JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Happy Holidays. I just treated myself to the LR-308 for Christmas and would love some feedback about barrel break-in and scope ideas. I'm just a plinker as far as the scope goes, no hunting. The manual has a long process for break-in. I am not dismissing the this process, I just would like to hear what other owners have to say about it. Thanks for taking a look at my first thread.

Shawn

american rifleman just did an article on the proper way to break in a barrel. i skimmed it, but the jist was that its whatever floats your boat. the reporter noted that long distance shooters (800+ yards) typically did not clean their barrels b/c it gave them more consistent shots vs. a constantly cleaned barrel wearing out crowns and rifling.

I recommend cleaning the barrel once and then just go with the flow.

Edit:
the flow being whatever you feel is appropriate for your rifle. i've read up that every barrel is different and there's no one particular way of breaking in a barrel.

Have trained with the same exact rifle. I followed the DPMS protocol for break-in and the LR-308 will hold sub MOA out to 600 yards as long as I do my part. I've not validated on paper beyond 600 but have shot to 900 yards on 8" steel and it hits consistantly on the button and stays there as long as my spotter keeps me and my DOPE tracking.

I can't say the rifle would shoot any better or worse had I not followed the protocol. But following it gives you confidence, if nothing else, knowing you've done everything the manufacturer recommends to make this rifle live up to its potential. FWIW

Crosse, thank you for the heads up on the article. I think of this forum as part of my guide to becoming the captain of my own boat. I appreciate great members like yourself and OFADAN, who help guide me into proper boat floatage. Thank you as well OFADAN, confidence is the only key. I am stoked to find someone that has spent alot of quality time with the same rifle. Thanks again lads, happy holidays.

Shawn

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top