Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

DPMS Oracle 5.56- Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by hackercat13, Sep 30, 2011.

1. hackercat13

hackercat13 Steilacoom, WA Active Member

Hello,
    I am thinking of picking up an Oracle from DPMS in 5.56. This is a flat top, no sights so I can mount any optics, and has a 1:9 twist barrel. I plan to put a decent scope and a bipod on this, and use it as an intermediate range shooter (200-400 meters).

Can anyone share opinions or experiences with this rifle before I buy one?
    Thanks!
    Chris

2. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

What grain bullets you expecting to use for the 200-400 yards?

3. hackercat13

hackercat13 Steilacoom, WA Active Member

62 grain should do fine. Even 55 will spin out to 200, don't you think?

4. Chipperxd

Chipperxd Buffalo Active Member

Haven't shot this particular rifle but my DPMS LR308 has a horrible trigger as well. It is the most gritty trigger I've ever felt on any rifle. Even my POS Rem 770 has a better trigger than this rifle IMHO. Only thing I'm going to change out of the DPMS is the trigger.

5. oregonty

oregonty Salem, OR Active Member

DPMS is ok for a wknd shooter. It is fairly cheap and not to be considered top of the line. This rifle will serve 99% of people just fine though. I have fired several and they seem to be good rifles. I would go with CMMG in place of DPMS. They are about the same price and CMMG imho is a better rifle.

FWIW.....I have shot my AR with 55gr hand loads out to 600 yrds. I held a 5 inch group. They do tend to drift in the wind though.