JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, I've a Draco HG1916-N on its way to my FFL that I plan on converting to an SBR as a sort of project rifle. Can anyone recommend a smith that can drill and tap the rear trunnion once my trust and form 1 paperwork is all squared away? I'm also looking at someone that can do proper engraving for a reasonable fee.

Thanks in advance!

The member @Velzey does great work at reasonable rates; you might contact him for the gunsmithing work. As to engraving, I don't know of what is available up your way, though as @aflineman mentioned, Bye seems to be commonly used by the folks here.

Sounds like a neat-o project. Looking forward to seeing the final results.

Some years ago, I drilled and tapped the rear trunnion on one of my Draco's.... took quite a bit of effort to get the holes drilled and I broke the tap off about half-way through the last hole as the rears are apparently made of super-hard "ultimateium"... removed the FUBAR trunnion, bought a replacement trunnion and was able to drill and tap it w/o issue, then reinstalled it.... bought the replacement trunnion, AK rivet kit, and a rivet setter from AK Builder... good times.

7A3CA8EC-43B8-4FDD-97F2-7C62BC3BD446.jpeg

I'll call Bye Engraving on Monday.

@Stomper Your rifle there is just about what I had in mind, side folder and all. Maybe I'll do some research and see what it would take to drill and tap the rear trunnion myself and then decide if I should take it to a smith or not and PM Velzey when I get a minute and get his take as well.

@CountryGent I'll start a separate SBR build thread with updates. In the future it might help someone who is thinking of doing something similar.

Thanks for the great info!

Tactical Guardian in Sherwood has laser engraving. Takes less than 10-15 minutes, and is extremely well priced. Nothing against Bye Engraving, but if time is valuable to you, it takes an hour, at least, there. Bye uses an old engraving machine, super cool to watch, really long to set up.

As for the rear trunion, it's not too horribly difficult to DIY, but there is always Tim in estacada. He would be able to do anything you need done.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top