JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It is hard to find a decent pair of range finding binoculars. I like to have good glass, whether it is spotting scope, binos, or rifle scope. And I am starting to see the need more and more for a range finder. I want a good set of range finding binos, and all I can find is Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss. Can you say Cah, cha, and ching? I do not mind spending a grand or maybe $1500, but these are all over 2 grand and the top two are right at 3 grand. Ouch.

Is there any other top quality range finding bino out there?

Depends what you're looking for... Do you want a laser range finder? those are not terribly expensive. If you want something optical, it's going to be either expensive, or huge. Generally "range finding binoculars" either integrate a laser rangefinder, or have a set of cross hairs for angular measurement.

Depends what you're looking for... Do you want a laser range finder? those are not terribly expensive. If you want something optical, it's going to be either expensive, or huge. Generally "range finding binoculars" either integrate a laser rangefinder, or have a set of cross hairs for angular measurement.

I am confused. What I want is a pair of good quality binoculars, 8 or 10 power, with a rangefinder built in. I do not want two devices.

Problem is, when you put the word "quality" in there, those are the kind of prices you get. Basically, the cost of each unit separately plus the cost to design and manufacture them into one unit. Once they get popular and can sell enough to be made in quantity, then the price goes down a bit.

And then the chinese see the market and start making it damn cheap.

Yeah, I "dream" of them, too.
Shooting Times had a comparison article of the three mentioned by the Op last month. Nice items, but WOW, are they expensive! I could almost be talked into a high 3 or low 4 digit price for a very high quality binocular, but adding a grand or 2 for a built in rangefinder just blows the price out of the water.
I know that for some hunts a rangefinding binocular could make the difference because of the time savings, but I don't think it would for me... I'll stick with my decent binoculars and a separate, light weight rangefinder.

Still, would be nice to have a pair.

Yeah, I "dream" of them, too.
Shooting Times had a comparison article of the three mentioned by the Op last month. Nice items, but WOW, are they expensive! I could almost be talked into a high 3 or low 4 digit price for a very high quality binocular, but adding a grand or 2 for a built in rangefinder just blows the price out of the water.
I know that for some hunts a rangefinding binocular could make the difference because of the time savings, but I don't think it would for me... I'll stick with my decent binoculars and a separate, light weight rangefinder.

Still, would be nice to have a pair.

I think you and I are on the same page. :) It is only a dream. But sometimes they come true. Right!?

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of binos when I'm glassing a hill... a decent spotting scope, with a lightweight tripod is my preference. Typically, if you're at a distance that you need a rangefinder (most hunting rifles you're going to be in the vitals with a 200yd zero from 0-400 yards). Then there is almost zero need to be in a hurry. Personally, I don't like making rushed shots... every time I do it ends up being a missed opportunity and blows the hunt for the day.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of binos when I'm glassing a hill... a decent spotting scope, with a lightweight tripod is my preference. Typically, if you're at a distance that you need a rangefinder (most hunting rifles you're going to be in the vitals with a 200yd zero from 0-400 yards). Then there is almost zero need to be in a hurry. Personally, I don't like making rushed shots... every time I do it ends up being a missed opportunity and blows the hunt for the day.
400 yard MPBR for most hunting rifles? Good luck. Most common hunting rifles zeroed at 200 yards will drop more than 3" from the POA in under 275 yards. According to the Chuck Hawks "Rifle Trajectory Table", using a maximum rise of 3" above POA and a maximum drop of 3" below POA as acceptable MPBR for deer-sized game (6" high kill zone), even "flat shooting" rounds like the .270 or .300 win mag need to be sighted about 2" high at 200 yards to stretch their MPBR to 300 yards (approx. 290 yards for the .270 and 310 yards for the .300 win mag). Almost all common hunting rounds drop significantly between 300-400 yards, so a 400 yard shot aimed at the vitals with a common rifle zeroed at 200 will generally result in a clean miss. I guess if you're lucky, you might shoot his kneecaps off so you can easily stalk closer.

MPBR is a great tool if people understand it, but it doesn't make up for knowing the actual performance of your rifle and ammo of choice. I don't just mean what the back of the ammo box says it will do; there are too many variables to trust the charts. For instance, most of the charts I've seen are based on 28" or longer test barrels, but the trend in hunting rifles is for much shorter barrels, which can reduce the velocity of the bullet and cause it to drop faster. Everyone has to decide for themselves what they think is ethical, but I don't think we're helping the sport of hunting by giving readers the impression that it is okay to take 400 yard shots without knowing how to compensate for trajectory.

It is hard to find a decent pair of range finding binoculars. I like to have good glass, whether it is spotting scope, binos, or rifle scope. And I am starting to see the need more and more for a range finder. I want a good set of range finding binos, and all I can find is Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss. Can you say Cah, cha, and ching? I do not mind spending a grand or maybe $1500, but these are all over 2 grand and the top two are right at 3 grand. Ouch.

Is there any other top quality range finding bino out there?

http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-12x50-fushion-1-mile-arc-laser-rangefinder-binoculars.html

I have these, a buddy of mine have the model before. We both love these. They are a bit heavy, but they are great. We have hit ranges at 1000+ yards, I've hit 1300 yards to 1400 yards with normal weather. If the atmospherics are right you can hit over the 1720 yards they claim.

Glass is very clear.

Range finders. My favorite advertisement is the one that shows a picture of an elk, through the rangefinder lens, and the readout saying something like "272 yds".

.45-70 users aside, what elk hunter would be benefited by knowing the elk is at "272yds"? Sighted in at 200 yards (or the old standby, 2" high at 100), I believe trajectory of .30-06 or .338 type calibers would render the extra 72 yards to a difference of "left ventricle" or "right ventricle" impact zone.

As to the OP, stay tuned. I may choose to part with a set of just what you are looking for. PM me if you are a serious buyer. Pending final decision, I may make you very happy. This is NOT an advertisement, posted in an incorrect category. Merely a speculative statement.

Last Edited:
If you get the bug and throw down 3k+, don't get the swaros. I have there 10x42 EL swarvision. But the range finder version is not right yet. Hard to read the numbers inside the optics.
Leica are the best.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads