchase to help with legal cost.

In the meantime, here is free advice…if you shoot someone in self-defense know the police are NOT your friends, do as they command immediately and do not disrespect them in any way, but most important of all…STFU.

Best video on youtube regarding the subject.

An oft repeated mantra addressing this concern is: "It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six".

After muscle memory is trained through repetition, the bulk of training is mental. Situational awareness is key. However, keep in mind; "Paranoia will destroy ya".

Know these three things too.

Everything that is recorded before during and after will be used against you.

You will need a lawyer. Best to have that set up before hand. In other words now. Insurance for CCW folks is out there and they have lawyers for you. You need your own too.

Aim well. Dead perps stop trying to kill you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top