JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've read all I can find about a delayed background check but I haven't seen a case where someone has tried to buy another gun during delay or cancelled the transaction on first delay and then tried to buy another ? I got my delay February 25th OSP gave themselves til April 7th to resolve. I have Oregon and Utah ccw no arrests besides dwi 30 years ago and bought a handgun 7 mos ago no problem, I've called OSP and they haven't returned my call.it's such a crappy feeling being denied for no reason. I wonder if I cancel if I'll get flagged from now on? Any help greatly appreciated

I've seen a gentleman that has been delayed at one store, and the very next morning before the delay was approved Have a new background check go right thru within 10 minutes at another store.

I laid away a revolver at a store and went to pick it up a couple days later as the store was an hour away.
The guy called for a check and it was delayed like i get about every other time I buy.
So I saw this Sig tac pac and told the guy I needed that one too. This was a different guy that called in. I was approved so I asked about the first gun and they said A OK
It's government and there doesn't seem to be any set way they do things
Just wait for Ironmonster's story

If you bought from Keith's, they get your money BEFORE the BGC. Wifey's delay was three months. And yeah, she's got the Ut and Or CCLs. The OSP DID call back though, three weeks after she called and left a message. They called HER to tell her she was good to go, even before they called Keith's as they weren't open yet that day!

It's such a shame. I think they are just delaying people if they are backed up with checks they just start delaying people and then they get lost in the shuffle.

I also think they do a half arsed check and if your info is remotely close to some felons then they delay it with no eta.
I've never been delayed in the 15 or so firearms I've done through an FFL, but if I was I would cancel immediately or request they call again.

Got the dreaded delay Monday and started calling the OSP number right away.
I was shocked yesterday morning when I received a call back from them
I was delayed 5 yrs ago because of an incident that happened in Utah over 35 yrs ago.
When I questioned the young man on the phone about the delay I received on Monday, he told me that the OSP wipe clean their background check info every 4 years and 8 months.
Anything that had been investigated and cleared by them prior to that time frame would need to be re-investigated.
So they are waiting for Utah to get back to them, as that state hasn't upgraded their records to a digital format and will have to be personally retrieved.

Got the dreaded delay Monday and started calling the OSP number right away.
I was shocked yesterday morning when I received a call back from them
I was delayed 5 yrs ago because of an incident that happened in Utah over 35 yrs ago.
When I questioned the young man on the phone about the delay I received on Monday, he told me that the OSP wipe clean their background check info every 4 years and 8 months.
Anything that had been investigated and cleared by them prior to that time frame would need to be re-investigated.
So they are waiting for Utah to get back to them, as that state hasn't upgraded their records to a digital format and will have to be personally retrieved.

This ^ ^ is exactly what Wifey went through. First ever gun purchase delayed for some little indiscretion with NO charges filed, when she was 19. 30 years later delayed. Skip to November 2015, (five years after first delay with several purchases in between), and she's delayed again. It took three months almost to the day and she was cleared. The first delay was 30 days to the day! Our fine officers of the OSP are not really at fault. Under staffing in the various agencies is due to the politicians!

I finally picked up my long awaited mint HK P9s .45 acp at Tigard Pawn 4 More this morning after a month and a half delay.
OSP apparently didn't extend the delay, so I got the come and get it call after a three day wait.
Tim and his crew were more then helpful in this issue and I highly recommend them for transfers.
I forgot to bring a gun safety lock, so I went to the local cop shop and received one for free.

Not sure about other places, but Wade's in Bellevue will charge you something like a 10% fee (of the gun's retail) for cancelling your transaction to buy a given gun.

I shot at Wade's a while back, wow, they are proud of all their stuff. I was the hero of my group because I brought the EBR pistol and a dozen extra targets and handed them out to the 6 of us shooting. Zeroed EBR for close in shooting and for fun put about 15 rounds through a buddy's Thunder 5 (2 inch barreled revolver firing .410 or .45 long Colt which was what I shot). Shot a friend's Sig 5.56 Xi, seemed more of a recoil impulse than my M4gery....Good times! Shot his P226 too, that was humbling......eyes were not happy after lots of road time, caffeine and TV! I did better with my .380.

Brutus Out

Last Edited:
BGC's are one of the resons I am so happy to have a last name that less then 2 dozen people in the USA have. So once you combine that with my first and middle throw in a SSN I'm only dealing with my own record. Never been "delayed" and I think the longest I have ever waited for a BGC was less then 45min and that was due to it being a super busy time of year for sales. My sons last BGC took like 4 hours but it was a christmas time purchase.

I feel for you guys who get screwed over.

I'm spending $115.00 to have a Utah judge purge that 1980 class B misdemeanor off of my record.
Every five years it comes back to haunt me.

I shot at Wade's a while back, wow, they are proud of all their stuff. I was the hero of my group because I brought the EBR pistol and a dozen extra targets and handed them out to the 6 of us shooting. Zeroed EBR for close in shooting and for fun put about 15 rounds through a buddy's Thunder 5 (2 inch barreled revolver firing .410 or .45 long Colt which was what I shot). Shot a friend's Sig 5.56 Xi, seemed more of a recoil impulse than my M4gery....Good times! Shot his P226 too, that was humbling......eyes were not happy after lots of road time, caffeine and TV! I did better with my .380.

Brutus Out
Wade's is a great place to shop for a firearm. It is not necessarily a great place to buy a firearm. I hear that the new executive shooting area is really nice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top