JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting that this site predicts likely leftover spring bear tags, as I read it, and ODFW says none this year for the second year in a row. Maybe they did all get snapped up as second and third choices in the draw. That's possible. What I would like to see is ODFW move to a system where drawn tags that are not claimed are made available to willing hunters. Other states do so.

Wow. This is beyond pissing me off.

when I was younger, there was almost NO limit to the tags available in the Desolation unit for cow or bull.

Way to go ODFW for properly managing the wildlife.

Screen Shot 2019-04-09 at 5.22.22 PM.png

The lower they make your odds by mismanagement, the more then can continue to collect with 'preference point purchases' and application fees.

Wow. This is beyond pissing me off.

when I was younger, there was almost NO limit to the tags available in the Desolation unit for cow or bull.

Way to go ODFW for properly managing the wildlife.

View attachment 567989

The lower they make your odds by mismanagement, the more then can continue to collect with 'preference point purchases' and application fees.

Sucking a lot! I like to hunt East Cascade ML elk. Every year they move the opener up so there is less and less chance of snow. The season used to start around the 20th IIRC and now its in the first week of November. Maybe this whole spreadsheet is a scam, so readers will just not apply :rolleyes:

Even if you're not discouraged by a unit's draw odds, you may still have to climb over the mental hurdle of low historical success rates.

For one unit I hunt the recent success rates have been between 6 and 10% for a elk, and that's a unit a tag is usually drawn only every other year. But the wolves, cougars and bears are doing well, so that's "a win" in somebody's book.

ODFW is laughing all the way to the bank with my money.

funny how everyone is mad about predators. Don't get me wrong I agree that they are out of control and the whole management of elk or predators is even worse. what about poachers or all the elk on private?.... That is where I've seen the most numbers of elk.
Few weeks back I posted a link to protest a proposed elk damage bill which could potentially 'establish an elk damage pilot program and issue limitless cow tags to landowners and others in seven counties. The tags could be given or sold to others and used at night with artificial light.'
I don't think too many people got involved.
And now here we are, mad we are about low success rate.
Can't make this stuff up

funny how everyone is mad about predators. Don't get me wrong I agree that they are out of control and the whole management of elk or predators is even worse. what about poachers or all the elk on private?.... That is where I've seen the most numbers of elk.
Few weeks back I posted a link to protest a proposed elk damage bill which could potentially 'establish an elk damage pilot program and issue limitless cow tags to landowners and others in seven counties. The tags could be given or sold to others and used at night with artificial light.'
I don't think too many people got involved.
And now here we are, mad we are about low success rate.
Can't make this stuff up

Depends on what part of Oregon you hunt in. One NE Oregon unit/cow tag I'd used to apply for in the late 90s early / 2000s doesn't even exist any more, due to dwindling elk herds and increasing (exploding) predator populations, including wolf. And predators don't distinguish between public and private property. They follow the elk herd and pick them off. Maybe someone will feel free to round up 3 or 4 NE Oregon wolf packs and drop them in Western Oregon. Then in about 5 years no one will have to worry about limitless cow elk hunts.

Can't wolves navigate deep snow better than elk?

I don't think so... Elk legs are pretty long. I guess it depends on how deep the snowpack is... wolves may be able to stay up on top of the snow. I was thinking more along the lines of snow covering up traditional browse since elk are grazers... originally plains animals.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top