JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Grizzly has a nice selection of drill/mills. Best of both worlds. It's on my bucket list.
I find combination tools like that aren't really the best of both so much as a compromise . While certainly a better mill than a drill press would be, it will be somewhat clumsy and with limited capacity/reach for a drill press. Still, if you have limited space and budget and only work on small things they might do the trick.

As important as the drill press selection, is what it has for a chuck. You cannot discount the importance of a good chuck. Whatever press you choose, if you intend smaller projects, having a chuck that will grip a 1/32" drill bit or preferably smaller is important to know. but one 1/16th or even 1/8" if you are chucking up 1/2 or 5/8 inch stuff for best grip. Like the cylinder on a revolver, it should be tight, but you should be able to turn it easily by hand. Having to use the key to get it to the size you want will cause you no end of grief.
If both sizes are expected, Having the shank be a "Jacobs taper" will allow a more variety and access to a reasonably priced second chuck so you can cover both needs with one drill press by having a second larger, or smaller, chuck. It would likely be "33 Jacobs taper" but some foreign units may be proprietary and I'd stay away. units with "Morris" tapers are usually more industrial and will usually cost more and maybe less choice for additional chucks.
A good depth stop is helpful, but difficult to find on an economy unit so you learn to figure things out like lowering the table so the tool will only reach the spot you want.
Having a floor model will not just give you more height but usually with a table that will pivot 180 degrees.
(not always the case) A pivoting table is good and also gives you more options for correcting the table should it be out of plumb or square with the spindle.
One last reason for the floor model is you can use it for light duty pressing of pins, bearings etc. since there is more space under the chuck to fixture things up. Be sure to check table alignment after you use it for a press.

I find combination tools like that aren't really the best of both so much as a compromise . While certainly a better mill than a drill press would be, it will be somewhat clumsy and with limited capacity/reach for a drill press. Still, if you have limited space and budget and only work on small things they might do the trick.
Well thus the dilemma. Such things are created for those who don't have the room or the budget for individual units. Define your needs and you will find your answer to what equipment you require.

Plus 1 for that thought! I have a little experience with Shop Smith. Luckily I inherited mine with most the accoutrements when I was a young man, had little space and even less patients.. I tried really hard to embrace the concept. Well built yes but for me, I always thought they were designed for testing ones patients over results .And they still take up a reasonable amount of space.
Rare is the project that only uses one function. Often, more time is spent setting up and adjusting than the project takes.
I'd advise a good set of hand tools, a worm drive framing saw, 1/2" electric hand drill before a shop smith.
Say your all jigged up to drill fifty to a hundred holes in a nice piece of wood to hold your brass for loading, and some how you bugger up the blank or you drop it on the floor and it splits. A depression will come over you as you realize you might as well start over tomorrow by the time you set the saw back up to make a new blank then return it to drill press set up and realign the jig.
The only multi tool I find marginally useful is in a leather holder on my hip or gun bag, Even this applies when @owner said, its still a compromise tool.

Thorborgs points on the chuck are well taken. However I would disagree on the Jacobs taper vs Morse taper. A Morse taper will allow easy change of chucks, taper shank drills and other accessories. Taper shanks for Jacobs 33, Jacobs 6 are readily available to fit chucks made for that which I find preferable to a dedicated Jacobs taper spindle nose. #2 Morse taper spindles are common even in Harbor Freight drill presses (which aren't too bad btw aside from a crummy on-off switch)
Grizzly sells a keyless chuck that's also pretty good. Mine are probably 25 year old but it looks like they still sell it, price being higher now of course. A good keyless chuck (there are bad ones) saves a lot of time if doing anything that requires tool changes. My "miscellaneous use" drill press wears one all the time.

Plus 1 for that thought! I have a little experience with Shop Smith. Luckily I inherited mine with most the accoutrements when I was a young man, had little space and even less patients.. I tried really hard to embrace the concept. Well built yes but for me, I always thought they were designed for testing ones patients over results .And they still take up a reasonable amount of space.
Rare is the project that only uses one function. Often, more time is spent setting up and adjusting than the project takes.
I'd advise a good set of hand tools, a worm drive framing saw, 1/2" electric hand drill before a shop smith.
Say your all jigged up to drill fifty to a hundred holes in a nice piece of wood to hold your brass for loading, and some how you bugger up the blank or you drop it on the floor and it splits. A depression will come over you as you realize you might as well start over tomorrow by the time you set the saw back up to make a new blank then return it to drill press set up and realign the jig.
The only multi tool I find marginally useful is in a leather holder on my hip or gun bag, Even this applies when @owner said, its still a compromise tool.

I had a friend with a ShopSmith... I think he was an engineer type, had all his drawers labeled, his pegboard outlined, his light switches labeled... I think he enjoyed tedium!!!

Sawzall ------ bestest and most used hand tool I own!!! Second would be the bench vise.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top