JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm going to take that crappy muzzle brake off and put a slant brake on there.
Can I do that legally.
I think I'm going to leave it a pistol for now.
This will be a nice project for the future when I'm bored.;)

Sent in my Form 1 and payment to make my Draco a SBR. About how long does it take to receive your Form 1 back? I'm guessing 3-4 months.
I changed the FCG to a Tapco FCG with retaining plate, Tapco slant brake, US Palm grip, and a Krebs Quad rail is on the way.
When I get my Form 1 back approved I will post a pic.

I think I'm going to leave it a pistol for now. This will be a nice project for the future when I'm bored.;)

Sent in my Form 1 and payment to make my Draco a SBR. About how long does it take to receive your Form 1 back? I'm guessing 3-4 months.
I changed the FCG to a Tapco FCG with retaining plate, Tapco slant brake, US Palm grip, and a Krebs Quad rail is on the way.
When I get my Form 1 back approved I will post a pic.

LMAO... got bored in less than 1-1/2 months, huh? A.D.D. aren't ya? :s0112: :s0155: ;)

If you put a VFG on any pistol it becomes a AOW. To build a AOW (Form 1) it is the same $200 making tax. To transfer an AOW (Form 4) it is a $5 tax.

You seem knowledgable about these things can you answer this?

So my understanding is that the Transfer tax on "All other Weapons" for the BATF is just $5, but manufacturing is $200? and that short barrelled shotguns with pistol grips are considered AOWs as they are technically "smooth bore pistols" or something like that. This would make them a bargain among Class III weapons.(As compared to paying $200 for Suppressors, Short barrel rifle and fully auto.) I have always thought an SBS like the one in the Mad Max movies or an Ithaca autoburglar would be a hoot to own. Basically a side by side shotgun with cut down barrel and a handle. When I go on line and search SBS all those who manufacture them seem to have prices well over $1000. I am not sure why. Compared to manufacturers of SBRs who don't have prices that much different from their standard barrel length products. When the price of a Side by Side "donor" gun is only about $350 retail it doesn't make sense why these are so much more. It seems like the machining to convert it would be relatively straight forward. So my question is can you just take a standard shotgun to a Licensed Class III manufacturer and have them "convert it" with you the owner filing all the BATF paperwork and paying the $5 transfer tax, or is that even possible because of some rule that I am not aware of? Do they have to pay a $200 tax to make it? Does it have to begin life as a pistol or can it be converted? Does anyone on here have experience with this, or know the best way to find the answer? If so does anyone know who does this kind of work? (I am looking only for something totally legal & legit following the letter of the law, I don't want some messed up Randy Weaver kind of back alley thing if you know what I mean.)

You seem knowledgable about these things can you answer this?

So my understanding is that the Transfer tax on "All other Weapons" for the BATF is just $5, but manufacturing is $200? and that short barrelled shotguns with pistol grips are considered AOWs as they are technically "smooth bore pistols" or something like that. This would make them a bargain among Class III weapons.(As compared to paying $200 for Suppressors, Short barrel rifle and fully auto.) I have always thought an SBS like the one in the Mad Max movies or an Ithaca autoburglar would be a hoot to own. Basically a side by side shotgun with cut down barrel and a handle. When I go on line and search SBS all those who manufacture them seem to have prices well over $1000. I am not sure why. Compared to manufacturers of SBRs who don't have prices that much different from their standard barrel length products. When the price of a Side by Side "donor" gun is only about $350 retail it doesn't make sense why these are so much more. It seems like the machining to convert it would be relatively straight forward. So my question is can you just take a standard shotgun to a Licensed Class III manufacturer and have them "convert it" with you the owner filing all the BATF paperwork and paying the $5 transfer tax, or is that even possible because of some rule that I am not aware of? Do they have to pay a $200 tax to make it? Does it have to begin life as a pistol or can it be converted? Does anyone on here have experience with this, or know the best way to find the answer? If so does anyone know who does this kind of work? (I am looking only for something totally legal & legit following the letter of the law, I don't want some messed up Randy Weaver kind of back alley thing if you know what I mean.)

The problem is that to be an AOW, the firearm must start out as a pistol or receiver. A SOT can not simply buy a shotgun then cut down and remove stock and transfer it as an AOW, it would have to be a short barreled shotgun. Similar to the problems of converting a rifle to a pistol. Once a long gun (rifle or shotgun), always a long gun. A SOT can make a AOW from a shotgun receiver, but companies rarely sell them as such. Companies such as Serbu do it this way, and really are some of the best deals on the market if you want a 12ga AOW.

Yeah it seems simple but it sucks to do. Just go for an SBS or SBR or supressor. Full Autos are well over $3,000 for a cheap MAC and up to 16K for M16's and the like but at least it seems like a $200 tax stamp is cheap when its for a $16,000 gun instead of a $150 suppressor lol.

Coctailer can help you with an SBR and i think JC weaponry is on this forum and he is getting me an SBS(mossberg with 14" barrel) sometime soon.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top