JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was asked to put together a rifle by someone who is concerned about unrest. I think I know the route I'm going to go for them, but looking for input.

This will be their only rifle.

They have minimal handgun experience and zero rifle experience.

They are getting this with the agreement that they are going to take yearly classes at minimum.

This will most likely be used for home defense.

Looking for an absolute highest quality work horse.

Budget for rifle, optic and light is $4-5k.

What would you use, and why?

Last Edited:
If I was buying one off the shelf and if money is no object and you want the best... Knights Armament SR-15 hands down.
Geissele SuperDuty is another fantastic choice... Daniel Defense would round out my top 3 right now.
If only one AR... a 14.5" barrel with a pinned muzzle device(Surefire warcomp is a great choice) to get your 16" overall....
For optics.. LPVO...Vortex Razor Or something similar and an offset Leupold DeltaPoint pro...
Then go see Steve @Cerberus Group for some training and a pile of his excellent High Desert ammo.

that's my opinion anyway....:s0094:

Something for a light I hate giving away my little honey holes but Keith's sporting goods has stream light protac 1000 lumen (119$) and stream light protac 650 lumen (100$) has 10 mode programmable functions strobe/constant high/low to high ect... Comes with pressure pad and end cap beats out the surefire scout by performance and price

Strictly home defense: 12ga shotgun paired with common caliber handgun with 15+ mag. capacity, OR compact pistol caliber carbine/pistol+brace paired with same caliber handgun with 15+ mag capacity. A rifle for home defense is more likely to over-penetrate UNLESS you use more expensive frangible ammo or some other alternative ammo.

NOW, if its a general defensive tool your pal is looking to use in case of civil unrest / bug out / survival, etc; above options will still work but since you said RIFLE:

AR15 with Aimpoint red dot. Since the budget is rather generous, I'll specifically recommend a piston-driven LWRC M6SL with 14.5" or 16.1" barrel. This simple piston driven system is VERY LOW MAINTENANCE. You barely need to clean it because gasses do not enter the action. Barrels are good for 20k rounds, corrosion resistant coating, nickel boron BCG, and much more. I think M6SL is discontinued but you can find one on GunBroker easy. I used to have one and regret selling it to this day. Upgrade the trigger to Geissle SSA or similar @ 4.5# trigger pull. AimPoint T-1 or CompM5 with quality quick detach co-witness mount such as LaRue, BoBro or ADM. Relatively light weight SureFire weapon light with mount, no tape switch, just rear click button. Rear Iron sight. Quality sling, 10 quality magazines with metal feed lips, lots of brass cased ammo and more importantly TRAINING. You'll have money left over maybe get a small surefire suppressor.

Daniel Defense, LaRue, Knights....all solid choices.

....and training, training, and more training. Often overlooked, but just as essential as quality hardware.

I'm a firm believer that training is far more important than equipment. Training is a requirement for me to set him up. I agree that there is no point in owning a high end rifle without training and he is all about it. This is the kind of guy who not only buys a new corvette every time they release a new style, he's taken ths time to go to their driving school. He doesn't care about the cost, just that it will always be better than him.

I intend to have a really simple setup. My thoughts were

14.5"/ pined Warcomp
Top mounted X300U
Fixed irons(prabably Scalarworks)
Cowitnesed T2 or M5 on LaRue mount
Geissele SSA

Last Edited:
KAC SR15E3 ~ $2600
Kahles k16i ~ $2000 - Kahles k18i (if you don't mind going over your budget)
Modlite PLHv2 ~ $330 (I'd suggest a Reptilia Torch light body)

Why?

Knights Armament was the last place Eugene Stoner worked prior to his death, it stands to reason they would put out the most refined AR with his vision and has been a proven performer.

I have found the Kahles series to be the "red dot of LPVO" with super huge FOV, ultra forgiving eyebox, second to none glass quality, very tough yet light weight compared to many other options, auto turn off to preserve battery life plus carries a spare CR2032 on board and outstanding illuminated reticle. A LPVO gives the ability for precision shots and positive ID at extended range well beyond that of a red dot.

Have been using Surefire forever and Modlite has stolen their crown IMO. Vastly superior combination of throw, spill and beam quality all in a compact package that is compatible with Surefire Scout components and mounts.

The above is what I'd call a solid dream gun, that said, given this "They have minimal handgun experience and zero rifle experience." as well as "This will most likely be used for home defense.", I think they would be served just as well if not better picking up a Colt 6920, BCM or SIONICS Patrol 3XL with a Aimpoint T2 and a Surefire Scout M300, lots of mags and ammo and as @Mygrainman says hit up Steve @Cerberus Group for some real deal training.

Last Edited:
I'm a firm believer that training is far more important than equipment. Training is a requirement for me to set him up. I agree that there is no point in owning a high end rifle without training and he is all about it. This is the kind of guy who not only buys a new corvette every time they release a new style, he's taken ths time to go to their driving school. He doesn't care about the cost, just that it will always be better than him.

I intend to have a really simple setup. My thoughts were

14.5"/ pined Warcomp
Top mounted X300U
Fixed irons(prabably Scalarworks)
Cowitnesed T2 or M5 on LaRue mount
Geissele SSA
For HD I would not cowitness fixed irons with a rds. It just blocks too much fov in my opinion. If going with a rds I would just put on folding buis inline or on a 45 degree.

For HD I would not cowitness fixed irons with a rds. It just blocks too much fov in my opinion. If going with a rds I would just put on folding buis inline or on a 45 degree.

A 1/3 co-witness mount fixes that issue IMO, I run a Aimpoint Micro with a standard FSB and LMT L8a rear on one gun and another with front and rear Scalarworks PEAK sights and find both to be an excellent combo.

A 1/3 co-witness mount fixes that issue IMO, I run a Aimpoint Micro with a standard FSB and LMT L8a rear on one gun and another with front and rear Scalarworks PEAK sights and find both to be an excellent combo.
I have some 1/3 cowitness set ups that work fine in most situations but for dedicated hd I would not want anything impeding fov. Just personal preference as always ymmv.

I have some 1/3 cowitness set ups that work fine in most situations but for dedicated hd I would not want anything impeding fov. Just personal preference as always ymmv.

Yeah, I would not like an absolute co-witness with fix sights. If I was to ditch the irons then I use a 1.93" mount but with irons I like the lower 1/3 co-witness setup.

KISS... "Keep It Simple Stupid".

For HD in the AR platform: 11.5" 5.56 AR pistol.... done.

The "buzz-saw twins" below will repel all boarders... and then some. ;):s0155:

84B07D01-7918-47DC-ACE1-C9245983209C.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews