JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had a chance to go through the drills for the Oregon DPSST Range Qualification for Handguns at the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club. My range instructor was Bob Pedroli.

We spent a couple hours going over fundamentals like grip, sight picture, breathing and trigger control. After that he took 4 of us through the routine for DPSST (slightly modified because we did not have anything to use for cover for the first stage).
It was a good exercise and let us practice drawing from holster, reloading, and sight picture. Having it timed really adds an extra piece.

Here is the course of fire, and my results;

dpsst_range_OCT2012.jpg

There are two qual standards for this course. The police standard is all 25 rounds in the scoring zone, essentially within the center 'A' zone of an IPSC target; corrections/probation/parole standard is 25 rounds anywhere on the target. Both standards exclude the head zone, viewed as 'lucky misses' since the designated aiming point is center mass.

Sounds similar to the F.A.S.T. Drill
Range: 7 yards
Target: 3×5 card (head), 8″ plate (body)
Start position: weapon concealed or in duty condition with all holster retention devices active; shooter facing downrange in relaxed stance with arms down at sides
Rounds fired: 6

Drill begins from the holster, pistol loaded with exactly two rounds. On the buzzer:

draw
fire two rounds at the 3×5 box
perform a slidelock reload
fire four rounds at the 8″ circle

To count, the F.A.S.T. must be shot from concealment or from a recognized retention holster. Open-top retention holsters without concealment (e.g., Blackhawk SERPA, Safariland ALS) add an additional 0.50 to the shooter's time. Using both a standard duty retention holster (e.g., Safariland SLS, SSIII) as well as flap/retention magazine pouches will result in a 0.50 reduction in recorded time.

Ranking:
10+*seconds:*Novice
less*than*10*seconds:*Intermediate
less*than*7*seconds:*Advanced
less*than*5*seconds:*Expert

He wanted me to mention that he is doing the Multi-State CHL course this Sunday.

I am meeting up with him again next week to work out some more.

Can you please elaborate on exactly what the course is all about? I'm looking for some sort of intermediate training but really don't want to spend $125 for the 8 hour course that seems to be mostly a drawn out basic handgun course that my wife and I took earlier in the year. I.C.O.R.E and USPSA seem to be competitions and not courses.

What I'm really looking for is a course that can hel me build on the basics and then advance to be a better shooter. Right now, I seem to be spending quite a bit of time banging away at the range without any structure and I know I'm not getting any better. You would think the club would do a better job of offering courses and explaining what they are.

Bob is really good at doing the basics, and then building on them to develop skills. You may want to contact him directly, tell him Rod sent you, and he can let you know what he can provide.

We started with the basics, gun handling, Range Safety, etc. then progressed to Target Practice. After we finished the planned itinerary, he worked with a couple of us on the modified DPSST Qualifications (as I listed above).

I am starting USPSA, and I am just setting up my own drills, using different basic standards. I have also been working on some Dry Fire techniques, based on Steve Anderson's Drills. The biggest thing for me has been just getting in some practice, both at the Range, and Dry Fire.

I know he is planning on being at the Range next Thursday (Albany Rifle & Pistol Club).

You can reach Bob at;

[email protected]

Thought I'd give an update on the contact NiceAsh suggested. I'm set up for a 2 hours hands on training course next Friday at ARPC. Don't know if it's full yet but if anyone else is interested, the contact info for Bob is posted above.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top