JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I've got a DPMS Sportical AR15.Review: the DPMS Sportical I am new to ARs and am wondering what would need to be done in order to make this rifle fire .308 cartridges?

Would a complete new upper be the only thing i needed to get, or would i ALSO NEED NEW magazines and other parts? Could I get by with less than changing out the complete upper?

I really am a beginner with ARs so I've got loads of questions about what I can do with them.

It sounds like it should accept any mil spec AR components. I am just curious what all is involved with making it work with .308 cartridges.

Any advice you can share would be appreciated.

You can't.

You need a different upper and lower, barrel, bolt carrier group..

The trigger, stock and grip will change over.

See the size differences?

E1C87B5D-2827-451B-BC3A-950BF7BDE0BB.jpeg 925CDEC7-F625-4D06-B517-9D483F742CA7.jpeg

If I had more time I'd pull my -10 and -15 out of the safe and do a size comparison.

Last Edited:
Would a 6.5 Grendel work out in the AR15 Lower? I was crossing my fingers that I could get a heavier hitting (cheap to shoot) arrangement to fir the AR15 Lower and roll with that.

Otherwise, I am not certin if it is going to pencil out.

Would a 6.5 Grendel work out in the AR15 Lower? I was crossing my fingers that I could get a heavier hitting (cheap to shoot) arrangement to fir the AR15 Lower and roll with that.

Otherwise, I am not certin if it is going to pencil out.
You could switch the upper to a 7.62x39, use the lower you have and buy a few mags.

Radical Firearms 16 in. 7.62x39 SOCOM Barreled Upper
AIM AR/M16 7.62X39 Nitride 9310 MPI BDG Bolt Carrier Group
C Products Defense 20rd 7.62x39 SS AR Magazine

Palmetto is currently out and sell complete uppers with BCG and charge handle usually at a good price.American Made AR-15 Rifles, Assemblies, & Parts | PSA

Last Edited:
So for about $250, I could turn that AR15 into a 7.62x39 rig and have 2 x 20round Magazines? That sounds like a nice option in case I ever want to bag a blacktail with that rifle. Looking at the ballistics, it looks like the drop out past about 200 yards is pretty substantial with the 7.62x39.

Thanks for the help, you guys always know stuff that really shortens the learning curve.

Don't count .223 out as a deer round either. I used one for a while using 69grn Federal gold medal hollow points, Neck or eye gland shot drops em where they stand pretty well even at 200yrds.
Depends on your level of shooting ability and whether you get buck fever though...... I use a .243 and reload 55gr nosler ballistic tips now.

You can legally hunt deer with .223rem.
You could always sell or trade it if you need the extra power, but you'll be missing out on cheap ammo and magazines in an already viable rifle.
Also very popular with coyote hunters.

I'd just get a whole new gun if I needed both.

If you watch for specials at Palmetto State Armory, you can put together a .308 AR for less than $550. I caught a complete upper on sale for $349.99 and a complete lower for $179.99, snapped them together and added a scope. Shoots pretty good, still working on loads.
PA-10 Complete Rifles | Fully Assembled AR-10 Rifles | Palmetto

The only problem is that you get on their mailing list, and before you know it, you have 4 different AR's keeping your .308 AR company in the safe.:eek:

Hello all,

I've got a DPMS Sportical AR15.Review: the DPMS Sportical I am new to ARs and am wondering what would need to be done in order to make this rifle fire .308 cartridges?

Would a complete new upper be the only thing i needed to get, or would i ALSO NEED NEW magazines and other parts? Could I get by with less than changing out the complete upper?

I really am a beginner with ARs so I've got loads of questions about what I can do with them.

It sounds like it should accept any mil spec AR components. I am just curious what all is involved with making it work with .308 cartridges.

Any advice you can share would be appreciated.
As mentioned above, there are two "frame sizes" in AR's
That Sportical is small frame.

If you want something more than 5.56 for your small frame, then look at .224 Valkyrie, 6.5 Grendel or 6.8SPC
Buy a complete upper and lower from Palmetto.
The upper will ship directly to you, the lower will have to go through FFL.

Last Edited:
If you run an ar15 buffer tube you need the small lr308 buffer.
If you run an Armalite or or A5 tube you can use the standard AR length buffer . Milspec carbine stocks fit both , some shorter stocks won't fully collapse on the longer tube though but fully functional

I scored a Palmetto for $700 in a gun shop none the less an AR-10 stainless and free floating with Magpul furniture a while back. I didn't blink at that price.

Could build one for a little cheaper but eh....

AR-15's are accurate enough if you float the barrel but my 308 is damn accurate with Tula munitions too..

7C3EFA54-2C51-4BAA-83EA-08CD99AB8B82.jpeg
^^- that's one -15 that I floated the barrel.

Um, why not buy a dedicated rifle?

But to be sure, I'm not much of a tinkerer and I can afford a new rifle if I want one...so there's that....

For some reason this thread reminds of the guys who want a boat or a motorcycle to turn into something that'll do everything...

Hang on - if a rutabaga was a turnip or vice versa, I'd be happy...

Um, why not buy a dedicated rifle?

But to be sure, I'm not much of a tinkerer and I can afford a new rifle if I want one...so there's that....

For some reason this thread reminds of the guys who want a boat or a motorcycle to turn into something that'll do everything...

Hang on - if a rutabaga was a turnip or vice versa, I'd be happy...
That's part of what makes an AR so great tho, their modularity.

to convert it to 6.5 Grendel it will require a new barrel(either type I or type II), a type I or II bolt/BCG(depending on the barrel) and 6.5 Grendel magazines.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top