JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Believe it or not, for one reason or another, I've never been hunting before. This was the year I was finally going to do it, so two of my buddies told me how to put in for my tags (in a party, I guess?). Today I received a postcard telling me I was successful for buck deer in 157 and elk in 257X. One of the reasons I wanted to get into hunting was to make sure the hunting rifles I inherited from my grandfather continued filling their intended role, them being a Ruger M77 in .243 and a Weatherby MKV in .300 Weatherby Magnum. Though I'm going with hunters experienced with the unit, any tips about it or hunting in general would be greatly appreciated by this hunting n00b :s0155:

I would use the experienced hunters as resources. Try to go with them when they're scouting ahead of time. Hang around them and learn. There's certain things to look for and being familiar with an area is very helpful.

Make sure your rifle is sighted in. Make sure you have or can borrow some essential gear (binoculars, knife for gutting, etc.). Asking for advice on equipment from others in the party would be a good idea. Dress for the weather. Not sure what regions you drew but some can get cold that time of time of year.

Learn and have fun!

Sled Springs, I'll be there for both hunts myself! Make sure you have nice binocs , it makes a massive difference. Its a pretty area, bring good boots cause you'll be walking alot.

It's kind of easy to skip over them, but there are some good stickies on the top of the hunting forum that contain a lot of great advice.

All I can add is practice shooting from all kinds of positions - anyone can shoot well off a bench, but that doesn't count in the field. Carry your weapon as much as possible so you know the feel, and if possible and safe (making sure your weapon is unloaded!!!), mock fire at objects as you walk through your yard. You want the rifle to come up and be in position without thinking a bit about the process. Finally, if possible, do this with the clothes you'll be wearing while hunting. No use getting muscle memory built in and then putting on a heavy coat that changes your dimensions. You may want to wait until the heat wave is over to do this. :s0114:

Congrats Joe!
1st off, shoot those rifles enough to get confident with them. That includes your first shot from a cold bore.
I suggest you not take a freshly cleaned rifle out. Put a couple of "fouling rounds" through them before you take them out on the hunt(s).

About the hunting itself,...
If you have scouted the area(s) and know your quarry is using them, pick a spot you can get to in the dark that has a good view, and offers a place to sit where you are not silhouetted against the sky. With the wind in your face if possible.

Then get there before first light to watch and listen, with binocs if possible. You are looking for motion first, and probably won't see it if you are moving.
Motion is what gives you, and the animal away (in most cases.)

When it's time to move, move slowly, and very short distances at a time. A matter of a few feet can change your whole perspective of a draw or swale, or hillside.
IMHO, most hunters move way too fast, and don't look carefully around as they are moving, until they hear a buck or bull crashing through the brush away from them.

Keep in mind that you are in their domain. Chances are they have been using many features of it to evade people like you for their entire life. And they know it like the back of their hoof. :D

And best of luck on your first hunt.
It can be addicting, and if you're like me, the experience is tremendously rewarding, even if you don't get your hands bloody!

A Primos trigger bi-pod shooting stick has proven invaluable for me the last few years. Every year it gets a little harder to free hand a shot. With a range finder that tells me the game is 400 yds ( and knowing my ballistics that I have a 20 inch drop) , shooting sticks have helped my success greatly.

Good luck Joe.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top